• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips What is the correct length for videos?

Dinuki Niha

Subscriber Goal
WhatΓÇÖs the correct length for your YouTube videos?

Examine the top 10 videos for your topic and create an average. You should then aim to exceed the average length.

Reactions: Lilygissing

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I find the shorter the better, but obviously not just a few seconds long, anything longer than half an hour or even 25 minutes, then I whip out the digital scissors and start find stuff that doesnΓÇÖt need to be there, and off it comes!

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
My videos range massively from 3 to 30 minutes but my channel average is 9 minutes. Most of my recent ones are 5-7 minutes long and I aim to get them up to around the 15-minute mark. I've experimented with longer and shorter videos and my hotel tours tend to do a little better than holiday vlogs - I guess because they are evergreen and more searchable. I've also noticed the more subscribers I have the longer my AVD tends to be, I assume because my followers want to see more of me and watch for longer.

Jarvis Phan

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
I don't think there is a correct length to a video. It just depends on what you are doing and as long you get your point across then it should be okay. I do piano covers, therefore, most pop songs are under 3 minutes these days.

Maryprecious

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I think it has to do with the content especially what you want your audience to learn on that topic. For instance, there are some topics that within the first 3-4 minutes your message is communicated and if you try to drag it because you want to make it lengthen, it may lead to your viewers clicking away which I strongly believe will affect your channel analytics.

residentcasuals

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Depends on the video, for a game review/preview I'd say 10-15 mins but if its an actual lets play upwards to 30-40 mins.

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
@Dinuki Niha It's not about length. It's about Chapter markers now. You can make an hour of content, and when you break up in chapters, it can become bite-sized information, which more people watch the whole part, and your numbers go up.

It also saves you time as you have less to upload, less to keyword, and more time to work on the next project.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
It depends. If you're shooting a film about climbing Mount Everest or K2, it's probably going to be a feature length film, an hour and a half or something. If it's beauty tutorials, maybe three minutes. If you're explaining Einstein's general and specific relativity, it might take 30 minutes for even the most basic concepts. If you're teaching people to make paper airplanes, may two minutes will do.

The length of the video depends on the purpose of the video. If you're looking for a formula, then you're going about it the wrong way.

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
It depends. If you're shooting a film about climbing Mount Everest or K2, it's probably going to be a feature length film, an hour and a half or something. If it's beauty tutorials, maybe three minutes. If you're explaining Einstein's general and specific relativity, it might take 30 minutes for even the most basic concepts. If you're teaching people to make paper airplanes, may two minutes will do.

The length of the video depends on the purpose of the video. If you're looking for a formula, then you're going about it the wrong way.
@Damon Can I ask you which beauty tutorial is 3 mins ?? But on a serious note. It does depend.

RandomFamilia

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I would agree with those who say it depends on your content. Don't try to make your video longer if there isn't a need and don't make it too short either just to make it short. For ads on your videos they do need to be a bit longer.
I tend to go from 5-35 minutes depending what I am doing.

Reactions: Damon

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
The "easy" answer is, "as long as it needs to be and no longer"

But I've been rethinking my approach latley. I've done several 30-50 minute videos because I thought that's how long I needed to show off my work, but I have hockeystick retention, AND it's really time consuming and boring to edit and narrate. Each time I want to review the audio for errors, that can take 30-50 minutes EACH pass to do... that's super time consuming!

So I'm trying to limit myself to 10 minutes, because 10 minutes is a good length to get the messege across, but not going overboard. You only really need to go to the 20 minute mark if you're doing a documentory , but it needs to be a really interesting documentory.

If you can keep a video to a nice healthy consumable 5 minuites, do it, but 10-15 minutes isn't too bad either. But don't make the video any longer than it needs to be. Someone else's attention span won't be the same as yours.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
How long is a piece of rope?
Kind of depends on what you doing with it.

For my channel, my style, and my viewers - 15 minutes, twice a week, seems ideal. I know a guy that puts out 30 minutes almost every day. It works for him. Others do 6 minutes once a week. There is no one size fits most standard.

• Love
Reactions: Damon