• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Research What do you understand from this Audience Retention graph ?

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
HI ! It's extremely Important to understand Retention graphs to understand our performance. I have started my research on it .

This is an example of one of my video. All I understand that the Intro is not good and some parts are boring. What do you understand ?
1597081165458.png

Can you Share your Retention graphs ? I want to see how first 8sec is looking for everyone.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
HI ! It's extremely Important to understand Retention graphs to understand our performance. I have started my research on it .

This is an example of one of my video. All I understand that the Intro is not good and some parts are boring. What do you understand ?
View attachment 7002

Can you Share your Retention graphs ? I want to see how first 8sec is looking for everyone.

People are skipping ahead to parts they're interested in. It looks to me the intro isn't connecting. There are some dips, but this isn't too bad. I deally though you want a healthy steady viewership, but it does appear people are clicking around and watching a lot of the video. I'm just curious on how longer videos will perform.

OP
OP
kitchen c/o ammama

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
People are skipping ahead to parts they're interested in. It looks to me the intro isn't connecting. There are some dips, but this isn't too bad. I deally though you want a healthy steady viewership, but it does appear people are clicking around and watching a lot of the video. I'm just curious on how longer videos will perform.
My videos are usually 2-3 min . Mostly about recipes done in shortcuts. I myself don't click on videos with longer duration when it comes to learning some new recipe. So, I decided to keep it short without wasting time but sometimes I add drama to it to make the recipe interesting ... In that case, my video goes up to around 6-7min.

Here is one such graph ( I put little too much talk after I presented the final dish at the end )
1597082065613.png

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
yep, people are skipping ahead, OR they're rewinding to gather more information on your process or what you're delivering. If someone didn't catch something the first time around, they'll rewind back a little bit to re-watch a portion (which maybe could indicate the need to go a little slower in some area in case people didn't get all the information you were delivering right away?)

That said, I envy your percentages there :) I think most intros lose people.

Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama

Gary L

My videos are usually 2-3 min . Mostly about recipes done in shortcuts. I myself don't click on videos with longer duration when it comes to learning some new recipe. So, I decided to keep it short without wasting time but sometimes I add drama to it to make the recipe interesting ... In that case, my video goes up to around 6-7min.

Here is one such graph ( I put little too much talk after I presented the final dish at the end )
View attachment 7003
I have a cooking channel as well and my retention graph looks like that also. i think its natural for viewers to watch the intro and decide that this is not for them and leave.

I use to have a summary of the video as a hook then an intro before going into the step-by-step recipe. I've changed that recently. Now I use a nice picture or a panning shot of the final dish as the hook and removed my intro altogether. I am waiting to see if this will flaten out the initial drop in retention.

OP
OP
kitchen c/o ammama

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
yep, people are skipping ahead, OR they're rewinding to gather more information on your process or what you're delivering. If someone didn't catch something the first time around, they'll rewind back a little bit to re-watch a portion (which maybe could indicate the need to go a little slower in some area in case people didn't get all the information you were delivering right away?)

That said, I envy your percentages there :) I think most intros lose people.
Thank you ! I have not thought in that way.

and I was thinking that my percentages are bad and % above 60 are good. haha

OP
OP
kitchen c/o ammama

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have a cooking channel as well and my retention graph looks like that also. i think its natural for viewers to watch the intro and decide that this is not for them and leave.

I use to have a summary of the video as a hook then an intro before going into the step-by-step recipe. I've changed that recently. Now I use a nice picture or a panning shot of the final dish as the hook and removed my intro altogether. I am waiting to see if this will flaten out the initial drop in retention.
Totally get it .

I have final output & then an intro and then the recipe

Now, I am planning to cut the Intro and keep as - Final Output and then the recipe procedure starts.

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Thank you ! I have not thought in that way.

and I was thinking that my percentages are bad and % above 60 are good. haha

Above 60% is ideal... same with 10%+ CTR... but you can still have success below those marks. My wife and I really enjoy how open Content Bug/Cathrin Manning is with sharing her analytics. She routinely shares statistics for videos that have 100k+ views with CTR's in the 6-8% range and retention percentage in the mid 30's. Obviously what works for her won't work for everyone, but it is just a way to show the 60% retention, 10% CTR rule isn't a hard rule.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Well, if weΓÇÖre gonna play with retention graphs, hereΓÇÖs how a couple of my videos are doing (I mostly use the mobile app version of YT studio, as my computer thinks itΓÇÖs in the 70s):

This is from my Lamborghini Aventador painting:
E4283006-F93E-4E6E-AF9F-96207EC07719.png

and this is more recent, my Summer Beach Pt 2:
E9183737-6228-4B9C-AE37-A8145C46EA9C.png

I still have a long way to go, but considering IΓÇÖm 4-5 months in and with 24 videos, and considering IΓÇÖm not uploading as often as I can, because you know, oil paintings do take some time to do, IΓÇÖm more than happy with the results and the numbers, despite not paying attention to them but focusing on uploading and improving the content.

In short, IΓÇÖm heading in the right direction at the right pace.