• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Too unfunny? Too cringe? Should I ΓÇÿsell outΓÇÖ and cut the video as the ΓÇÿsillyΓÇÖ is embarrassing? WARNING video has no bad language but the 'humo

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
User name: MaJ
Title of thread: Too unfunny? Too cringe? Should I ΓÇÿsell outΓÇÖ and cut the video as the ΓÇÿsillyΓÇÖ is embarrassing? WARNING video has no bad language but the 'humour' (though childish) may imply naughty themes
Self review: The channel itself is original Music, Comedy and what I call Wonder. I didn’t think I would ever ask for feedback, but am at a quandary and would love outside advice. My whole ethos was to do videos about stuff that interests me, but do them with a bit of a comedy edge. I am very new to all of this. I finally felt I had made big strides in terms of the editing with this video. In terms of the pace. In previous videos, the pace dropped with longer cuts and fewer camera movements. All camera movements are ‘fake’ in that they are after effects – I am doing this all on my own – so the camera is locked off. So I think that part of the video is massive improvement on my previous videos. But the ‘comedy’ – argh. I can’t judge it and then upload what may be funny. I guess I only hear from those that don’t like the comedy. But on reflection think maybe I should cut it all out. But that kills me, as what made the channel ‘unique’ (in my mind) was it was me being silly. As I feel I am doing serious subjects, and am researching them hard and well… but doing them unlike anyone else – with a silly edge. I do notice also that people have missed the point, like telling me I wouldn’t get ‘sponsorship’ because of the low number of subscribers (etc) – where as I felt that it was obvious, me asking for sponsorship was “clearly a joke”. I mean I clearly put my subscriber number into the video – and emails to the sponsorship team… so part of me feels that – some of the jokes that people miss and then critize me for… maybe those people are NOT my target audience and missing the point. But that doesn’t mean I should ignore their messages about the other ‘silly’ comedy – that is a little – shall we say childish. Argh. In a nut shell… should I cut the comedy – as it doesn’t work. Though that long term might put the dampner on me doing YouTube. Also any other thoughts – about cutting/filming/sound – any feedback at all would be most welcome.
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://youtu.be/n1Cz4S5jNU8

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/27684/post-90671

Milkro

I did watch the entire video. (You managed to keep me until the end.) But I did notice some things in the video that could deter anybody from watching your videos that is less humor-able than me.
I am offering some suggestions. For first, I recommend you refine your thumbnails and try and focus on how the viewer would see it. (Some might see it as low quality) For second, I recommend you refine your humor. (Most of it was funny, but some parts may be seen as inappropriate / unfunny). I finally suggest you keep your humor regime as you seem to be the perfect candidate for this type of content.
You are unique, mostly funny, and you have a great speaking voice, and demeanor.

I hope I could offer some honest, useful feedback. I look forward to seeing more of your content.

Floris Food

Good food,great life.
Subscriber Goal
I really like the video, and ur style of humor. Only thing i have to say, is Put on another blouse, as the pattern Flashes (idk how to say) in the camera.

keep on going!!

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
I did watch the entire video. (You managed to keep me until the end.) But I did notice some things in the video that could deter anybody from watching your videos that is less humor-able than me.
I am offering some suggestions. For first, I recommend you refine your thumbnails and try and focus on how the viewer would see it. (Some might see it as low quality) For second, I recommend you refine your humor. (Most of it was funny, but some parts may be seen as inappropriate / unfunny). I finally suggest you keep your humor regime as you seem to be the perfect candidate for this type of content.
You are unique, mostly funny, and you have a great speaking voice, and demeanor.

I hope I could offer some honest, useful feedback. I look forward to seeing more of your content.

Thanks for that

The thumbnail - I am loathed to touch/change. As I don't know what is the normal "Impressions click-through rate" for others... but all mine are 1% - 3%. This video is by far the highest, by far, with 8%. So I can't change the thumbnail that is the best performing one I have ever had

That is not to say your reason/suggestion is wrong

In regards to the humour

Yeah, that's what I was asking

Your saying I should keep it, but drop it

If I knew which parts were unfunny - I would drop them and keep the rest

My feeling is all of the jokes might be seen as 'inappropriate' to some. Though the Grandma stuff I think stands out as the worst in this regard

Thanks again

I'm still wrestling with what to do

x

I really like the video, and ur style of humor. Only thing i have to say, is Put on another blouse, as the pattern Flashes (idk how to say) in the camera.

keep on going!!

