• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question What happens when someone unsubscribed your channel or when you unsubscribed other channel/s?

vinc8nt

TubeBuddy User
Obviously you lost a number/s of subscribers when someone unsubscribed your channel, or you will no longer receive any notifications from the channel you have unsubscribed. Aside from these, how does the algorithm treats both the doer and the receiver of these actions. Thanks for the answer.

cok sunbro

TubeBuddy User
Obviously you lost a number/s of subscribers when someone unsubscribed your channel, or you will no longer receive any notifications from the channel you have unsubscribed. Aside from these, how does the algorithm treats both the doer and the receiver of these actions. Thanks for the answer.
Well I have been noticing these things for so long. I can only tell you my observations. First of all I never had notifications ON for any channel ever. So I only watch videos from my subbed channels when I see them in feed.
So last month I unsubscribed a PUBG gaming channel, and for few days the channel completely disappeared from my feed and recommended video, while I was able to see other PUBG gaming channels.
Somehow after few days I saw that channel in recommended section of another video. Thing is it only showed me that channel because the topic/keywords of that video was very similar to the video I am watching right now. ]

So in a sense youtube treated that channel just like any other channel that I haven't subscribed to and It only shows its videos if the video is similar to what I am watching and is successful enough to be recommended.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I do the majority of my viewnig from the Home Page and Subscriber Feed. When I unsubscribe I typically lose sight of that channel for a bit, but if they are similar to other content that I continue to watch I will continue to recieve recomendations for that channel. A majority of the time when I subscribe (or unsubscribe) from a channel it is because I enjoy the delivery and personality of the person providing content about something I enjoy. If I unsubscribe I will continue to enjoy the topic, I just lose interest in the personality. YouTube's algorithm doesn't recognize that, so they will continue to feed me content from someone who has managed to get views and watchtime from me in the past simply because the content continues to align with the content I continue to watch.

• Love
Reactions: vinc8nt
OP
OP
vinc8nt

vinc8nt

TubeBuddy User
Well I have been noticing these things for so long. I can only tell you my observations. First of all I never had notifications ON for any channel ever. So I only watch videos from my subbed channels when I see them in feed.
So last month I unsubscribed a PUBG gaming channel, and for few days the channel completely disappeared from my feed and recommended video, while I was able to see other PUBG gaming channels.
Somehow after few days I saw that channel in recommended section of another video. Thing is it only showed me that channel because the topic/keywords of that video was very similar to the video I am watching right now. ]

So in a sense youtube treated that channel just like any other channel that I haven't subscribed to and It only shows its videos if the video is similar to what I am watching and is successful enough to be recommended.

When your channel was unsubscribed let us say for quite a number of times, does it not signal the algorithm to recommend your channel less often than its usual impression in terms of public demand to your channel?

cok sunbro

TubeBuddy User
When your channel was unsubscribed let us say for quite a number of times, does it not signal the algorithm to recommend your channel less often than its usual impression in terms of public demand to your channel?
hmm, it could be the case, actually unsub wont affect, youtube should just see you growing, then it keeps recommending you. For an instance if you are loosing 10 subs and gaining 5 subs everyday, then you are doing something wrong in your videos and yeah youtube should stop suggesting you. But if you are loosing 10 subs and gaining 12, then it is somehow a growth for your channel., because it would affect all aspects like watch hours and views. You just need to keep these metrics rising for youtube to recommend you.

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I've found that after I have unsubscribed to a channel, because I am no longer interested in that type of content, their videos still pop up occasionally in my suggested box - they only way to stop this is by clicking on the dots and specifying that I'm not interested anymore. This is positive from a creator view because people might see a video of yours in the future that brings them back.
I had a look at the channels I'm subbing to last night ( I do this every six months or so) and unsubbed from about a dozen that no longer upload any videos or I haven't watched any of their videos for a while. I think this is a positive thing because they no longer have a subscriber that doesn't watch their content or repeatedly scrolls on down and lowers their CTR.
I haven't found that people unsubbing from me makes a great deal of difference - apart from to my self-esteem. I do look at my analytics to make sure that it's not one video people really dislike.