• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Translating Subtitles

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have recently been getting requests for subtitles in other languages. Has anyone tried downloading the YouTube subtitles and translating them and uploading for another language? Is it worth the time? I know I have had requests from Spanish and German speaking people on my channel which is why I'm wondering.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Well, if it means a lot to you to please your audience the time is absolutely worth it. It depends on how you decide to go about making the translations. You can either use Google translate and manually change the text which will obviously be time-consuming depending on how long your videos are and how much talking/chatting you do. But again it's for your viewers, YT is all about giving them what they want for your channel to succeed. Then there are services that will do it for you translate them. They may cost a few bucks per video based on the length but can be much easier.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I am a HUGE fan of translating not only captions but titles and descriptions as well. I try to translate every video to about 20 languages. Its work, but can be done in about 30 minutes (after you edit captions and have mastered the process). I have ranked for several terms in different languages and have even had some go minor-viral in other countries. The CPM's suck but it can definitely help your view/subscribership.

Reactions: Ikerot
OP
OP
WorldComposting

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am a HUGE fan of translating not only captions but titles and descriptions as well. I try to translate every video to about 20 languages. Its work, but can be done in about 30 minutes (after you edit captions and have mastered the process). I have ranked for several terms in different languages and have even had some go minor-viral in other countries. The CPM's suck but it can definitely help your view/subscribership.
How do you translate to that many? Are you using a website or service? CPM is the least of my concerns I really want to get the information I provide out to more people and hope that it is useful to them!

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
nope, I do it all myself. I open two browser windos to Google Translate; one for the title and one for the description. Then i just go meticulously through the list of 20 languages that have performed best for me, cooying and pasting from english to another language and then to the translation field in YouTube.

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Aye, I do that for all my videos. Translating the title and descriptions. Though I take a look at TB's language analysis to see the percentage of the top 10 languages and then use that to figure out what language to translate.

I don't do that much as Stanley though, so it's easy for me to apply it through the auto-translator xD

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Oooh I will add that the language analyser is a great tool. Personally i write a seperate title/description with far more simple verbage (and less geographical specifics) to make it easier to translate and understand in various languages.