• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice What's best long or short videos?

Keeping up with the

Cooking with Mrs Joneses
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am very unsure or how long a video should be. I notice when I do less than 10 minutes I get maybe one or two watch on average. But if I do a 20-minute video I might get four watch minutes I'm not understanding what I'm doing wrong.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
WhatΓÇÖs your content about? Because the length may not even be a factor. Is your content engaging with your viewers? Are you offering something the viewers are interested in? And whatever niche youΓÇÖre in, is your content the same or does it stand out from the others?

Have a look at the video analytics especially the audience retention graph and see where viewers are clicking off, then figure out what causes that, and make changes around that, eg I kept losing views near the start as my retention graph showed, the problem: longer than necessary intro, the solution: cut down intro.

IΓÇÖm going to share a link that is very useful for those new to YouTube (assuming you are):

Even if youΓÇÖve been on for a short time, itΓÇÖs a good read and a good reminder for why we upload videos to YouTube. Anyways hope this helps.

OP
OP
Keeping up with the

Keeping up with the

Cooking with Mrs Joneses
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Wow thank!!! I'm not sure about the Analytics because I definitely have 1 video 3 months after I started that did terrific I mean like 50K pretty much instantly. But it's like now I'm having a hard time we're getting back up there I don't know what I did in particular about that video. And like I stated I'm still in the learning process of the Analytics.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Wow thank!!! I'm not sure about the Analytics because I definitely have 1 video 3 months after I started that did terrific I mean like 50K pretty much instantly. But it's like now I'm having a hard time we're getting back up there I don't know what I did in particular about that video. And like I stated I'm still in the learning process of the Analytics.
DonΓÇÖt worry weΓÇÖre all still in the learning process on many things, youΓÇÖll find that on the very extremely rare occasion a video will just go nuts and youΓÇÖll probably never know what caused it, just got lucky, but anyways all I can say is learn lots and have loads of patience, but most importantly, have fun and donΓÇÖt focus on the numbers.

Reactions: Keeping up with the

Annies Sleeping ASMR

TubeBuddy Legend

I believe getting things right in YouTube takes time. I sure am taking a long time to get it. But you will get it! :)

Annies Sleeping ASMR

TubeBuddy Legend

I believe getting things right in YouTube takes time. I sure am taking a long time to get it. But you will get it! :)

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
The 10 min mark works well for me. ThereΓÇÖs no point making longer videos for the sake of it if they donΓÇÖt attract more watch time. If they are however, then maybe go for it. Also depends on the content as some things donΓÇÖt need long videos

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Every single video has a set amount of time that it is worth watching. There is no blanket answer as to whether short or long videos are better. They each serve a purpose and rather than subjecting your content to vague generalities I suggest making every single video only as long as it needs to be based on the content provided.

• Love
Reactions: SILTHW

Professor Rodrigo

faço videos de 8 a 15 minutos acho ideal para youtube, mais o youtube esses dias tem me tirado inscritos, mais acredito que seja de contas inativas ou fantasmas, qual ideia que vocês me dariam para melhorar o canal sendo tenho feito todas as tags conteúdo e tumbs boas tive ótimos resultados mais o que fazer para um canal pequeno lavancar com algaritmo do youtube para que ele possa jogar meus videos para mais pessoas.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
It depends on what you're shooting. If you shooting some epic adventure across the Serengeti, you probably need an hour. If you're just reviewing some cellphone app, 3 minutes is plenty. Almost no one will watch your whole video. Their loss, but if they are getting to the half way point, I generally consider that a successful video.

makram

الفيدو له ميزاته خاصتا إذا كان غريب خارج عن المالوف مشاهدة والتحميل والمشاركة به عبر مواقغ التواصل اما الطويل فانه يساعد علي زيادت عدد ساعات المشاهدت خاصتا ان ان كان فلم او عروض مضحكة طريفة قطط او اطفال

tennman

My channel is 3 years old and I have 30 million views on the channel with about 200,000 subscribers. I try to make my videos 15-25 minutes. The longer you can keep someone on your channel and on YouTube, the more YouTube rewards. BUT if your content is bad and people watch only a small percentage, then definitely don't make long videos. If you can't keep the watch rate up that long, stick with shorter videos.

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Also wanted to add that maybe a certain type will help you with a specific goal e.g. short videos for subs and long for watch time. IΓÇÖm not sure but itΓÇÖs just a thought and obviously channel dependent

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Only make videos as long as they need to be. Don't stretch out a video that could be 4 minutes into a 10 minute video, but also don't rush a video to make it shorter if you feel it could be a little longer. Make it long enough that it will get your point across, but don't overdo it.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Honestly make the videos as long as they need to be, and plan for if they're going to be a short or a normal YouTube video. Do keyword research to make sure their is interest already there, and if there isn't keep that in mind, and you will need to have a GOOD thumbnail that earns clicks to help it in suggested. Content length, should be as @Legacy said as long as it needs to be.

AussieBangerz

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
@DamoΓÇÖs Paintings made some great points..

For me, in my genre..
5-7 mins is perfect for me.. 3-4 minute retention rate..
Occasionally I'll pop out a video 10-12 minutes long but retention rate is still similar 4-5 minutes..

KUN'13

Short videos can attract more subscribers, but if you want watch time, then please make a long video