• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Why rush for monetizing [tips for those wanting monetization]

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
When I first started my channel, I had those dollar signs boinging from my eyes, but upon starting my channel, the hard reality of how much work IΓÇÖd be in for hit me with a 3 stage quad shot combo to the jaw, meaning, I was looking at a loooooooong road to reaching this milestone, but how long of a journey it would become will depend on how much effort I put into my channel and how much patience I exercise, but no matter what is thrown in my way, I already have some small goals set at different points of my journey.

The question is (and itΓÇÖs been asked around this forum many times), what is your REAL intention for being on YouTube?

Well, if youΓÇÖre so focused on getting monetized as quickly as you can, I got some terrible news: even if you reach the 1k subscriber and 4K hours requirement, and you are accepted into the partnership program, ok thatΓÇÖs great you got there and you have every reason to celebrate, but that will be short lived once you realize how much youΓÇÖll actually make, which in the beginning probably wonΓÇÖt even buy you a childΓÇÖs cheeseburger! YouΓÇÖd make more wrapping peopleΓÇÖs fish n chips!

IΓÇÖve read that itΓÇÖs around $1/1000 views or something like that (feel free to correct this), so in order to make a full time like income from that, letΓÇÖs say $4000, thatΓÇÖs quite comfortable, youΓÇÖll need something like 4M views with a certain amount of watch time in there too (canΓÇÖt remember how much of that), and thatΓÇÖs not a fixed monthly thing too, you would have to keep making 4M views every month (again, feel free to correct any of this).

So the next time you annoy everyone to subscribe and watch your content to get you to monetization, step back and ask yourself: is this all youΓÇÖre on YouTube for?

Food for thought: these kinds of creators usually have a channel full of garbage content in the hopes that no one will notice, but most viewers arenΓÇÖt stupid, theyΓÇÖll see right through it all, and then move on to another channel with worthwhile content, and probably even subscribe to that channel instead of the money hungry ones.

So my tips for now are these:

1) donΓÇÖt just focus on numbers, especially in the beginning, put that energy into building a professional looking channel and of course great engaging and entertaining content, and be patient, the numbers will work for you in the background without you having to lift a finger, but just focus on your content, and keep uploading, the sweet spot is in the 50-100 video range.

2) YouTube is not here to replace your job, no matter how much you dream of such a thing. YouTube should be about having fun, and it will definitely show in your content, but it should never replace your day job. A lot of youtubers I follow all have their regular day jobs, and even after monetization, this is still a side project for them, so donΓÇÖt give up your job for this. Ok it is possible to be a full time YouTuber, but it doesnΓÇÖt come easy.

3) There are other sources of income from your videos too, through adverts and affiliates, paetron etc, not just YouTube itself, but again, this should not be a replacement for your day job, unless youΓÇÖve reached the point of generating the monthly views to support a comfortable monthly full time like income, again, it wonΓÇÖt come easy.

4) Harassing everyone wonΓÇÖt get you the subscribers and views, especially if your channel only has a handful of mediocre content, which means you wonΓÇÖt reach your monetization goal in the quick time that you hoped for.

5) Research the niche you want to enter, find the gaps that need filling, and try to fill them, educate yourself on what it is the niche wants and needs, and socialize with other creators within that niche, donΓÇÖt just be a loner.

6) DonΓÇÖt self promote your content and do nothing for others, that comes across as selfish, desperate, and definitely wonΓÇÖt get you to your monetization goal anytime soon. Join some groups on the different platforms, socialize with everyone, compliment other creators work, create fun comments games (I do this on Facebook occasionally), get yourself known within that group, build up a little community of your own if you want, just donΓÇÖt drop in, leave a name card and then hightail it out of there, itΓÇÖs rude and definitely squashes your monetization chances.

I have no plans to hurry my channel to monetization, and anyone that subscribes or not is their choice, and anyone that watches my content, is their choice, I only promote my stuff where I feel it would be needed, but nothing more, in fact IΓÇÖm promoting less and less now. My purpose on YouTube is to just have fun uploading and give my viewers something useful to take with them, and to share my passion for oil painting.

I think IΓÇÖve said enough here, please feel free to correct anything that isnΓÇÖt right, or just join in on the discussion and exchange other ideas and thoughts.

Have a great day everyone

Last edited:

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hi ! Thanks for the detailed explanation . I really appreciate it . People who are only for earning money and thinking that monetisation is everything should read this and also understand the reality .

I was wondering why No one is commenting on this and commenting on other posts which are a month or two old . Anyway , I want others to read this and express their thoughts too .

