• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion "How Long Does It Take To Blow Up And Be Popular?"

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Don't forget that Jacksepticeye got a huge shoutout from pewdiepie, there's no saying what could have happened to his channel if he didn't go viral like that.

There are people who are associated with big Youtubers and it still takes them years to get big. Look at Markiplier's group, Lordminion777 hasn't hit 2 million subs yet and has been doing it for a decade. I know a gaming channel that has 11K subs despite having more than 200 videos over the course of 11 years.

Even if a channel is steadily growing, it can take 5 years or more to get to the point where they are moderatley sized, but even longer to be big, unless they do something viral.
Many people got a shoutout from pewdiepie, many who got a much bigger shoutout than Jack got (pewds basically said he liked his accent and "top of the morning" and that was about it) many other channels had much bigger shoutouts and did nothing with it. I think Jack said he got a few thousand subscribers from it, which at the time would have been massive for him, but he mentioned that it had no lasting impact.

Even pewds mentioned that in a stream with him more recently, I think with their bottle flip collab, that jack worked long and hard for it while many others feel off the face of the planet.

Lordminion unfortunatly isn't that exciting to me. And my point is mostly just to have patience. people are hoping for the million subs in a month which just isn't going to happen. You might not even get a million subs in 10 years. It's a long game.

ManUnitedFan

Many people got a shoutout from pewdiepie, many who got a much bigger shoutout than Jack got (pewds basically said he liked his accent and "top of the morning" and that was about it) many other channels had much bigger shoutouts and did nothing with it. I think Jack said he got a few thousand subscribers from it, which at the time would have been massive for him, but he mentioned that it had no lasting impact.

Even pewds mentioned that in a stream with him more recently, I think with their bottle flip collab, that jack worked long and hard for it while many others feel off the face of the planet.

Lordminion unfortunatly isn't that exciting to me. And my point is mostly just to have patience. people are hoping for the million subs in a month which just isn't going to happen. You might not even get a million subs in 10 years. It's a long game.
Yes I agree and am gonna try for many years I guess

Pips

www.Coffeewithpips.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, there are those who will stick with it no matter what. Surprising how those who stick with it end up making it.

@Ater Exactly, better quality does not equal an automatic path to popularity. Think of the number of TV shows and movies that have hundreds of millions of dollars in production, just to flop once it premieres or heirs. That's with whole armies of pre-production, production and post-production crews making the highest quality possible. Yet, they still fail to achieve success many times.
Very well stated, good points you make.

Reactions: Damon
I'll add another point here. I think arguably, it will take even more time than before because Youtube and other social media channels have become overly saturated with content. So it really takes top notch content, frequent video uploads (at least once a week) to even get noticed. That's also depending on your niche and audience you are targeting. However, I won't necessarily say that you have to research and target popular keywords in order to grow your channel. My friend, who is really doing an amazing job on youtube (200K subs), has popularized "brand design" before it got popular. If he did the research a couple years ago, there were not a lot of searches for that term. So he has made it his own. The main thing is being different....and potentially having a good spin on something that exists. A lot of the viral stars create over the top content and some of the top creators are able to be entertaining and educational at the same time. Having good camera presence, cutting to the chase, good audio, video lighting, can make a difference to your final message. As many people have said, it takes a lot of time to get discovered. Don't focus on being famous. Focus on the value you bring.

• Love

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I uploaded a video less than 24 hours ago and it already has almost 7,000 views. This is my first time EVER getting views this fast and I'm not entirely sure why this one video is doing so well, but it does go to show that it can take a while to go big on YouTube cause I been uploading for a few years now.

• Love

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I uploaded a video less than 24 hours ago and it already has almost 7,000 views. This is my first time EVER getting views this fast and I'm not entirely sure why this one video is doing so well, but it does go to show that it can take a while to go big on YouTube cause I been uploading for a few years now.

If you could figure out what's going on, you might be able to really ramp that kind of video up!

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
If you could figure out what's going on, you might be able to really ramp that kind of video up!
I sort of know what's happening. Those videos I been uploading recently have been related to a game that I play, and currently on the game there are certain targets that you have to fight daily to be able to complete something for a special reward so I been making videos on who the targets are. So right now every one in the game is searching for those targets. But this event in my game ends in about 9 days, so I'm hoping my game has something similar next month so that I can keep making videos towards this series otherwise it's dying in 9 days. But I have gotten requests to make other videos related to the game so I do plan on doing that.

• Love

WV Pet Project

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi,

To grow your channel fast, my advice would be:
  • think first a lot about your niche, your target, their habits, their needs... (because you can provide the best content for 3rd age people for example, but if they're never watching videos on YouTube, it will take a lot of time to grow....)
  • upload a loooot of videos ! I'm pretty sure not everybody would agree on this point but, particularly if you're fresh new on YouTube, I would rather post 50 videos with medium image quality than 5 or 10 videos with astonishing quality. The more you upload, the more you are noticed, the more your videos are presented to potential subscribers, the more watch time hours you get, the more likes/comments you get, etc.
    Again, if you're fresh new, your organic potential growth on YouTube is limited, and your audience will not be so big... so I would advise anybody to focus on creating a lot of content to grow faster, rather than focusing on making great quality videos
  • search for the right keywords beforehand and create content accordingly (much content around the same keywords is even better)
  • be consistent and define goals for 2 months, 3 months or 6 months. Ex: I will upload 100 videos regularly for the next 6 months and then I'll see if I still give it a chance or not
  • inform your audience precisely about your schedule. Ex: a new video every 2 days at 4pm
  • try to stay in touch with your target audience (in your comments or in commenting on others' videos, on Instagram, etc.)
  • (option) test new things: sometimes, some "new ideas" won't work at all for your audience but you should keep trying new things from time to time

Personnaly, I uploaded my first video on YouTube 2 months and a half ago (it will be 3 months in about 10 days).
I'm almost at 1k subscribers (for 88 videos) and already hit 4k watch time hours.
But it's a lot of work: especially since I decided to upload one video per day. Since then, I work on average, for YouTube only, one hour and a half per day, everyday.
That is FAST growth! congratulations!

Reactions: Tarot et Intuition

WV Pet Project

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I sort of know what's happening. Those videos I been uploading recently have been related to a game that I play, and currently on the game there are certain targets that you have to fight daily to be able to complete something for a special reward so I been making videos on who the targets are. So right now every one in the game is searching for those targets. But this event in my game ends in about 9 days, so I'm hoping my game has something similar next month so that I can keep making videos towards this series otherwise it's dying in 9 days. But I have gotten requests to make other videos related to the game so I do plan on doing that.
I agree- definitely need to figure out what you did in that video and replicate it over and over! Good luck!!!

• Love

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
That great, weΓÇÖll all get there, just gotta keep on striving through the hard roads :)