• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips I DON'T WANT SUBSCRIBERS

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Haha !! So, Hi Everyone !!

Yes ! you read it right.. I don't want "SUBSCRIBERS".. I need FANS or TRUE appreciators because at the end they are the one who only will help me grow ..

The reason I started to write this post is I am seeing too many people all around the place who are focusing only and only and only SUBSCRIBERS...

I am not saying I don't want Subscribers... but I want those people to Subscribe who really want to see my content ... who will help me with my growth ...

I often observe the channels that asked me Sub 4 Sub ... to see how far they have grown with just "subscribers".

Now they have around 3k Subscribers, hardly 50 views per day for the whole channel, minimum Interaction .......... will this keep them motivated ??

Imagine, your videos going to many people but no one is really Interested to even look at them ... Imagine the CTR..what will YouTube think ?

What is better ? Your video going to 100 people and 70 clicking them or your video going to 100 people and 10 people clicking ... which Channel would YouTube choose to promote ?

Either you ask for Subscribers directly or ask a favor or try to be good with them for subscribers .... the method won't change the way things work..

I personally have my close friends who subscribed immediately after they knew about my YouTube Channel but they hardly watch my content because that's not they are really Interested in.

This is my experience.. you may please add your comments and views.. I will update this post with Threads ( or informative replies) from TubeBuddy ( which are related to this topic) so that all such content will be at one place.

Hope this brings at-least .00001% change ....Thank you for reading so much ..( you must be tired now reading so much .. go grab a drink and refresh yourself .. :) )

ReachRishi

Subscriber Goal
I Totally agree and endorse this .. I had so many subs adding up because of relatives, friends etc and its completely a waste of time. They dont watch my videos / comment / engage etc.. This results in the channel seemingly having many subs but too few views when a video is posted. Getting more engaged subs is far better and in most of my videos now, I hardly ask anyone to subscribe. Surprisingly, I have started to get more subscriptions on a per day basis and they seem to be more engaged.. Am a small channel, so dont know if this is something that works.. I also have hidden my subs base so that people form their own perception of how many subs I have.. :)

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

Yes ! you read it right.. I don't want "SUBSCRIBERS".. I need FANS or TRUE appreciators because at the end they are the one who only will help me grow ..

The reason I started to write this post is I am seeing too many people all around the place who are focusing only and only and only SUBSCRIBERS...

I am not saying I don't want Subscribers... but I want those people to Subscribe who really want to see my content ... who will help me with my growth ...

I often observe the channels that asked me Sub 4 Sub ... to see how far they have grown with just "subscribers".

Now they have around 3k Subscribers, hardly 50 views per day for the whole channel, minimum Interaction .......... will this keep them motivated ??

Imagine, your videos going to many people but no one is really Interested to even look at them ... Imagine the CTR..what will YouTube think ?

What is better ? Your video going to 100 people and 70 clicking them or your video going to 100 people and 10 people clicking ... which Channel would YouTube choose to promote ?

Either you ask for Subscribers directly or ask a favor or try to be good with them for subscribers .... the method won't change the way things work..

I personally have my close friends who subscribed immediately after they knew about my YouTube Channel but they hardly watch my content because that's not they are really Interested in.

This is my experience.. you may please add your comments and views.. I will update this post with Threads ( or informative replies) from TubeBuddy ( which are related to this topic) so that all such content will be at one place.

Hope this brings at-least .00001% change ....Thank you for reading so much ..( you must be tired now reading so much .. go grab a drink and refresh yourself .. :) )
Subscribers are all that a lot of so called content creators focus on, some focus on subs so much they forget the more important elements in their channel like for example creating high quality content!

IΓÇÖve had many pestering me to go and subscribe to their channel, not check out the content but just hit the subscribe button, but I check out their content anyways and all I can say is that their videos suck!

One thing IΓÇÖm always focusing on is what the viewers will get from my videos, what they can potentially take away from watching something of mine, I then shoot the video of whatever topic IΓÇÖm covering, and during the editing IΓÇÖm on the lookout for anything that doesnΓÇÖt need to be there, and if I donΓÇÖt like the overall video itself, I simply wonΓÇÖt upload it. I would rather delay an upload than to display a badly produced video and have my image wrecked.

I too am always pushing everyone wanting to subscribe to MAKE SURE my content is what they want repeatedly, to be a somewhat loyal fan instead of just another number in the subscriber count. Anyways have a great day all :) ;)

• Love
Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama

sadriercan

TubeBuddy Pro

Right point. But your subscriber type = your channel niche

If u have a niche channel you will get subscibers who are related to this niche.