Thanks

You are one of the (beautiful few) who say they like the humour. Thanks

And the 'blouse' - I only saw that after I had filmed it all... argh

I think the term is 'strobing'

I had no clue

Every video I make a mess up like that, my face out of focus for one, etc... but I learn for the next one... but then mess up something different in the next one.

So yes I agree... I was most annoyed on play back when I noticed the shirt was strobing on camera...

Thanks xx

MelaninHealer

I found it funny but to an extent. I really liked the editing and those extra personal touches in the video.
Some jokes felt slightly uncomfortable and just need a little refinement
But all in all it was a more than decent video

Dr Pixel Plays

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I would recommend starting the video with a joke or simply a funny intro to get the viewer hooked. You used a freeze frame that was low res and had no audio. The first 15 seconds of your video are really important. I would simply have that left out. Your intro that followed that was okay. You could have made it more dramatic, playing into the idea that all your YouTube heroes are lying. You did that with text, which is a bit anti-climatic. Maybe you could try some over-the-top drama for an intro? If you make it obvious enough, it sure shows people that you're doing comedy and it gets them hooked.

What I noticed throughout your video is that you used a lot of text. There are a couple of things to consider when using text. Generally, it's preferably to use as little as possible. If you use text while someone is talking, make sure to keep it short and give the viewer time to read. At 0:20 there was no way you could have read all the text. As a general rule of thumb, the text should be displayed at least twice as long as it takes you to read it, better thrice as long.
You also don't want the text to be too close to the edge of the screen. Always leave some margin. You should also consider outlining your text to improve readability in certain situations. And sometimes you used a very bold font, which makes it harder to make out the individual characters.

Try reducing the amount of text you use, or do a voice-over and put your bullet points on the screen as you'd do in a presentation.

Your humour wasn't bad. There were a few good parts here and there. The worst part for me was when you did an impression of your grandma. That was very cringy. It doesn't fit your style that well. Without the acting and weird pronunciation that would have fit much better, in my opinion.

Sometimes it just felt as you were trying too hard. I know myself that's not easy to find your style when you are starting with funny content. But over time you'll figure out what you enjoy doing and what others also like. Keep experimenting and stick to what you like. You can always ask people here and friends and people in the comments for feedback.
In my opinion, I feel you could simply cut down the more silly parts and just keep talking with your British accent and sprinkle it with good jokes here and there. People like listening to people with British accents, I guess.

And for the editing, I would use different background images for your green screen. Maybe even videos, that keeps the image lively. I use pixabay to get my stock footage since it's basically 100% Creative Commons 0, but there are many other sites out there. Maybe you could have used a video of bees producing honey in the background.

It just gets a bit boring if nothing is happening for a while. You could also put yourself in front of websites and point to what's important. Maybe sprinkle everything with some animations and effects.

And whenever you use static images, you can add a dynamic zoom, so the image slowly zooms in or out. This makes your video look like a video and not a slideshow.

Maybe you also want to add some background music when you're talking, but it's not necessary. The YouTube Audio Libary is your friend for this.

Your Editing was great, I'm sure you can find a way to keep your videos interesting. Your green screen and camera look amazing. You really can make some quality content. Sadly your Thumbnail doesn't reflect that well. I'd simply put yourself with an expression as you did on the thumbnail, add one fitting background image, and then add text if necessary. You use so many different colours and fonts on your thumbnail, that's a nightmare for graphic designers.

If you give me a picture of you, I would make you a thumbnail if you want. It's not difficult, and I do mine with GIMP.

Well, this got long fast... But thanks for the video. I've heard honey was bad but I never knew why, now I do! Hope my feedback could help.

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Thanks

That's an amazing response

Incredibly helpful

I will definitely use it as a blueprint on my next video

ΓÇ£You used a freeze frame that was low res and had no audio. The first 15 seconds of your video are really importantΓÇ¥

Yeah. I feel like the beginning of a video gets missed. I mean, itΓÇÖs not like we have opening credits. But you are correct.

I think maybe the clips of YouTube stars could have opened the video.

ΓÇ£I would simply have that left out.ΓÇ¥

Ok ΓÇô so I agree with you.

