• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Can I use my same videos on 2 different channels if I create a more specialized niche?

ScenicSitesAndBites

TubeBuddy Pro
scenicsitesandbites.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi,

I'm new to the forums although I have been creating videos since December 2019. My channel is about Travel and Food but lately I have been focused on doing the Keto diet and have been creating recipes and making cooking videos for this. My issue is that these are a pretty specialized niche and I am contemplating making a second channel focused only on Keto.

If I do start a second specialized channel, can I upload the same videos that are relevant to that channel, having the same video on 2 channels or is this not allowed? Also if it is ok for previous videos that were already on the original channel, can I post future identical videos to both channels?

Zack

KOTW

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I stand corrected but I don't think that you can. I think that you will get a content strike against you.

You could simply change the music and slightly edit the video so that they are not identical. Maybe?

Reactions: ScenicSitesAndBites
OP
OP
ScenicSitesAndBites

ScenicSitesAndBites

TubeBuddy Pro
scenicsitesandbites.com
Subscriber Goal
That's what I was afraid of. I wonder if I just moved the specific content to the new site and marked those videos on the original channel private, would that also give me a strike? I guess if not then it would be a good opportunity to improve the videos in edit.

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am Interested to know why same video on 2 channels.

Why not make one Private / Unlisted and other one public if you decided to do so?

OP
OP
ScenicSitesAndBites

ScenicSitesAndBites

TubeBuddy Pro
scenicsitesandbites.com
Subscriber Goal
I am Interested to know why same video on 2 channels.

Why not make one Private / Unlisted and other one public if you decided to do so?
I will probably have to do that, the only reason I was debating about keeping a copy or version is because it was still food related which is a part of the main channel but I don't want to cause problems for myself so I will have to decide to split the channel and make these unlisted or not split it and continue as I am.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
That brings up a good question.
I started a 2nd channel. After 6 or 8 videos I was done. I could make more, but I was done with it. So... I copied the vids to my main channel, into a playlist. But I never deleted the 2nd channel. So, there are 2 copies of those 6 or 8 vids. Should I delete the 2nd channel? Will it hurt anything to leave them? (It was about 2 years ago)

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Wouldn't you need to make a copyright claim against yourself in order for this to be an issue? Unless I am misunderstanding how YouTube works.

That's how smaller channels are allowed to repost songs which they do not have the copyright for. Technically they are not allowed to post it, but it is up to the copyright owner to make a claim to get it removed... unless it is such an obvious infringement in which YouTube does it automatically.

OP
OP
ScenicSitesAndBites

ScenicSitesAndBites

TubeBuddy Pro
scenicsitesandbites.com
Subscriber Goal
Wouldn't you need to make a copyright claim against yourself in order for this to be an issue? Unless I am misunderstanding how YouTube works.

That's how smaller channels are allowed to repost songs which they do not have the copyright for. Technically they are not allowed to post it, but it is up to the copyright owner to make a claim to get it removed... unless it is such an obvious infringement in which YouTube does it automatically.
That's an interesting thought. Obviously I wouldn't complain about myself so maybe YouTube wouldn't even know or care that I had 2 copies.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Technically you can if you own all the rights to everything you've created, but Nick Nimmin has warned about this as it would be considered "duplicate content" so I would say no.

But if you're ever concerned about what you can and can't do on YouTube... they do have a (lengthy) terms of service that you SHOULD be familiar with anyway, because they outline exactly what you can and can't do... it's just that many people simply don't read it and just go "Accept" when it comes up without reading.

Reactions: KOTW