If u have a global channel. You can get all kind of subsciber:)

• Love

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
When I first started my channel, most of the experts/influencers I watched said to get friends and relations to subscribe, but you are absolutely right, they don't/didn't watch my videos or interact with them, so, yes I had 20 subscribers, but I might as well have had none. I recently niched down my content and hid some videos that I didn't feel fit the direction I wanted to take the channel - since then subs, views, comments and AVD are all up. I agree that people shouldn't be trying to get subscribers - they should be trying to get fans.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Amazing information and effort this is so,so true, i did do a tiny bit of this but i realised that it was wrong ans there was no need too.
DonΓÇÖt worry IΓÇÖm guilty of engaging in a bit of this too, but luckily I was wise enough to pull out and get real with my channel before I started getting proper subscribers that followed me through my journey, IΓÇÖm sure many of other would have got sucked into it as well.

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
I do agree with all of you, This is what I call the quality of subscribers I want subscribers who genuinely love my channel make comments that show they watched the video and engage. I recently put subscription tabs on my video but it does not appear to have made a difference. (((but I feel have to do that and ask people to subscribe loool)
The only bugbear is that most subscribers don't put on their notification bell.
When people ask me to subscribe to them I check if they have left a comment apart from saying visit me and then I check out their channel if it is in my niche or something I am interested in I will most likely subscribe (sometimes if I just like the person). But if it has nothing to do with me or not my interest I will still watch something and just leave a comment.
And by the way, those fake subscribers usually remove their subscriptions because you did not subscribe to theirs so you know they were not really interested . In fact, the subscribers I like best are those with no channels.
I am only able to say this now over time when I realised things like watch time, retention, and fans return were more important than subscribers.
@DamoΓÇÖs Paintings and @Wildlife with LUKE, I get you I was sucked into this earlier on too I did try sub for a sub just being ignorant and not realising what it actually meant . Youtube got rid of them as spam anyway and I wondered what had happened. Luckily for me, I had only started, possibly in my third week of starting and with continuous research understood things better.

When I first started my channel, most of the experts/influencers I watched said to get friends and relations to subscribe, but you are absolutely right, they don't/didn't watch my videos or interact with them, so, yes I had 20 subscribers, but I might as well have had none. I recently niched down my content and hid some videos that I didn't feel fit the direction I wanted to take the channel - since then subs, views, comments and AVD are all up. I agree that people shouldn't be trying to get subscribers - they should be trying to get fans.
Could it also be psychological, when at first we are only seeing low numbers and just wanting them to grow when you start your channel? Another question is I wonder how we perceive viewers that see only low numbers so asking friends and family just boost up those figures might give us more credibility?

Amazing how that works isn't it?
I have always thought as you get a bigger channel and loads of"quality subscribers" Its no longer necessary anyway because by default the machine is driving itself that's why I always admire the hard work, perseverance you and a lot of You tubers have put in to make this happen . I also think that having a hobby or niche that people are passionate about does help.

Kari B

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I do agree with all of you, This is what I call the quality of subscribers I want subscribers who genuinely love my channel make comments that show they watched the video and engage. I recently put subscription tabs on my video but it does not appear to have made a difference. (((but I feel have to do that and ask people to subscribe loool)
The only bugbear is that most subscribers don't put on their notification bell.
When people ask me to subscribe to them I check if they have left a comment apart from saying visit me and then I check out their channel if it is in my niche or something I am interested in I will most likely subscribe (sometimes if I just like the person). But if it has nothing to do with me or not my interest I will still watch something and just leave a comment.
And by the way, those fake subscribers usually remove their subscriptions because you did not subscribe to theirs so you know they were not really interested . In fact, the subscribers I like best are those with no channels.
I am only able to say this now over time when I realised things like watch time, retention, and fans return were more important than subscribers.
@DamoΓÇÖs Paintings and @Wildlife with LUKE, I get you I was sucked into this earlier on too I did try sub for a sub just being ignorant and not realising what it actually meant . Youtube got rid of them as spam anyway and I wondered what had happened. Luckily for me, I had only started, possibly in my third week of starting and with continuous research understood things better.

Could it also be psychological, when at first we are only seeing low numbers and just wanting them to grow when you start your channel? Another question is I wonder how we perceive viewers that see only low numbers so asking friends and family just boost up those figures might give us more credibility?

