• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Cannibalize existing channel with topic/language change or new channel?

kipp1971

I have an existing YT channel with about 2,000 subscribers. My videos average about 800-1,000 views per month - topping out in the 5K-10K range after 6 months (those are totals). The channel is targeting a certain audience in a European country/language (not English). The channel was started with no intention to really make it big, but 2,000 subscribers later I have very different plans.

However, the target audience and niche is probably limited to 20K or less subscribers. Similar channels, about 1-2 years older seem to top out at 5K and I found 2 channels that reached 15K or 20K subscribers respectively.

I am considering the following:

I am considering to switch to make only videos in English going forward. The "new" topic for the channel would be about 30% related to the original one, but slightly different in nature. Competing channels in this area are 100K to 300K subscribers and have views per video in the several hundreds of thousands range, some close to 900K of views. The target audience is significantly larger as described.

I feel I have 2 options.

1) Start a new channel, upload 20-30 videos and then switch to 1-2 per week cadence. Then advertise/market the new channel discreetly on the old channel and hope that some subscribers also subscribe to the new channel and help to push it forward.

2) Cannibalize the old channel and completely switch the content to English and lose half of the subscribers, but as the channel has views and traffic benefit from that and attract a new audience.

Thoughts or ideas? Would love to get your input.

Midas

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
themidasmvmt.com
Subscriber Goal
Cannibalize the old one especially if you already have it monetized. Otherwise, you might as well make a new one. I just switched a channel from 7 years ago with 2.2K followers that had gotten demonetized. I taught tech on it before I left it. I came back, archived all my videos, and started posting very frequently again. I've managed to grow it to about 10.7K followers in 4 months. It was basically a new channel by the time I came back to it and I had to force the channel to change its category by flooding the new page with Fitness content( One video every 4 days ). You can look up the channel here if you want. (Midas - The MVMT)

Reactions: kipp1971
OP
OP
kipp1971

kipp1971

@Midas Thank you for sharing what you did. An increased cadence of video releases sounds like might be the key. I know some of the current subscribers will complain, but you are right - I am already monetized and why not take advantage of it.