• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Playing Music In The Background

JessBookgirl75@gmail

Extremely Well-Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I might do a video on how I met the guitarist from my favorite 80's heavy metal band. My question is: could I play their music low in the background without having to get the copyright rights? I don't want to cause problems
Jessica

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
If it's their music and it's copyrighted, you'll have to ask for permission beforehand.

Usually, using copyrighted music will automatically get hit by YT.

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
@Ikerot is right. I was hit the other day for just a few seconds music on the radio before I started my talk. I had to erase it. Though from experience is not s strike, it will be that your video can not be monetized as the company will be taking your money as their right. Imagine if that video goes viral, you will be wishing you just played a non-copy right much that sounds like theirs.

Last edited:

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yup, sorry. The ONLY way around this is to actually license the song for video production purposes. Expect that to run about $100

Gunjit

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
You can do some research on weather the music is copyrighted or not, If it's not then use it

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
In the YouTube Studio, thereΓÇÖs an audio library where you can use the music in your videos, most are free to use, you donΓÇÖt need to declare or do whatever, but some stuff just requires you to copy and paste the music info into the description, the downside is your preferred songs may not be in there.

ThatΓÇÖs where I got my background music from, and itΓÇÖs been useful for me.

Reactions: Dr Pixel Plays

Fudd1985

Subscriber Goal
I done this on a couple of videos and they was copy right I then changed it to the free music you can get funny enough I've been thinking the same as this question

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
This.

If it's their music and it's copyrighted, you'll have to ask for permission beforehand.

Usually, using copyrighted music will automatically get hit by YT.

Also, don't bother going with the quiet trick. I tried playing a Godzilla score very quietly UNDER me talking, and the content ID picked it up before I even had a chance to publish, which is a good thing I guess, but added a few extra minutes for me to have to track down a non copyrighted track.

If you met someone and want to use their music, you gotta ask them for permission, and generally not just them, but also their label, and then you probably won't get permission without licencing fees. Your best bet is to go with copyright free alternatives that sound mildly similar in tone.

Otherwise, just do it and cop the copyright claim/strike.

Reactions: Ikerot

WV Pet Project

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Yup, sorry. The ONLY way around this is to actually license the song for video production purposes. Expect that to run about $100
This question might be too long to answer here- but how do you go about doing that? Someone keeps asking me to use a particular copyrighted song for a video, and I keep explaining to them that I cannot do that...

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
This question might be too long to answer here- but how do you go about doing that? Someone keeps asking me to use a particular copyrighted song for a video, and I keep explaining to them that I cannot do that...
Im afraid i cant give you a specific answer, each label holds rights to a variety of songs and they each are equally as difficult as they are different to deal with. Normally you would track down who holds the rights to the song and hit up their people about getting the multiple licenses needed for it to be in your video. Then you would put it in your video, get a copyright claim/strike and fight it with the lice.nse provided

I will say there is light at the end of this tunnel. Lickd is a new website that is spearheading the effort of nominalizing the process for obtaining licenses for copyrighted music and they are making good headway. It is worth looking into Lickd to see if they have the coverage for the track you are wanting to use.

View: https://youtu.be/91CN9fvc52M

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
The only real "clean" way to do this is to buy a license from ASCAP or BMI, or both. And that is not a cheap option.

Here are the FAQs on an ASCAP license.

Reactions: WV Pet Project

WV Pet Project

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Im afraid i cant give you a specific answer, each label holds rights to a variety of songs and they each are equally as difficult as they are different to deal with. Normally you would track down who holds the rights to the song and hit up their people about getting the multiple licenses needed for it to be in your video. Then you would put it in your video, get a copyright claim/strike and fight it with the lice.nse provided

I will say there is light at the end of this tunnel. Lickd is a new website that is spearheading the effort of nominalizing the process for obtaining licenses for copyrighted music and they are making good headway. It is worth looking into Lickd to see if they have the coverage for the track you are wanting to use.

View: https://youtu.be/91CN9fvc52M
Thank you for your answer- I will definitely look into this! I am quite fine with youtube's audio library, but she is obsessed with this song and wanting it on a video...maybe she will foot the bill for it. hahah.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB