• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice How should I allocate my Closed Caption management?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Okay, so I'm heavy into my closed captioning now. It takes FOREVER (because it's boring) to get a video done, especially when my videos often range from 10 minutes all the way up to an hour long.

There's closed caption services that charge per minute of video... whic is good for my short videos, 3 bucks here and there for a short video is nice, BUT I could do those myself as well.

My 30+ minute videos... while tedious to do myself, would also be expensive to get captions outsourced. 1 dollar a minute, quickly turns to 30-60bucks per video... and I still have a lot of videos to get done.

My question here, is do you think I'd be better off doing the longer captions myself, saving that one lump sum payment, and put that money towards seveal short video captions? OR do you think I should just pay to let someone else handle my much longer videos, and focus my time on doing many shorter videos that are a lot easier for me to do.

If you were in my position, what would you go with? As it stands, I don't have the budget to hire someone to do EVERY one of my videos... which is why I recommend if you're starting now, do all your own captions as soon as yoru videos are made, so you're not left trying to annotate 100+ videos in a catch up session.

Xarty

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I think you should make the captions yourself as long as you have time for that.
If you don't have time to make captions for longer videos, hire your friend for a price smaller than on the websites as long as they agree, of course.
If they won't agree, then maybe actually get captions from the website, but only for longer videos to not spend too much money.

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It's easy to tell you to do on your own. Per video 30-60 bucks .. hmm.. lot of money to spend but again it would be really monotonous for you.

If two people can do it together, I am sure the progress would be so much better. As @Xarty mentioned, talking to a friend or relative would be better. Maybe a post here in Tubebuddy in Colab section ?

You can do 2 short videos and 1 long videos but that all depends on you. If you think paying that money would make you focus on more important stuff youtube wise and personal wise , then do it.

If you think it's ok to get along with slow process, then do it.

If I were in your position, I would do two things
1.Schedule a time table and do this every alternative day so that I won't feel much annoying.
2. Talk to my friends if they can help, even if it is one long video per day also fine. something is better than nothing.

That's it.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Whew... that is a tough question man. My approach:

Go to the store, grab yourself a big bottle of aspirin and the biggest, strongest can of coffee they got. Call your friends and family and let them know you will not be available for calls or anything else for the weekend. Put on your best pajamas, throw on some Mozart and just go to town on Captions.

I've actually done my own captions like this (taking a slab of time and focusing on nothing else). It's draining, and my videos top-off at about 20 minutes (and I don't talk as much either). So yeah, your's are going to be super-taxing. But that is what I would do. Would I suggest someone else do the same? I don't know. I sure wouldn't wish the task ahead of you on anyone but my greatest enemies though. Good luck.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Okay, so I'm heavy into my closed captioning now. It takes FOREVER (because it's boring) to get a video done, especially when my videos often range from 10 minutes all the way up to an hour long.

There's closed caption services that charge per minute of video... whic is good for my short videos, 3 bucks here and there for a short video is nice, BUT I could do those myself as well.

My 30+ minute videos... while tedious to do myself, would also be expensive to get captions outsourced. 1 dollar a minute, quickly turns to 30-60bucks per video... and I still have a lot of videos to get done.

My question here, is do you think I'd be better off doing the longer captions myself, saving that one lump sum payment, and put that money towards seveal short video captions? OR do you think I should just pay to let someone else handle my much longer videos, and focus my time on doing many shorter videos that are a lot easier for me to do.

If you were in my position, what would you go with? As it stands, I don't have the budget to hire someone to do EVERY one of my videos... which is why I recommend if you're starting now, do all your own captions as soon as yoru videos are made, so you're not left trying to annotate 100+ videos in a catch up session.

Captions are vital and for people who need them what you are offering is invaluable, I'd set some time each week tackle a video as fast as you can and do what you can. Also with your size see if you can get a caption sponsor, and that could work multiple ways of benefit.

Reactions: Travel Interesante

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
That's a smart suggestion from Andrew for sure and shouldn't be too difficult to do an in video call out for in a natural way if they do agree. I'd recommend focusing on your most popular/well performing videos first to make sure those are taken care of and then go back to the others.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
BTW, I've found with Rev if you pay them for a foreign language subtitle, they also do the english version and upload it. I'm currently running an experiment with Spanish subtitles and they updated and improved my English close captioning at the same time.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

saazaggah

I would hire