• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Audio Gear Better audio quality

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
My birthday is in about 12 days now and I'm really wanting a mic so I can talk when I screen record videos with people actually being able to hear what I say. Partly why I haven't talked in my videos cause I don't have a mic that's not built into something else like my phone or computer, and the other part is just being a bit nervous that people will make fun of my voice. So I wanna try and ask for a mic for one of my birthday gifts so that my voice would at least (hopefully) sound better when it's being recorded, but I need options that aren't super expensive.
Rode Podmic is about the best you can get for under $100. BUT, it would require an audio interface that can take an XLR connection. Blue Yeti is about the best bang for your buck for a USB mic.

If you have a used music equipment store, you can probably get a steal on a good used mic and even an audio interface. Pro equipment is generally built to last, so buying used isn't a bad option.

Reactions: Damon

MiddleofKnowhere

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Cheap lav mics can make all the difference as the above say. Audio and lighting are key almost more so than the camera you use b/c well, everyone has a phone but if they can't hear you well or see you well it's all for naught. When you can spend more get better audio gear. I'm using a corded lav mic but have a shotgun mic in the wings should I need that.

Reactions: Cgalindez

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I FINALLY got my wireless mic, definitely a much needed addition to my tech, as I was using the ear buds that typically come with iPhones, now I just need to find the sweet spot when pinning it to my T-shirt, meaning no matter where I turn or what I do, itΓÇÖs crystal clear :blush:

Now all I have to do is upgrade my steam powered computer, do something about my lighting, and IΓÇÖm all good to go :)

Reactions: Growing Up Walls

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
I FINALLY got my wireless mic, definitely a much needed addition to my tech, as I was using the ear buds that typically come with iPhones, now I just need to find the sweet spot when pinning it to my T-shirt, meaning no matter where I turn or what I do, itΓÇÖs crystal clear :blush:

Now all I have to do is upgrade my steam powered computer, do something about my lighting, and IΓÇÖm all good to go :)
What did you end up getting?

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
Whatever the vloggers here in mainland use, itΓÇÖs quite a high quality one, apparently, IΓÇÖm gonna give it some use, see if itΓÇÖs up for the job, but so far so good :)
Let us know how it works out! I found some interesting A/V stuff there that never gets exported because of the challenges with the various certifications.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Let us know how it works out! I found some interesting A/V stuff there that never gets exported because of the challenges with the various certifications.
Yep for sure, itΓÇÖs doing a fine job, I just gotta clip it better to my T-shirt and all is good :laughing:

MyBlocksStrongestMan

Recognized Member
I love my Rode Wireless Go. It's great quality for the price and you can use it on a DSLR and phone, if you get the adapter. : https://amzn.to/32kzoSb Only five years ago, this set-up would have cost $800, as there were only pro equipment available, but now it's down to $200 so much more attainable. If you're just starting out and not moving anywhere you can get a $15 to $20 lav mic from Amazon, which I used for a years.
I requested the Rode Wireless Go as a gift for my birthday tomorrow from my wife since a lot of my content is on the go in the back yard. Let's see how that turns out.

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
I requested the Rode Wireless Go as a gift for my birthday tomorrow from my wife since a lot of my content is on the go in the back yard. Let's see how that turns out.
Let's hope she can get one! They are back-ordered almost everywhere right now. I would strongly suggest getting the go lav with it so you can put the unit on your belt and run the mic through your shirt.

MyBlocksStrongestMan

Recognized Member
I recommend checking out the Mike Russell YouTube channel. He is an audio master who was recommended by Nick Nimmin during one of his live streams. Although I do use a separate Blue Yeti mic, I was able to greatly enhance my audio quality with 3 simple settings on Audacity that Mike teaches.

Let's hope she can get one! They are back-ordered almost everywhere right now. I would strongly suggest getting the go lav with it so you can put the unit on your belt and run the mic through your shirt.
Good suggestion! It looked like Amazon had the white version in stock and I'm fine with that.

You can use a free program called audacity, It record great audio and I personally use it!
Have you checked out Mike Russell's Audacity tutorial to make your voice sound better? It made a big difference for me.

FreeStyleKing

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I've fixed that by buying BOYA lev. mic which is cheap and good quality and instaled on my phone aplication Motive Audio which is a grat aplication for sound recording made by Shure company.
After that no more problem. Video I shoot with camera and audio with my phone. This is a good choice but also you beed to control audio recording because of audio gain level.

For me it helped a lot.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I've fixed that by buying BOYA lev. mic which is cheap and good quality and instaled on my phone aplication Motive Audio which is a grat aplication for sound recording made by Shure company.
After that no more problem. Video I shoot with camera and audio with my phone. This is a good choice but also you beed to control audio recording because of audio gain level.

For me it helped a lot.

Happy to hear it's been working! Do you have to sync in post or is it in camera :)

FreeStyleKing

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Happy to hear it's been working! Do you have to sync in post or is it in camera :)
I sync in post, that is my usual practice, but sound is coming much better. I've learned that audio production is as well needed as video so I'm keeping it like that in my work.
Every audio recording before ti comes in Premiere it goes in programs for audio design to cut all higher frequencies, make all compression needed, mute all not needed sounds and make the tone color which fits video the best with equalizers. That is longer process but outcome is great.
After that in Premiere just sync is needed and it turns out great.
My mentors for that are audio engineers which are really good in that field and they tech me a lot. One more time my search for knowledge opened one more interesting door for my self.

Last edited:

SILTHW

Subscriber Goal
I sync in post, that is my usual practice, but sound is coming much better. I've learned that audio production is as well needed as video so I'm keeping it like that in my work.
Every audio recording before ti comes in Premiere it goes in programs for audio design to cut all higher frequencies, make all compression needed, mute all not needed sounds and make the tone color which fits video the best with equalizers. That is longer process but outcome is great.
After that in Premiere just sync is needed and it turns out great.
My mentors for that are audio engineers which are really good in that field and they tech me a lot. One more time my search for knowledge opened one more interesting door for my self.
Good for you! This is a great investment in yourself! So many people get audio wrong.

FreeStyleKing

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Good for you! This is a great investment in yourself! So many people get audio wrong.
Hm, thanks, it is always good to gainbthe knowledge and go one step up. I grow out in the circle of musical producers so studio was not unknow to me even when I was much younger. But now when I do things like audio design I can undersyand sound much better.
It is so cool when you actually model the vocal the way you would like to sound, even your ears and preception of listening get sharper.
That is why nowdays I allways do like that. Soon much more content where I will apply all that will be on my channel, for now there is just dancing content from a reason because I didnt do exactlly that thing which now I learned.