• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Camera Gear Nikon d3500 vs sony a5000???

Electro Maker

I am making videos about diy electronics. I am shooting videos on my table. I want to buy new camera. I want to buy nikon d3500 or sony a5000. What do you think which one is better for my videos. Also if you have got any better camera under 500 dolars you can suggest it. Thank you so much.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I'm going to give you advice on this in a slightly different way than you asked for.

Sony makes great cameras and has some of the best continuous auto-focus you can buy. They make great cameras and great lenses. And there several 3rd-party lens companies that make great lenses for Sony camera. But here's the thing - Sony lenses work with Sony cameras and can not be used with any other camera. So past the base kit, any lens you invest in is just locking you into the Sony ecosystem. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as you realize that is what is happening.

Nikon has been around for a long time. They have a great second-hand lens market. There are also adapters that allow you to use Nikon lenses with higher-end cameras like the Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4k. That same adapter allows you to use Nikon lenses with a large number of Micro 4/3 camera bodies. Nikon lens investments give you a lot more versatility.

Now to your question. Either will work. The decision is more about where you want to go long-term and IF you see yourself investing in additional lenses over time.

Reactions: Leigh Stevie
OP
OP
E

Electro Maker

I'm going to give you advice on this in a slightly different way than you asked for.

Sony makes great cameras and has some of the best continuous auto-focus you can buy. They make great cameras and great lenses. And there several 3rd-party lens companies that make great lenses for Sony camera. But here's the thing - Sony lenses work with Sony cameras and can not be used with any other camera. So past the base kit, any lens you invest in is just locking you into the Sony ecosystem. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as you realize that is what is happening.

Nikon has been around for a long time. They have a great second-hand lens market. There are also adapters that allow you to use Nikon lenses with higher-end cameras like the Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4k. That same adapter allows you to use Nikon lenses with a large number of Micro 4/3 camera bodies. Nikon lens investments give you a lot more versatility.

Now to your question. Either will work. The decision is more about where you want to go long-term and IF you see yourself investing in additional lenses over time.
Thank you so much. I will buy sony a5000.

Regarding your camera choices - the Nikon D3500 and Sony A5000 are solid entry-level cameras and have their strengths. But given the specifics of your use case, I would lean more toward the Sony A5000.

Sony A5000 has better video capabilities, with full HD 1080p video recording, while Nikon D3500 offers 1080p at a lower frame rate. Moreover, the Sony A5000 offers more autofocus points (25 vs 11 in the D3500), which might make focusing easier when you're filming intricate electronics.

Lastly, the Sony A5000 has built-in Wi-Fi, which could potentially simplify your workflow if you want to transfer your footage wirelessly.

As for alternative camera suggestions within your budget, you could consider the Canon EOS M200.

Last edited:

DreadNarratives

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I am making videos about diy electronics. I am shooting videos on my table. I want to buy new camera. I want to buy nikon d3500 or sony a5000. What do you think which one is better for my videos. Also if you have got any better camera under 500 dolars you can suggest it. Thank you so much.
Both the Nikon D3500 and the Sony A5000 are great options, but they have some key differences that might influence your decision.

The Nikon D3500 is a DSLR camera known for its excellent image quality and ease of use. It has a larger sensor, which typically results in better low-light performance and sharper images. This can be beneficial when shooting close-ups of electronic components. However, it lacks some of the advanced video features that other cameras offer, like 4K recording. If you prioritize image quality and plan to primarily shoot in well-lit conditions, the D3500 could be a solid choice within your budget.

On the other hand, the Sony A5000 is a mirrorless camera that's more compact and lightweight, making it easier to handle and carry around. It also offers 1080p video recording, which should be sufficient for most DIY electronics videos. Additionally, Sony's mirrorless cameras often come with a variety of lenses to choose from, allowing you to adapt to different shooting situations. So, if portability and versatility are important to you, the A5000 might be the better option.

If you're open to considering other options under $500, you might want to explore the Canon EOS M50 Mark II, which also offers good video quality and a flip-out screen for easier self-recording. Ultimately, the choice between the Nikon D3500 and Sony A5000 depends on your specific needs and shooting conditions, so consider your priorities and how each camera aligns with them.

digipresence

TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Personally I am a Nikon fan. Due to a wide options of choosing new and old amazing optics/ lens. However, Sony has a great processing technology which is more suiting for video makers. It handles the auto focus in a great manner compare to Nikon. And it is more compact.

• Love
Reactions: Avery78

Avery78

The Sony A5000 and Nikon D3500 are both excellent entry-level cameras, each with unique advantages. The A5000 has a more sophisticated focusing system and a more compact body, while the D3500 has superior battery life and lens compatibility. Make a decision depending on your criteria.