• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Copyrights of old songs?

typhoonz

Hello guys. I was wondering how come some people with small channels use very known songs like 'el corazon' with thousands of views and others of course. And what about 60s songs and old songs. Can you i use them on my channel without getting into trouble? how can i find out which song is allowed to use? Is there a website? thank you

Dr Pixel Plays

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
60s is difficult. You can get old music like Beethoven, Wagner, Chopin, or Mozart from the YouTube Audio Libary, but only a few songs of them. Even if the original piece has no copyright the recording of the piece can have copyright. Also, copyright laws differ by country, so I'm not sure if you can use US public domain rights without problems. But in general, it should at least be 70+ years old. This means you can forget anything past 1950, if you are looking for music.

I think youtube has a website to check if the music has copyright. Just google it.

VenGame

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Youtube has a feature for you to see which song is copyright claimed. also i think they might tell you the country as well

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
The more you investigate, the more you realise just how complicated copyright laws are. https://www.royaltyexchange.com/length-of-ownership-music this website has differant time frames to this one https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/music-law-101-how-long-does-copyright-57301/ in terms of how old a song must be before it becomes "public domain"

Some countries are differant, and where the song was created probably has some impact on it.

Also, the song it'self may be public domain, but new performances of it, might not be. I've seen some people use more modern performances of classical songs, and those videos getting claimed, while other videos that use original performances from the 50's and older, have no copyright claims. So you need to err on the side of caution.

Reactions: Dr Pixel Plays