• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion CAREFUL when doing your closed captioning.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been heavily captioning my videos latley (both for SEO points, but also to help my deaf viewers, or those who hate my voice, but want to learn)

The thing I've noticed though, is you have to keep a CAREFUL eye on that "saving" note in the top corner. If it works, it will save "All changes saved in Drafts" BUT if it says "saving" continuously (it should only take a few seconds to save after each modified input) then it's actually NOT saving your work.

I've had two sessions where I was deep in my working, and I WASN'T paying attention to the "Saving" to make sure it actually SAVED the drafs... and I ended up losing an hour of work, because it wasn't saving anything I was typing in for about an hour
This generally happens if you're the kind of person who leaves your computer and browser open for hours on end. I'll have a sleep, and I'll continue to work when I wake up, but in that time it seems that somehow the computer disconnects from the server, and you don't realise it until you realise it's not actually saving your work to the server.

A simple refresh of your browser window, or a restart of your computer generally fixes it, but be mindful, if you change a sentence in your closed captions, make sure it says "all changes saved in Drafts" BEFORE you continue, to make sure it's working.

I wasn't paying attention last night, so I was deleting some part to move my caption timing, and this morning I noticed it wasn't saving... and when I refreshed, it seems that is saved the deleting, but not the new inputs, so I lost some text as well.

Just keep this in mind. Sometimes AutoSave doesn't work the way you expect and you have to keep an eye on it to make sure it's working correctly.

Reactions: Abhigyan DMS

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Captions itself is time taking and then when you lost it , It must have been really frustrating .

It never happened to me but I will keep in mind.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Thanks for this info. I havent started using Caption yet. Guess I am still confused about it cos the sentences I normally get is totally off what I am saying cos of my accent so it will take me ages to edit.

Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
That is why when I caption I download the auto generated caption. Then edit it on my PC and reupload it. Safer and less loss.
I would normally do that, but sometimes the auto generated captions are so bad, that I can't remember what I originally said. If I scripted my videos it would be easier, but I don't tend to script my longer videos.

Thanks for this info. I havent started using Caption yet. Guess I am still confused about it cos the sentences I normally get is totally off what I am saying cos of my accent so it will take me ages to edit.
Yep, it's inaccurate at the best of times, but with accents it's even worse. Sometimes it will even add swear words in, when I typically don't swear in my videos. take it from someone who has over 170 videos... start doing it now.. You'll save time in the long run if you start earlier rather than later.

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
I would normally do that, but sometimes the auto generated captions are so bad, that I can't remember what I originally said. If I scripted my videos it would be easier, but I don't tend to script my longer videos.

Yep, it's inaccurate at the best of times, but with accents it's even worse. Sometimes it will even add swear words in, when I typically don't swear in my videos. take it from someone who has over 170 videos... start doing it now.. You'll save time in the long run if you start earlier rather than later.
Is it free. Is there an app people use?