• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Question Are Lights From Ring Lights In Your Face Painful To Your Sight?

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am somewhat sensitive to lights directly in my eyes so I am wondering what are your experiences we ring lights pointing right at your face while recording? I have an LED desk lamp I can point in any direction but I have to have it to the side to avoid having the light straight in my eyes. I currently don't have the space to set the light far enough back to perhaps lessen the annoyance in my eyes. But I've been wondering about right lights and if they are just as bad if not worse since in most cases creators have their cameras mounted in the center of them pointing straight at their faces.

How do you handle having light hitting you directly in the eyes? makes me wonder if that's why Dr Disrespect wears sunglasses which happen to fit his persona.

61uM6PyWbOL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have a large ring light and it has never bothered my eyes. The plastic cover seems to diffuse the light well enough, for me. I angle it down slightly, and adjust color/brightness as needed. But I do have to take of my glasses when I film, or the ring is visible in my glasses reflection...

Reactions: BraveStar

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
I think something like the Elgato Key Light Air might be a bit more flexible and able to diffuse better. I personally use it and I don't have much issue with it. You can adjust its brightness and color temperature. It can be controlled using a phone app, a computer app, and the Elgato Stream Deck, making it pretty versatile.

Other observation. Ring lights are designed to provide even diffusion around a subject and give a very "this is video" look. Other lights will provide a more cinematic, film-like look. The way you light to create that effect would also reduce the "straight in your eyes" problem with lighting.

OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have a large ring light and it has never bothered my eyes. The plastic cover seems to diffuse the light well enough, for me. I angle it down slightly, and adjust color/brightness as needed. But I do have to take of my glasses when I film, or the ring is visible in my glasses reflection...

Didn't even consider someone with glasses. I'll be honest, defusing the light didn't cross my mind for some reason. I might be able to pull that off with my desk lamp and some light defusing screen. Thanks.

OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I think something like the Elgato Key Light Air might be a bit more flexible and able to diffuse better. I personally use it and I don't have much issue with it. You can adjust its brightness and color temperature. It can be controlled using a phone app, a computer app, and the Elgato Stream Deck, making it pretty versatile.

Other observation. Ring lights are designed to provide even diffusion around a subject and give a very "this is video" look. Other lights will provide a more cinematic, film-like look. The way you light to create that effect would also reduce the "straight in your eyes" problem with lighting.

Oh yea, Elgato is on my wishlist. It might take some time but I am definitely gonna try out some of their hardware. Especially the lights. I didn't take into account defusing the light so I am gonna look for light defusing material I can use with my current lamp as a temporary fix to see if that helps. Thank you for the idea.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Oh yea, Elgato is on my wishlist. It might take some time but I am definitely gonna try out some of their hardware. Especially the lights. I didn't take into account defusing the light so I am gonna look for light defusing material I can use with my current lamp as a temporary fix to see if that helps. Thank you for the idea.
Look into 2-point and 3-point lighting. The lights will be a bit offset so as not to be strait into your face. Add yes, diffusing will help quite a it.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Ring lights are just like any other light, only they have the bonus of providing light AROUND the camera too, which as it's own effect, but if it's hard on your eyes, there's nothing wrong with having the ring light to the side. I still use a desk lamp, but I should probably upgrade to a ring light, or maybe something overhead.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Any sort of bright lights on me for a long period of time will eventually bake my eyes lol

I have tried those close up shots with the ring lights (where you can see it in your pupils' reflection) and I just don't know how some people do it XD

AussieBangerz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I use one majority of the time..
It's soft enough to not bother me...
It stands around 4ft from my face..

leroygaming

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I don't have ring lights, but I do have two desk lamp style lights, and they are bright, so they do bug me when I have them directly facing me. I have them facing my wall in an angle enough for the light to hit my face still, but without it bothering my eyes.