• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Question about the new mid-roll ad policy

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I got an email today about the new mid-roll ads policy. It says that when they change the limit from 10 minute vids to 8 minute vids - they will automatically inset ads. Even if you opted out before. They go on to say you can opt-out (again) by 27JUL2020.

As part of this change, mid-roll ads will be turned on for all eligible existing videos and future video uploads, including those videos where you may have previously opted out of mid-roll ads.

On the monetization tab there is a banner to make opting out very easy. It is automatically opted in, now. I had previously opted out already. I want to opt out, because I personally hate all ads. Even as a creator I find it hard to believe anyone surfs without AdBlock... My wife says to leave it opted in, but she is young and is not bothered by ads ha ha

I have never used mid-roll ads and wonder what luck any of y'all have had with them. All I can go by is what I do. I have not watched an ad on tv since the DVR was invented. I never saw many ads online because I have used AdBlock since the late 1990s. When I first started watching YouTube (2006), I do think they had ads and I never realized they added them because I have AdBlocker (I have heard that Facebook also has ads but cannot confirm that ha ha). A mid-roll ad would be the fastest way to get me to click off your vid. Am I the only one like that?

My wife complains about mid-roll ads but watches them. She says I should let YT enable them, I am inclined to go opt out again.
  • Do you use mid-roll ads? If so, what is your experience with them? (placement and revenue)
  • do you let YT place them automatically?
  • how many ads would a 30 minute video likely get?

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
My wife and I use them, but try to limit it them to 2 at most if the video is around 10-12 minutes long. I'd be reluctant to use more than 1 mid-roll in an 8-10 minute video. Technically, you can do as many as you want and I found some complaining on Reddit about a major YouTuber having 6-7 ads in a 10ish minute video and that being way too much. Having 2 mid-rolls has not affected my audience retention in a major way from what I can tell, but we've only been monetized for a little over 2 weeks now. I do them manually and try to base it on audience retention and put 1 mid-roll a bit before I anticipate the average viewer dropping out (and tweak it a bit as needed) and another a bit more towards the end in hope that people who are already committed to making it 70% or so through my video won't mind another ad.

Like you, I previously used Adblocker on YouTube and thought nothing of it, but now have a different perspective on it. Provided there aren't too many, like the above example, I wait out the 30 seconds for my favorite creators now in their mid-roll ads to let them get paid. I still use Adblocker on every other site though. Finally, for a 30 minute video, you can certainly experiment, while keeping your audience retention rate in mind and place them as you please without bombarding your audience.

OP
OP
Tito Tim

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
If I use them I would be lazy and let YT set them up... but is there a way I can let them add them - but only 1 per vid? No matter how long the vid is I would want no more than 1 break. If I have to do it manually, I will just opt out.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
i use midrolls sparingly. I try to make 15-20 minute videos but i also let the content dictate actual length, so often i am left with a 6-10 minute product. I will put on manually-placed midroll on videos over 10 minutes (and may continue that for 8 minute vids).

After 1 year with no midrolls we implemented 1 per 10+ min vid this spring and have seen about a 25% gain in revenue.

I would not trust YouTube to automatically place them... in fact i try to create a decent space for one while filming. Like you i want to be as unobtrusive as possible. If i were to achieve a full 30 minute video i would likely increase the number of midrolls to 3-5 in order to offset the work that would go into making that length video.

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
You can let them add it and adjust after. They automatically add 3 per each video and you can just delete the 2 you don't want.

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I turn them on for videos over 10 minutes but have to admit I pay for YouTube Premium so I never see ads.

I think YouTube is doing this so they can run more ads on popular videos that are under 10 minutes. I know people in advertising and many clients are not spending money in this area due to the pandemic and while YouTube parent Alphabet is probably getting a good amount of ad revenue they are probably trying to optimize it as much as possible hence the change.

JoshKimche

I think changing it to 8 mintues is good, I've seen a lot of popular videos which are about 10 and 2 seconds long with just a minute of waffle in order to have the mid roll.
I think most people are used to seeing adverts on YouTube, although its a bit strange where they can be placed, if seen punchlines and payoffs been ruined by literally putting an ad in the middle of it

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Tito Tim

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I guess I will not opt-out, and see how it goes. I think I will let YT add them at first and see it they do a good job. If not, it is easy enough to adjust later. My vids basically have a 4 day life anyway. Once my 500 regulars watch.... that is all.... So if YT adds any mid-rolls on my older vids, no one will notice ha ha

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have not yet reached monetization, but 8 minutes seem good enough, even though my videos rarely reach 8 minutes.