• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Advice Lighting and Backgrounds

cookiequeenamber

TubeBuddy User
I was given a lighting and background set up. I have never used lighting with photography or video before so I am looking for some tips and tricks if anyone here would be willing to share.

Reactions: ZaraMagdalene
OP
OP
cookiequeenamber

cookiequeenamber

TubeBuddy User
What kind of lighting and background set up is that? Where did you get it and how much?
2 light stand tripods, 2 massive light bulbs, 2 reflective umbrellas, 2 white umbrellas, an extendable background frame, 4 backgrounds (black, white, grey, green). It was a gift from one of my viewers, I think its Newer brand from Amazon.

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
2 light stand tripods, 2 massive light bulbs, 2 reflective umbrellas, 2 white umbrellas, an extendable background frame, 4 backgrounds (black, white, grey, green). It was a gift from one of my viewers, I think its Newer brand from Amazon.

Interesting. Can you show us a picture?

NiklasVoss

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hey there,

so what you ideally want to do (for video) is try a 3 point lighting setup.

The key light (main light for your face) at an angle toward your face. Put the umbrella between you and the light so the light gets nice and soft.
The second light to the oppsite side of your face to fill in the darker spots that the key light is not lighting up. This one should be not as bright as the key light.
And if you have a third light lying around (desk lamp or something) you can light up your background a bit to seperate you from it.

Literally just released a video on my channel how to setup something like this. :)

For photo it is really dependent on what mood you are going for.
Sometimes you just want one soft light to make it as dramatic as possible, sometimes a three point lighting works better. All down to your creativity. :)

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖm gonna be making some small changes to m background, as for the lighting, well, IΓÇÖll just stick to the ceiling light pointing at me and my area, got my little girl moving around and donΓÇÖt want her to trip and fall from my equipment.

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
That's really nice that one of your viewers to give you that equipment . I got a shout out yesterday and the lady is sending me a book. :blush:

sadriercan

TubeBuddy Pro
You are new on youtube so if i were you, i wouldnt buy any light or green scene.
Because there are 2 most important things in videos;
1. Video quality
2. Sound quality.

So first i bought a good camera. And a good mic.

Reactions: AurigaDave
OP
OP
cookiequeenamber

cookiequeenamber

TubeBuddy User
@sadriercan I was gifted a lighting and background set up, and am looking to learn how to use it.

That's really nice that one of your viewers to give you that equipment . I got a shout out yesterday and the lady is sending me a book. :blush:
It was an amazing surprise. I have an amazon wishlist set up for upgrades I am looking at in the future for my channels, and I randomly got a message from this person saying I hope you enjoy the gift. Then this huge box shows up on my doorstep. I was floored.

IΓÇÖm gonna be making some small changes to m background, as for the lighting, well, IΓÇÖll just stick to the ceiling light pointing at me and my area, got my little girl moving around and donΓÇÖt want her to trip and fall from my equipment.
I have two very curious dogs, so I have to watch out for cables as well. It makes things a bit interesting

Midas

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
themidasmvmt.com
Subscriber Goal
3-Point Lighting setup is all you need for YT videos or something similar to the 3-point system. The technique uses three lights called the key light, fill light and backlight. Naturally, you will need three lights to utilize the technique fully, but the principles are still important even if you only use one or two lights. As a rule, If you only have one light, it becomes the key. If you have 2 lights, one is the key and the other is either the fill or the backlight. The backlight makes you look 3D and gives your video depth while the fill/side light eliminates shadows cast by the main/Keylight which you'll want to place about 45 degrees to one side of where you'll be facing. Sometimes I only use the Key light and other times I use more lights.

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
It was an amazing surprise. I have an amazon wishlist set up for upgrades I am looking at in the future for my channels, and I randomly got a message from this person saying I hope you enjoy the gift. Then this huge box shows up on my doorstep. I was floored.
That is so nice :grinning:

OP
OP
cookiequeenamber

cookiequeenamber

TubeBuddy User
3-Point Lighting setup is all you need for YT videos or something similar to the 3-point system. The technique uses three lights called the key light, fill light and backlight. Naturally, you will need three lights to utilize the technique fully, but the principles are still important even if you only use one or two lights. As a rule, If you only have one light, it becomes the key. If you have 2 lights, one is the key and the other is either the fill or the backlight. The backlight makes you look 3D and gives your video depth while the fill/side light eliminates shadows cast by the main/Keylight which you'll want to place about 45 degrees to one side of where you'll be facing. Sometimes I only use the Key light and other times I use more lights.
Thanks for this. I'll definitely try and set this up. I actually had an LED light panel before I was gifted this set so I do have three lights :) Now to rearrange my whole battlestation so things can work lol

Reactions: Midas