By the way, I noticed that you changed your title . People not engaging here has nothing to do with the title I guess .

Reactions: Damo’s Paintings

Dr Pixel Plays

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I was wondering why No one is commenting on this and commenting on other posts which are a month or two old . Anyway , I want others to read this and express their thoughts too .
I agreed basically with everything he said, so I gave his post a like. I don't get either why people are soo keen on getting monetized. Sure, it's a milestone on your journey and brings you to the next level, but in the beginning, it's literally just a few dozen bucks.

Well, and I personally like having the opportunity to make some money out of it. I find it incredibly motivating. But I'm in general an entrepreneurial-minded person.

Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for this lovely write up. Many think Monetization means raw cash until they finally get it then they understand that it is nothing like that. You work very very hard even after the milestone has been met.

Reactions: CBDHeadquarters
OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
By the way, I noticed that you changed your title . People not engaging here has nothing to do with the title I guess .

Hey there yeah I just had to get it out there, wake up those that are under the delusion of living like rock stars from 1k subs and 4k hours, make them see that while very few got lucky, YouTube isnΓÇÖt going to make them rich.

Oh yeah, I changed it to suit the content, but also noticed someone copied and pasted my old title into another forum too, so yeah thatΓÇÖs all really

I agreed basically with everything he said, so I gave his post a like. I don't get either why people are soo keen on getting monetized. Sure, it's a milestone on your journey and brings you to the next level, but in the beginning, it's literally just a few dozen bucks.
Good to know, I posted this to wake up anyone that feels they need monetization so badly, to make them see that jiggling their hips to a crowd would earn them more than 1k subscribers worth of views ever would, however IΓÇÖm in no way against getting monetized just for an extra bit of income on the side.

Thanks for this lovely write up. Many think Monetization means raw cash until they finally get it then they understand that it is nothing like that. You work very very hard even after the milestone has been met.
ThatΓÇÖs what so many of these wannabes donΓÇÖt realize, they just see dollar signs blinging around their eyes, not realizing the real hard yakka thatΓÇÖs involved.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I love this. I loath the hunger for the almighty monetisaion, because as a channel with 27 thousand subscribers, I can tell you the money side of things isn't as glamorous as people expect. I mean, it's always nice, but it's definitely not a life changer until you're at the hundreds of thousands of subscribers and hundreds of thousands of views. You might get 20 bucks, wich i guess in some countries is a huge amount, but I still don't think it's worth the stress people put themselves under to rush it.

YouTube was always originally about creative expression and sharing our passions. Rushing to make money makes the whole thing hollow, and I do think that a lot of the complaints people have about YouTube and "YouTubers" is stemmed by the hunger for money over passion.

Gunjit

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Just keep doing youtube properly and you will be monetized in no time

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Do you think monetization has become the main goal now that it has set criteria? Getting 1000 subs is my second goal post having reached 100 subscribers because it's a nice round number, but I have much higher aspirations - 100,000 subscribers. This may never happen, but I want a challenge.
I would love to know the dropout rate for creators, how many subs they had, and how long they persevered with their channel. It's taken me two years to get to nearly 500 subs because I made a LOT of mistakes e.g random video themes, inconsistency and poor SEO. But I wouldn't change that because the knowledge I gained in that time has been invaluable.

Reactions: CBDHeadquarters
OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Do you think monetization has become the main goal now that it has set criteria? Getting 1000 subs is my second goal post having reached 100 subscribers because it's a nice round number, but I have much higher aspirations - 100,000 subscribers. This may never happen, but I want a challenge.
I would love to know the dropout rate for creators, how many subs they had, and how long they persevered with their channel. It's taken me two years to get to nearly 500 subs because I made a LOT of mistakes e.g random video themes, inconsistency and poor SEO. But I wouldn't change that because the knowledge I gained in that time has been invaluable.
Hey there, well, for a lot of these impatient YouTube wannabes, it has become the main goal for them, there are loads of groups on Facebook that really engage in this whole sub4sub and like4like scam just to speed through to monetization, some even get all bent out of shape when they arenΓÇÖt reaching the numbers they want (now I wish I screenshot them, they were entertaining), sadly a lot of them donΓÇÖt realize how little theyΓÇÖll make even after YouTube accepts them into the partnership program, resulting in more trolling around and complaining about it.

IΓÇÖm not in a hurry to get monetized, YouTube is just for fun and a place where I can share my passion for oil painting with everyone, and IΓÇÖm having loads of fun running my channel too :blush:

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hey there, well, for a lot of these impatient YouTube wannabes, it has become the main goal for them, there are loads of groups on Facebook that really engage in this whole sub4sub and like4like scam just to speed through to monetization, some even get all bent out of shape when they arenΓÇÖt reaching the numbers they want (now I wish I screenshot them, they were entertaining), sadly a lot of them donΓÇÖt realize how little theyΓÇÖll make even after YouTube accepts them into the partnership program, resulting in more trolling around and complaining about it.

IΓÇÖm not in a hurry to get monetized, YouTube is just for fun and a place where I can share my passion for oil painting with everyone, and IΓÇÖm having loads of fun running my channel too :blush:
o_O really, wow i would love to see some of the responses, I bet they're howlers :joy::sob:. Sadly they won't get very far if they're s4sing, i'm surprised these groups haven't been shut down as it's against t&cs, but I guess it belongs to Facebook so they can't. I need to find one of these groups and have a laugh next time I'm feeling a little unmotivated.
I belong to a vloggers group and once in a while, we have a 'spread the love' day in which we watch all of the video above and leave a positive/helpful comment then we can post our own video so the next person does the same - like a chain. There is no pressure to sub and it's completely voluntary, I often find myself watching more than one.

Reactions: Dr Pixel Plays

Eiman Manja

When I first started my channel, I had those dollar signs boinging from my eyes, but upon starting my channel, the hard reality of how much work IΓÇÖd be in for hit me with a 3 stage quad shot combo to the jaw, meaning, I was looking at a loooooooong road to reaching this milestone, but how long of a journey it would become will depend on how much effort I put into my channel and how much patience I exercise, but no matter what is thrown in my way, I already have some small goals set at different points of my journey.

The question is (and itΓÇÖs been asked around this forum many times), what is your REAL intention for being on YouTube?

Well, if youΓÇÖre so focused on getting monetized as quickly as you can, I got some terrible news: even if you reach the 1k subscriber and 4K hours requirement, and you are accepted into the partnership program, ok thatΓÇÖs great you got there and you have every reason to celebrate, but that will be short lived once you realize how much youΓÇÖll actually make, which in the beginning probably wonΓÇÖt even buy you a childΓÇÖs cheeseburger! YouΓÇÖd make more wrapping peopleΓÇÖs fish n chips!

IΓÇÖve read that itΓÇÖs around $1/1000 views or something like that (feel free to correct this), so in order to make a full time like income from that, letΓÇÖs say $4000, thatΓÇÖs quite comfortable, youΓÇÖll need something like 4M views with a certain amount of watch time in there too (canΓÇÖt remember how much of that), and thatΓÇÖs not a fixed monthly thing too, you would have to keep making 4M views every month (again, feel free to correct any of this).

So the next time you annoy everyone to subscribe and watch your content to get you to monetization, step back and ask yourself: is this all youΓÇÖre on YouTube for?

Food for thought: these kinds of creators usually have a channel full of garbage content in the hopes that no one will notice, but most viewers arenΓÇÖt stupid, theyΓÇÖll see right through it all, and then move on to another channel with worthwhile content, and probably even subscribe to that channel instead of the money hungry ones.

1) donΓÇÖt just focus on numbers, especially in the beginning, put that energy into building a professional looking channel and of course great engaging and entertaining content, and be patient, the numbers will work for you in the background without you having to lift a finger, but just focus on your content, and keep uploading, the sweet spot is in the 50-100 video range.

2) YouTube is not here to replace your job, no matter how much you dream of such a thing. YouTube should be about having fun, and it will definitely show in your content, but it should never replace your day job. A lot of youtubers I follow all have their regular day jobs, and even after monetization, this is still a side project for them, so donΓÇÖt give up your job for this. Ok it is possible to be a full time YouTuber, but it doesnΓÇÖt come easy.

3) There are other sources of income from your videos too, through adverts and affiliates, paetron etc, not just YouTube itself, but again, this should not be a replacement for your day job, unless youΓÇÖve reached the point of generating the monthly views to support a comfortable monthly full time like income, again, it wonΓÇÖt come easy.

4) Harassing everyone wonΓÇÖt get you the subscribers and views, especially if your channel only has a handful of mediocre content, which means you wonΓÇÖt reach your monetization goal in the quick time that you hoped for.

5) Research the niche you want to enter, find the gaps that need filling, and try to fill them, educate yourself on what it is the niche wants and needs, and socialize with other creators within that niche, donΓÇÖt just be a loner.