I have always thought as you get a bigger channel and loads of"quality subscribers" Its no longer necessary anyway because by default the machine is driving itself that's why I always admire the hard work, perseverance you and a lot of You tubers have put in to make this happen . I also think that having a hobby or niche that people are passionate about does help.
Possibly, if I see a video with 50 subs but only 4 or 5 views after a couple of months I would wonder why. As long as family and friends are watching I don't think it's a problem, it's when they sub but don't watch I wonder why.

As a viewer, if I'm offered two videos from my search I'm guilty of usually watching the one with most views (unless one video is years older). I think this is because I watch a lot on my phone and it doesn't show the like/dislike % as it does on a laptop.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I feel you on this one, but I do tend to think of my subscribers as fans anyway. A subscriber cares about your content enough to watch more than once in passing, but me as an artist, I have to say it's especially rewarding when I have fans sending me photos of the drawings they've done via my videos, and I think I'm in a particularly privilaged special niche where I have that really deep level of connection with fans beyond them just enjoying my video. They draw along WITH me.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want 30k subscribers, 100k subscribers, but deep down, the idea of super high subscriber counts intimidates me. The more subscribers you have, means the more "influence" you have, and I'm the type of person that sees "influence" as responsibility. The more responsibility you have to not do the wrong thing, not say the wrong thing, can be stressful, the more responsibility and "influence" you get... so I much prefer the fanship than the subscriber count. People rather than numbers :)

• Love

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Wow
I Totally agree and endorse this .. I had so many subs adding up because of relatives, friends etc and its completely a waste of time. They dont watch my videos / comment / engage etc.. This results in the channel seemingly having many subs but too few views when a video is posted. Getting more engaged subs is far better and in most of my videos now, I hardly ask anyone to subscribe. Surprisingly, I have started to get more subscriptions on a per day basis and they seem to be more engaged.. Am a small channel, so dont know if this is something that works.. I also have hidden my subs base so that people form their own perception of how many subs I have.. :)
I use to hid my subcription button until I came to this community. Someone posted about it and the comment that was made by Moderators and trust members made be show it. The point is, your real fan want to join you in the journey. They actually watch you as your grow and are happy for you. Brands make information about who to work with from the subcription count, imagine if you are them the person you want to work with hids it. There is nothing wrong with having 20 subcribers as you will grow. In my niche, most African YouTubers hid it, but once you know that it's not a competition why do same.

On sub to sub, everyone said my mind. I don't want anyone subing me who is not as passionate as I am about what I talk about. They don't share or comment on your page or even watch. What do we need them for then?

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Wow

I use to hid my subcription button until I came to this community. Someone posted about it and the comment that was made by Moderators and trust members made be show it. The point is, your real fan want to join you in the journey. They actually watch you as your grow and are happy for you. Brands make information about who to work with from the subcription count, imagine if you are them the person you want to work with hids it. There is nothing wrong with having 20 subcribers as you will grow. In my niche, most African YouTubers hid it, but once you know that it's not a competition why do same.

On sub to sub, everyone said my mind. I don't want anyone subing me who is not as passionate as I am about what I talk about. They don't share or comment on your page or even watch. What do we need them for then?
Hear Hear, Exactly, all they do is reduce your audience retention rate lool. One African you tuber told me she hides it because people may become envious of her !!! so I suppose people have their reasons

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
Hear Hear, Exactly, all they do is reduce your audience retention rate lool. One African you tuber told me she hides it because people may become envious of her !!! so I suppose people have their reasons
Envious of what? Fox news, Mirror, CNN, Sky and other cable news network carry the same news yet they are all big and making money. Until we start building each other up instead of trying to create a gaint on a platform that can take you down anytime they want we have a lot to learn. I tell people it depends on what you created your platform for, if it is to educate and uplift others, that reason doesnt hold water I will say. Thats why I dont bother with their drama .

Dansunotori

It's a very relevant topic indeed. We didn't do sub4sub but we had an influx of mummies who reacted to my partner's post on Facebook, watched 1-2 most recent videos, subscribed at the ratio of 1:1 to the view count, sang praises in the FB group how great the content is but then it all dropped back to as it was before. So we had an almost overnight growth to from 80 to 450 subs, genuine people, genuine target audience (it seemed), that is barely watching any new similar content.

The only reasonable explanation I have is that they subbed but didn't click the bell, and YouTube is not recommending the vids.

But going back to the matter of the topic, yes, we want fans more than subscribers. We'd rather grow slowly but steadily.

Gunjit

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I totally agree on this, You need true fans not subscribers