• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Opinion Expensive or cheap

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Ok IΓÇÖve seen this in another forum, but letΓÇÖs keep this gear focused, when it comes to making your content, are you a cheap *** and just rig up whatever you need with what ever junk is lying around the house, or do you go all out and purchase professional gear for a pretty cost?

Me? Well I kind of fall in the middle somewhere although leaning more towards the cheap side, I use an iPhone on a proper mount, and have ordered a wireless mic, which still hasnΓÇÖt arrived (grumpy face), but as for lighting, either the curtains get pulled open, or a ceiling light is aimed in my direction, it works for me.

NiklasVoss

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I try to squeeze out as much as I can out of as little as possible. I think in 2020 you have to have some quality behind your videos.

There are 1-2 things you don't want to cheap out on i think.
I use a middle of the road mic (bought it used, so half price) and a middle of the road key light. This gives me such a big boost in quality, that the rest is literally ikea desk lamps and blankets do dampen the sound a bit :D

Ameen

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
I just have an old mic and a tab or a laptop to screenrecord the vid that's all:) looking forward to buying new things

so technically im a cheap youtuber sadly :(

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I started with a gaming headset and a webcam then bought a better mic. Now I have a much better mic but the same webcam. You use what you got and improve when you can if necessary or worth it. I have hopes of putting together a fairly decent setup as I plan to make this a career not just as YouTuber or a streamer but as a business to help others. Oh and as for a light I bought an LED lamp a while back that allows me to change the brightness and the hue. Comes in handy with the bendable arm, clamp bottom and USB plug.

Floris Food

Good food,great life.
Subscriber Goal
I just bought a zhiyun smooth II, filming with ny s10 samsung and d3200 nikon,havent had any complaint yet

Dr Pixel Plays

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I'm a modest person (sounds better than stingy), so I usually like to do things on the cheap side. Well, but when I need quality, I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck. So I'm mostly running budget and mid-end gear. To justify the cost for high-end gear you should at least be making some money out of it, in my opinion.

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
My samsung phone, cushion sometimes in a car or walking down the street on a selfie stick. I think am the cheapest but not my fault. I just talk crab and people listen to my ranting about the news.

OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
My samsung phone, cushion sometimes in a car or walking down the street on a selfie stick. I think am the cheapest but not my fault. I just talk crab and people listen to my ranting about the news.
ThatΓÇÖs great, and with 7k subscribers and just a Samsung on a selfie stick, you got a great recipe for making your videos, unlike us that are indoors and having to set up lighting and microphones etc, I still consider myself cheap though, but once IΓÇÖm in a bigger place and have a more buffed up channel, IΓÇÖll invest in equipment, but for now, just an iPhone attached to my easel, ceiling light pointing to me, and a computer that thinks itΓÇÖs in the 80s :laughing:

• Love
Reactions: Blessing

Gunjit

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
The expensive is not always the best, You should choose according to your requirement

OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
The expensive is not always the best, You should choose according to your requirement
Definitely, I wouldnΓÇÖt ever splash out something like $10k on equipment just for a few painting videos, thatΓÇÖs a bit over, like you say, only what we need, not necessarily the latest and greatest just because so and so said so.

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Ok IΓÇÖve seen this in another forum, but letΓÇÖs keep this gear focused, when it comes to making your content, are you a cheap *** and just rig up whatever you need with what ever junk is lying around the house, or do you go all out and purchase professional gear for a pretty cost?

Me? Well I kind of fall in the middle somewhere although leaning more towards the cheap side, I use an iPhone on a proper mount, and have ordered a wireless mic, which still hasnΓÇÖt arrived (grumpy face), but as for lighting, either the curtains get pulled open, or a ceiling light is aimed in my direction, it works for me.
I have my iphone SE, Lav mic and one light stand set.

Jarvis Phan

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
That's a really tough question to answer because everyone's situation is different. I think you just have to work with whatever is within your budget because you might not get a return on your investment. For me, since I'm already in the field of music, it's necessary that I have certain equipment (Camera, Tripods, Piano, Macbook, Microphones etc.) to do my daily job therefore I don't mind investing more in my YouTube Channel because it can serve another purpose if I don't make a return on it. Hope that helps!

Legacy

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I don't wanna spend tons of money on equipment and gear but I also don't want it to be too cheap either because I want the quality of my videos to look and sound good. I'm hoping to replace my camera sometime soon because it has been used either by me or my sister since 2013. It's a Sony Handicam that has a 32x zoom and records up to 1440i quality (was about $300 when my sister got it for her birthday in 2013). I use Vegas Movie Platinum 16 for my video editor; it's not free but it's not like $400 either (I got it for my birthday last year and it cost about $50ish dollars). I don't have any gear to really help with lighting issues or sound though and would like something not terribly expensive, but good quality. So overall, I wouldn't make an outrageous purchase for filming and editing equipment as long as it does what you need and makes videos decent.