• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

TubeBuddy Tips Question about ranking tags

CT Gena

Not sure how exactly to ask this, so forgive for rambling. I have a video out that has the tag ΓÇ£dad tries to be coolΓÇ¥. It is ranking 4th or 5th. I also have a tag for ΓÇ£when your dad tries to be coolΓÇ¥ which is also ranking 4th. Does it make sense to have both? Or should I replace the longer one since they both contain ΓÇ£dad tries to be coolΓÇ¥?

OP
OP
CT Gena

CT Gena

Thanks for the response. Maybe im focusing my question too much on my example. My question is if I have a phrase in my tags and if that phrase is included in someoneΓÇÖs search will my video be part of that search. Or is it more of an exact match. So like IΓÇÖm my example if someone searches ΓÇ£when you dad tries to be coolΓÇ¥, will YouTube suggest my video if I only had the tag ΓÇ£dad tries to be coolΓÇ¥.

if it does include, then I can eliminate that from my tag list to make room for other tags.
With the videos we make, itΓÇÖs hard to find search terms that have a high search volume without being too generic. So my new strategy is to find some ok search terms that are relevant to my video but also different enough to hopefully capture a larger audience.

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hi ! If you already have phrase which is almost same as the another one and both are ranking same , then you can delete .. this is my understanding.

BUT delete only if you feel that it can be replaced by something better and you are crossing 500 limit.

There should not be any wrong in keeping both if there is plenty of room available.

I just checked in youtube

1. How to make rice without cooker
2.Make rice without cooker
3. Rice without Cooker

All three phrases recommended one video and that video has " How to make rice without Pressure Cooker" in Title + Description ( first 200 words) + Tags list ( not even in first place ).

I just wrote with my little knowledge. Experts can correct me if I am wrong.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Ok, this is kinda difficult to show an example of but bear with me. To my knowledge YouTube allows for a 'margin of error' of about 20% between keywords. If this is accurate then lets take a look:

'Dad tries to be cool' (20 characters)
'When your dad tries to be cool' (30 characters)

The term 'dad tries to be cool' features 20 characters that are an exact match for 66% of the larger keyphrase. Because of this there is a 34% difference between these two phrases. They should both be included in the tags for the video.

• Love
Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Not sure how exactly to ask this, so forgive for rambling. I have a video out that has the tag ΓÇ£dad tries to be coolΓÇ¥. It is ranking 4th or 5th. I also have a tag for ΓÇ£when your dad tries to be coolΓÇ¥ which is also ranking 4th. Does it make sense to have both? Or should I replace the longer one since they both contain ΓÇ£dad tries to be coolΓÇ¥?
If you're ranking for both, use both. I've learned (and Andrew has taught this) that having variations of a tag is a good thing. Sometimes an extra word, or a space, or even a misspelling can mean a tag ranks, and as long as the tag relates to the video, go for it.

For example, I've got tags such has "drawing a spinosaurus head" and "spinosaurus head drawing" very similar, the order of the words are differant, but they both relate to the vide, and they both rank, so if someone were to type in "spinosaurus head drawing" they're just as likely to find my video as they would if they went the other order. And theoretically, not having the two combos, lessens your chances overall for views. The more tags that you rank for, the more options you have to show up in search results.

So it definitely makes sense to have both.

• Love
Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama