• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips 2 step verification GET IT DONE!

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
If youΓÇÖre a small channel like mine, then youΓÇÖll probably be glad that youΓÇÖve dodged a bullet here, what am I going on about?

Well, a few of my favorite channels that I follow got hacked (somehow), and lost their content, and these videos had some nice beefy views too, so imagine your channel with some great videos that carry some good numbers were to just suddenly up and disappear, and these hackers cleaned out half your channel, or even the entire thing? All your hard work GONE! All your awesome content nowhere to be seen, and itΓÇÖs at this point youΓÇÖd only hope you kept your final edit saved somewhere, because I can only imagine the feeling of losing all of that hard work! So what you want to do is:

1) get that 2 step verification done, no questions! I just did mine.

2) if you arenΓÇÖt doing it, back up everything you create somewhere. I keep all my final edits on my ext HDD, just in case something were to go wrong (knock on wood).

3) and for crying out loud, donΓÇÖt use a password thatΓÇÖs easy to crack, but at the same time donΓÇÖt create a password that looks like it could reprogram the Mars rover module. Just make sure it has a couple of uppercase, maybe a character like $ or ! or whatever you want, and maybe a couple of numbers, and just make sure itΓÇÖs easy enough to remember but hard enough to crack (some sites let you see the strength level).

Of course there are no guarantees against hackers, theyΓÇÖll find a way though whatever is put in front of them, but if we can at least grab more time by activating the 2 step verification, it may give us the time needed to take whatever action we need in order to protect our content.

Stay safe everyone.

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Valuable advice that many may not consider. We use 2 step verification now on a lot of important things, including YT/Google.

#2 is also wise advice, and you can find a regular 4TB HD from good brands now for under $100, no reason to not make that investment if you have the spare change around.

OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖm hoping every creator does back up their content, regardless of how big or small their channel is, like I say thereΓÇÖs nothing more devastating than seeing your channel suddenly empty, especially if there were something like 100+ videos on it, even worse if none of that was backed up, ok sure itΓÇÖs trouble to put everything back on, but at least the back ups are there to save a lot of refilming, or starting over again.

Reactions: zeista

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have used the 2 step verification for a long time. Not sure when, but pretty sure the first time they offered it.

As an old Win 3.1 user I am pretty hard core on backups ha ha. I do not trust any computer storage or online storage, though I do use online storage for some things. But I have six 4 Tb external drives. There are three disks of backups - and two copies of all three.
It is all my YT & blog backups, but also all my software, pictures, music and DVD backups. (I had 6 or 8 DVDs erase themselves so I made iso copies of all the rest)