ΓÇ£You could have made it more dramatic, playing into the idea that all your YouTube heroes are lying.ΓÇ¥ ΓÇ£Maybe you could try some over-the-top drama for an intro?ΓÇ¥

OMG that would have been so much better. Yes, I can even see the passion and then, cutaways to rockslides and disasters. So much better than my ΓÇÿgranny schtickΓÇÖ

ΓÇ£What I noticed throughout your video is that you used a lot of text. There are a couple of things to consider when using text. Generally, it's preferably to use as little as possible. If you use text while someone is talking, make sure to keep it short and give the viewer time to read. At 0:20 there was no way you could have read all the text. As a general rule of thumb, they should display the text at least twice as long as it takes you to read it, better thrice as long.ΓÇ¥

That’s my new rule. I put the text in late, and I can’t make bits longer just for the text. But I will have to learn to cut out the text… if I can’t get it to sit on screen long enough.

ΓÇ£You also don't want the text to be too close to the edge of the screen. Always leave some margin. You should also consider outlining your text to improve readability in certain situations. And sometimes you used a very bold font, which makes it harder to make out the individual characters.ΓÇ¥

I know I have done these worse in other videos ΓÇô too. I think I have learned how to do boxes now. As I only started making videos about a month ago, so have been learning Davinci Resolve and how to use a film camera from a standing start.

ΓÇ£Try reducing the amount of text you use, or do a voice-over and put your bullet points on the screen as you'd do in a presentation.ΓÇ¥

Yes. Seems obvious now…. [he says holding his head in shame]

ΓÇ£Your humour wasn't bad. There were a few good parts here and there. The worst part for me was when you did an impression of your grandma. That was very cringy. It doesn't fit your style that well. Without the acting and weird pronunciation that would have fit much better, in my opinion.ΓÇ¥

Yeah, I’ve been asking people about the Grandma bit. Problem is everyone who knows me says is great, but I think everyone else thinks it’s the least funny thing in the world. I think seeing a male friend [for example] in a dress may be funny in and of itself. But if it’s someone you don’t know, they then also have to be funny, for it to be funny. I really wish I’d cut that out. It was impro. She was just meant to say, ‘there’s no such things as free dinners’… as a quick, if you blink you miss it, cut away.

ΓÇ£Sometimes it just felt as you were trying too hard.ΓÇ¥

Yeah, maybe stage performance and it needs a lighter touch. But IΓÇÖm not sure if I will get that [the balance] easily.

ΓÇ£And for the editing, I would use different background images for your green screen. Maybe even videos, that keeps the image lively. I use pixabayΓÇ¥

It was a last-minute change, as the one I wanted – was strobing and ‘living’ in my hair… all kinds of weird.

And I use Pixabay ΓÇô the free clips.

ΓÇ£It just gets a bit boring if nothing is happening for a while. You could also put yourself in front of websites and point to what's important. Maybe sprinkle everything with some animations and effects.ΓÇ¥

Yes, I saw a Mr Beast video where he talked about how there should always be something happening. Whether thatΓÇÖs sound, of animation/etc.

ΓÇ£Sadly your Thumbnail doesn't reflect that well. I'd simply put yourself with an expression as you did on the thumbnail, add one fitting background image, and then add text if necessary. You use so many different colours and fonts on your thumbnail, that's a nightmare for graphic designers.

If you give me a picture of you, I would make you a thumbnail if you want. It's not difficult, and I do mine with GIMP.ΓÇ¥

IΓÇÖm sure thatΓÇÖs true as you are not the first to say that. I thought I was making great thumbnails ΓÇô by getting key / interesting text into the photo. Interestingly the Honey Thumbnail is by far, and I mean by far, the best I have had.

It has an Impressions click-through rate of 8.7%

I donΓÇÖt know what a good rate is, but for me I have 1.1% to 2.7% as my average, with a couple around the 4% mark.

So although I know it must be bad, and the others worse ΓÇô it just happens for whatever reason to have a high [for me click through rate]

Thanks ever so much for the review/advice

It was FAAAAAAR more than I could have hoped for

Thanks again

J

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Pixel Plays

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I only saw your reply now, didn't get a notification somehow...

You know, that you can still cut the grandma impression out with the YT editor?
I had a video that lost 90% of its audience in the first 20 seconds because my intro was too long. I've cut that out, and it should help my audience retention.

Okay, a CTR of 8.7% is really not bad. My CTR fluctuates a lot, though. Take a look at it over time in the analytics. Maybe I'm just not the person who likes these thumbnails.

OP
OP
MaJ

MaJ

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Thanks

It's now on CTR of 9%

Again I think you may well be correct, as all my other thumbnails have very low CTR

Maybe this one is the exception that proves the rule

Reactions: Dr Pixel Plays