• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice how do i get people to watch longer?

Don Alabee

TubeBuddy User
www.ghananiephotography.com
Subscriber Goal
i'm wondering if anyone here can help me figure out how to get my subscribers to watch my videos for longer. i don't create long videos, with the aim of not getting the videos boring. but even with that, my people don''t watch my full videos. any help?

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
I washed your video. Though you didn't tell us your retaintion ratio for us to have a better understanding of how long they actually stay. Your video is educational. people that watch the video know what they want to learn and for someone like me, I tend to skip most part of educational video till i get to what I wanted to learn. One thing about educational video like yours is that they grow slowly but will always be needed. I actually dont know how you can make your niche interactive as that is one thing I didnt feel, it was more like you talking and I am listening. Maybe ask questions more or use the comment section more. Guess someone else will add more.

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I hope this post helps

OP
OP
Don Alabee

Don Alabee

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I washed your video. Though you didn't tell us your retaintion ratio for us to have a better understanding of how long they actually stay. Your video is educational. people that watch the video know what they want to learn and for someone like me, I tend to skip most part of educational video till i get to what I wanted to learn. One thing about educational video like yours is that they grow slowly but will always be needed. I actually dont know how you can make your niche interactive as that is one thing I didnt feel, it was more like you talking and I am listening. Maybe ask questions more or use the comment section more. Guess someone else will add more.

Yes Blessing, interaction has been one of my biggest problems. What i noticed is that most people download my videos onto their laptops to watch over and over. Meanwhile that doesnΓÇÖt help with the algorithm.

also i try to cut out scenes that arenΓÇÖt needed, cos as you said, i myself tend to skip educational videos till i get to what exactly i want to learn.

my retention is less than 50%

I'm the same Don, I have only been uploading short videos of 3 - 8 minutes, but getting less than 50% watched time for most of them. It's a tough one which experience will only tell I suppose. I have tonnes of footage for videos I could make for 20 - 30 minutes, but who will watch it if they don't watch 8 minutes? :(

I have decided to stay away from recording longer videos because of this. I keep my videos within less than 10 minutes. But still

Midas

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
themidasmvmt.com
Subscriber Goal
Retention time is one of the hardest things to keep because the attention span of people is completely non-existent. Most of the best ways to try to bring this up have been mentioned. Just make content that people need and they'll watch more.

Gunjit

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
You need to cut out the boring parts, And actively look at the analytics

OP
OP
Don Alabee

Don Alabee

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Retention time is one of the hardest things to keep because the attention span of people is completely non-existent. Most of the best ways to try to bring this up have been mentioned. Just make content that people need and they'll watch more.

thanks very much for your input

You need to cut out the boring parts, And actively look at the analytics

i try as much as possible to eliminate boring parts.

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
Don't worry about watching longer, think about watching specific areas using chapters. When you split via chapter, you will have people start to watch your videos more.

In the description, you put in

00:00 Intro
2:30 First part to your video description
5:00 Second part to your video

(no need to put a end on it, but it doesn't hurt)

Fudd1985

Subscriber Goal
Iam the same it's very hard for them to watch all the way through I even shortened my videos from 15 minutes to 10 minutes good luck hopefully it will change for you