• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Question - If I change to a custom URL...

SimonC

I want to change my channel URL to a custom one - however, I wondered if anyone knows what happens if someone clicks on the old URL after it has changed? Does this become a dead link or will it redirect to the new custom URL?

I have links all over the web to my channel and I am concerned if I change the URL it could impact views.

I should have changed it at 100 subscribers but I totally missed it.

Thanks

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
My old url still works even though I've made a custom one too so yours should still work too. If you want to you can DM me and send me both your custom and old urls so that I can test the links for you.

OP
OP
SimonC

SimonC

Thanks - I haven't changed it yet - do you have both links? Would be great to t test them to give me some peace of mind before I make the change.

OP
OP
SimonC

SimonC

Brilliant, thank you so much!

It is a shame YT doesn't allow you to have your own - my username is quite long - is there a way around this? It only gives me two options and neither looks great (due to my YT channel name having keywords in it).

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I want to change my channel URL to a custom one - however, I wondered if anyone knows what happens if someone clicks on the old URL after it has changed? Does this become a dead link or will it redirect to the new custom URL?

I have links all over the web to my channel and I am concerned if I change the URL it could impact views.

I should have changed it at 100 subscribers but I totally missed it.

Thanks
I changed my custom url a while ago and it didn't seem to have much impact, but I also didn't use my custom url to promote my channel much at the time so I can't really give a full answer. My gut says that the url would be wrong and that it wouldn't send a redirect but I might be wrong. I'm sure others have better answers to this one than me.

I think I changed mine at 5-10k. initially I had the word "channel" in my channel url, like many have YT tacked at the end of theirs, but I found I didn't need to have such a long url so I changed mine and it didn't seem to impact much.