• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips The titles effect on Click-through rate

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
A few days ago I posted a new video. Earlier today I was going through the statistics and comparing it to my previous two uploads. The new video had a really good, almost 60%, audience retention but both the previous videos got a lot more views in the same amount of time.

After looking at the video, the thumbnail and the title for a short while I realized that I could change the order of the words in the title to make it a lot more "clickbaity" without actually beaning clickbait. When the statistics updated a few hours later you can really see the result of the title change, the click-through rate jumps straight up (the attached image).

I'm posting this just to highlight the title. When people talk about the title it's almost always about SEO and when people talk about click-through rate is almost always about the thumbnail, remember that the title can work miracles when it comes to click-through rate!

Attachments

• click-through.png
    click-through.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Love
Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama
OP
OP
Ater

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
what is a good click-through rate? :neutral:

I'm not sure, but from the tool tip in analytics it sounds like CTR that is close to 10% is really good. This is what YouTube say about it:
Half of all channels and videos on YouTube have an impressions CTR that can range between 2% and 10%.

New videos or channels (like those less than a week old), or videos with fewer than 100 views can see an even wider range. If a video gets a lot of impressions (such as if it appears on the Home Page), it's natural for the CTR to be lower. Videos where most of the impressions are from sources like your channel page may have a higher rate.

Ultimately, it's best to compare CTRs between videos over the long term and keep in mind how their traffic sources will affect their CTRs.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm not sure, but from the tool tip in analytics it sounds like CTR that is close to 10% is really good. This is what YouTube say about it:
Half of all channels and videos on YouTube have an impressions CTR that can range between 2% and 10%.

New videos or channels (like those less than a week old), or videos with fewer than 100 views can see an even wider range. If a video gets a lot of impressions (such as if it appears on the Home Page), it's natural for the CTR to be lower. Videos where most of the impressions are from sources like your channel page may have a higher rate.

Ultimately, it's best to compare CTRs between videos over the long term and keep in mind how their traffic sources will affect their CTRs.

2 - 10% is an average click through rate, but CTR (click through rate) without impressions is useless. Why? you can have a 100% CTR but if that's with 1 impression that doesn't mean anything. I'd say from the data @Ater

A few days ago I posted a new video. Earlier today I was going through the statistics and comparing it to my previous two uploads. The new video had a really good, almost 60%, audience retention but both the previous videos got a lot more views in the same amount of time.

After looking at the video, the thumbnail and the title for a short while I realized that I could change the order of the words in the title to make it a lot more "clickbaity" without actually beaning clickbait. When the statistics updated a few hours later you can really see the result of the title change, the click-through rate jumps straight up (the attached image).

I'm posting this just to highlight the title. When people talk about the title it's almost always about SEO and when people talk about click-through rate is almost always about the thumbnail, remember that the title can work miracles when it comes to click-through rate!

I always say a good title and thumbnail combo can help a video thrive or hold them back. I think you were able to do that here. I try to teach make your title both searchable and compelling and with a good thumbnail is key :) nice work!

• Love
Reactions: Ater