• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Skippable vs Non Skippable Ads?

WhiteStrat

I host a long-form interview podcast, called Everyone loves guitar. We've had over 700 episodes and I wanted to know if anyone here has done any kind of A/B split-testing over time, with skippable vs. non-skippable ads in YouTube?

We post our shows to our YouTube channel, and currently run ads that can be skipped. I was wondering how non-skippable ads would impact viewership longevity, and ad revenue?

Specifically, will people watch less of the show if the ads are non-skippable? Currently, it's not abnormal for some of our shows (these are 2-3 hour shows) to have 15-20+ % viewership still watching at the end of the videos.

Sure, I'd like to make a few more bucks, but not at the expense of people not watching - which I am pretty sure would lower our authority, recommendability, etc. on YouTube.

Thank you in advance for any input you can give here.

Last edited by a moderator:

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I host a long-form interview podcast, called Everyone loves guitar. We've had over 700 episodes and I wanted to know if anyone here has done any kind of A/B split-testing over time, with skippable vs. non-skippable ads in YouTube?

We post our shows to our YouTube channel, and currently run ads that can be skipped. I was wondering how non-skippable ads would impact viewership longevity, and ad revenue?

Specifically, will people watch less of the show if the ads are non-skippable? Currently, it's not abnormal for some of our shows (these are 2-3 hour shows) to have 15-20+ % viewership still watching at the end of the videos.

Sure, I'd like to make a few more bucks, but not at the expense of people not watching - which I am pretty sure would lower our authority, recommendability, etc. on YouTube.

Thank you in advance for any input you can give here.

Every audience is different. I'd test them on some popular shows and see how that goes, so you have data. Without data it's going to be based on hunches, because the sheer fact every audience is different.

OP
OP
WhiteStrat

WhiteStrat

Great idea, thanks @Andrew. As far as data, what metrics do you specifically suggest I measure over a similar time frame on those videos I am testing?

TanookiAlex

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Personally i always implement one non skippable ad at the front of the video, because then i usually catch it straight on and i only miss out on maybe 1% of viewers. however, most of my revenue personally comes from skippable ads because i make very long discussion based content. podcasts i'd assume are your category, so i'd definitely focus your revenue on both equally - 8% rates are for me