• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback Started using Gimp - need some tips

residentcasuals

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hey guys,

We've just started using gimp to bump our thumbnails to the next level.

We basically cut our heads into the image for example:
Untitled.png

When we try and add our heads to the background image there is a massive white background so we have to put our heads behind the background image and cut around them. Which is the above result. It doesn't look as good so we are wondering if anyone has any pointers for this specific issue?

Thanks again guys.

LouisFrost

Aspiring Hero
TubeBuddy User
Hey residentcasuals! I have been using gimp for a few years now.

This is a good start, you have already rendered your images to the background, one suggestion is use the paths tool when rendering your own transparent png. makes it look more smoother!

Now as for the blocky edges theres a fix to that, use the blur tool to remove abit of the blocky surface its not the solution as its pretty much shaped like that but it would surely help.

I did what I can from my end using the image above if you dont mind, shows you what paths and blur can do and alittle color correction do.

Would have been alittle better if I had the raw file itself but ill take what I can for the resources.

Reaction.png

EnglishwithLiz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
That's not bad. I have tried to use GIMP in the past but just haven't invested the time to learn it properly and end up giving up. Like the OP I would welcome some tips or pointing to the best guide as it is clearly a very powerful FREE graphics tool

Reactions: residentcasuals
OP
OP
residentcasuals

residentcasuals

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hey residentcasuals! I have been using gimp for a few years now.

This is a good start, you have already rendered your images to the background, one suggestion is use the paths tool when rendering your own transparent png. makes it look more smoother!

Now as for the blocky edges theres a fix to that, use the blur tool to remove abit of the blocky surface its not the solution as its pretty much shaped like that but it would surely help.

I did what I can from my end using the image above if you dont mind, shows you what paths and blur can do and alittle color correction do.

Would have been alittle better if I had the raw file itself but ill take what I can for the resources.

View attachment 7315

Mate, that is superb. Thank you very much for the advice! We'll take it all on board.

OP
OP
residentcasuals

residentcasuals

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You're welcome! If you do need any help feel free to ask, Ill try my best to explain it.
Will do man, I gave your tips a go and my recent thumbnail came out a lot smoother. Still got a lot to learn definitely moving in the right direction.