6) DonΓÇÖt self promote your content and do nothing for others, that comes across as selfish, desperate, and definitely wonΓÇÖt get you to your monetization goal anytime soon. Join some groups on the different platforms, socialize with everyone, compliment other creators work, create fun comments games (I do this on Facebook occasionally), get yourself known within that group, build up a little community of your own if you want, just donΓÇÖt drop in, leave a name card and then hightail it out of there, itΓÇÖs rude and definitely squashes your monetization chances.

I have no plans to hurry my channel to monetization, and anyone that subscribes or not is their choice, and anyone that watches my content, is their choice, I only promote my stuff where I feel it would be needed, but nothing more, in fact IΓÇÖm promoting less and less now. My purpose on YouTube is to just have fun uploading and give my viewers something useful to take with them, and to share my passion for oil painting.

I think IΓÇÖve said enough here, please feel free to correct anything that isnΓÇÖt right, or just join in on the discussion and exchange other ideas and thoughts.

Thanks man for the share. Now I know is not that easy what we want for. I keep this for my future reference and guideline. Very appreciate with your tips

OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thanks man for the share. Now I know is not that easy what we want for. I keep this for my future reference and guideline. Very appreciate with your tips
Anytime man, IΓÇÖm just doing my part to wake up those that think theyΓÇÖll be living like presidents immediately after monetization, and to make them aware that YouTube isnΓÇÖt another get rich quick scheme.

vinc8nt

TubeBuddy User

I have no idea how it is like to monetize a channel until you shared it, but your thoughts are exactly my views when my vlogger friend tried to encourage me to jump niche. I said I love painting, and I am doing it because this is what I love to do. And I am happy of my unrecorded paintings hanging on the wall. Well I wish, our works will be appreciated through likes and shares and subs! - do am violating something here? I dont mean to. :)

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I wholeheartedly agree with this, though there is one other thing i believe should be considered.

The big dream is to do what you enjoy, make YT videos and 'get rich' off that. That is the big flaw in the rush to get monetized. Now, there are ways to make money... REALLY good money if done correctly.

But correctly is rarely the direction people go.

You see there are vast differences in the amount of money paid per 1,000 views depending on your audience. Think of these two demographics as an example:

If you want to do Fortnite videos your average audience is going to be in the 18-24 demographic. They have very little income, and the people interested in advertising to them are not selling very expensive products.

If you do daily stock market analysis videos your average audience will be in those key demographics surrounding the 40 year olds. These guys earn more, have a disposable income and make purchases like cars, houses etc. And they will pay big money for you to simply help them double their stock investment income.

Throw in the amount of competition for each and you get ad rates for Fortnite videos that are far closer to $1 per 1,000 views and ad rates for stock analysis that can hit upwards of $75 per 1,000.

But everybody wants to do Fortnite. If you want to make videos that make money study stocks, yachts, business management. Things like that. If you want to make videos that you enjoy go for it. But understand the difference and don't be upset when your passion doesnt pay Bentley money.

Niki Proshin

Known Member
A lot of good points from people in this thread.

Just chasing numbers isn't the way to success, I think. But you definitely can have a faster growth by chasing (and getting better at) the skills you lack. Creating better content. Improving thumbnails and titles. Becoming a more interesting person, after all. In different words, just work hard and be persistent at what you like. And then the numbers come.

Reactions: Damo’s Paintings

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for those tips! It may be a long journey to 4K WH and 1K Subs, it will be worth it!

Gemini

TubeBuddy User
cornernina.com
Subscriber Goal
Thank you for posting this. I think it is very important to make people aware of these facts. I have seen an abundance of YouTubers just starting out that are doing it because they think it's easy money and not because they are doing what they love. Monetization is absolutely amazing if and when it happens but it shouldn't be your goal when starting your channel. People don't earn a lot unless they have a crazy amount of views and people often quit because of it.

Toyteller

Subscriber Goal
Great information

IΓÇÖm in this as a hobby alongside my accountancy work. I like to keep busy and at the moment working from home. This YT is giving me an interest. Yes weΓÇÖd all like that money rolling in but letΓÇÖs face it thatΓÇÖs not going to happen for a lot of us. Most channels making thousands have been on You Tube for many years.

I donΓÇÖt need the money but IΓÇÖd like to think one day I could leave my job, wishful thinking but everyone loves to dream. IΓÇÖm a statistic person and love numbers so love to look at the analytics on the graphs. ItΓÇÖs like a drug to get them higher..

Cari