• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Remember: The Thumbnail Is The First Thing Everyone Sees

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
If you ever wondered just how important the thumbnail for your video is, always remember this one thing. The thumbnail is the first thing potential viewers see when searching. So if you want your video to be the video to go to in the search make that thumbnail pop, make it stand out, make it noticeable. Also, take into account the image is about the size of a smartwatch on a browser, it's even smaller on a smartphone. So make sure if you're adding text that the font style and size is legible and not too overwhelming that it distracts from the image. You wanna make sure the image conveys what the video is about as much as the title does. Also, remember certain colors are more attractive to the eyes so you wanna use colors that catch the viewers attention and can stand out better on YouTube's white UI or even in dark mode.

This is some of my best advice I can give:
  • Include your channel avatar on your thumbnail in a corner, not too big; this helps expose your brand making it easier to find your content in future searches
  • If you're gonna use borders on your thumbnail remember that while a white border looks nice on a dark mode YouTube it will make the image look smaller with dark mode off. Use colors that work well with both.
  • Consistency is key, stick with the same font style if you're gonna have text and try to create a template where your thumbnails have some similarities/consistency that help them stand out, another form of branding.
  • Use high-quality backgrounds, images, and cliparts, distorted images with a lot of pixelation will look unprofessional and can turn potential viewers off.

_2_how_to_create_a_thumbnail_YouTube.png

Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama
OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
And remember that thumbnails are for strangers

When I do channel reviews and recommend some changes to thumbnails the creator will often say "my fans get it" and I'm like "these aren't for your fans, they're for your future fans who don't know you yet!"

Exactly, your fans don't need to search for your content if they know where to find it. Your goal is to attract new potential subscribers with the thumbnails.

Reactions: TheHappyKidShow

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro

When I do channel reviews and recommend some changes to thumbnails the creator will often say "my fans get it" and I'm like "these aren't for your fans, they're for your future fans who don't know you yet!"

This is so true and great advice. as well as what Brave Starr said and it has really helped us to keep that in mind on our latest videos. I think the idea of first designing a thumbnail for a cell phone, or at the very least keeping what it would like on a cell phone in mind is super important. Over 50% of my views are from people using a cell phone and I'm sure the statistic is the same for many.

If you are using Canva, you can set the image size to 10% and I think that is pretty close to the size it would appear on your cell phone.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal

Yes!!! I love this... so many are not perceptive of this aspect. When you start to view things from a more global perspective you will start to make better decisions regarding your work and THAT will make a HUGE impact on your channels performance!

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
YouTube randomly picks a screen grab 3 times from your video for the thumbnail. If you want more creative freedom to add text and/or use a picture of your own you will need to use a program. Thankfully there are free programs that do a good job in allowing you to play with and edit photos to make your thumbnail. Canva is a good one that many use and there are a lot of useful tools even in the free version.

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I would like to add:
Make sure the thumbnail matches your content. If it's just clickbait people will often leave your videos in a few seconds giving the video a very bad audience retention and decreasing the chance of the video to be recommended to new people.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
The "saddest" part about thumbnails, is they don't play to your tastes. What we think is a bad messy thumbnail, might actually be a pretty decent thumbnail in terms of CTR. I've been trying to improve some of my old messy thumbs, but strangly what I thought was a cleaner more clickable thumb, performed worse in A/B tests. I may just do the tests again to get a second opinion. But yes, thumbnails are a far more complex equation. The video is nothing without them, but what is clickable, isn't always what you expect.

ab tests.PNG

Reactions: Travel Interesante

WV Pet Project

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
The "saddest" part about thumbnails, is they don't play to your tastes. What we think is a bad messy thumbnail, might actually be a pretty decent thumbnail in terms of CTR. I've been trying to improve some of my old messy thumbs, but strangly what I thought was a cleaner more clickable thumb, performed worse in A/B tests. I may just do the tests again to get a second opinion. But yes, thumbnails are a far more complex equation. The video is nothing without them, but what is clickable, isn't always what you expect.

View attachment 7508
Maybe your taste is changing, but your audience's isn't....I like the originals better on both of them!