• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question New Monetization Rules

ProjectGirlBoss

TubeBuddy Legend
I've seen some people make comments about YouTube just announcing new monetization rules but I cannot find anything anywhere. Has anyone come across this?

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I got an email 2 hours ago about upcoming changes to mid-roll ads if that's what you meant :thinking:

This is a snippet of the email:
Today, only videos longer than 10 minutes are eligible for mid-roll ads. Starting in late July, all videos longer than 8 minutes will be eligible for mid-roll ads. As part of this change, we will turn on mid-roll ads for all eligible videos. This means videos where you may have opted out of mid-roll ads will now be opted in. Videos that already have mid-roll ads will not be impacted. Future uploads from monetizing channels will also have mid-roll ads turned on by default.

OP
OP
ProjectGirlBoss

ProjectGirlBoss

TubeBuddy Legend
I got an email 2 hours ago about upcoming changes to mid-roll ads if that's what you meant :thinking:

It might be. I'm not sure because I can't find anything else online. Just seen some people make comments on how they will be making videos on the newly announced monetization rules. I didn't get any email but then again I am not monetized...lol I was just curious because someone then commented how these new rules might benefit smaller creators. I guess time will tell

• Love
Reactions: AlexMagana

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
It might be. I'm not sure because I can't find anything else online. Just seen some people make comments on how they will be making videos on the newly announced monetization rules. I didn't get any email but then again I am not monetized...lol I was just curious because someone then commented how these new rules might benefit smaller creators. I guess time will tell
They do show the announcement on the Google Help page, which basically says the same thing as the email.

I suppose I understand, even though I haven't cared much about monetization. It'd be an irritating experience if you're watching a 3 min video and suddenly you get hit with a mid-roll ad :joy:

CBDHeadquarters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.cbdheadquartersemporium.com
Subscriber Goal

Wow so I'm guessing new sweet spot is 8min now for clips as shortest length to get them to click on 2-3 videos. I was just in the works of making 4-5 min clips. Thanks for sharing!
1594155069877.png

Reactions: AlexMagana

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
This means that shorter videos might not be the go-to anymore. 8-12 minutes is looking like the sweet spot.

Something to consider and experiment with. I've always believed the 6 min mark as a maximum was good for the average new YouTuber depending on the type of content. 8 to 12 for a more mature channel definitely hits a sweet spot.

Reactions: Midas

CoW mAn

TubeBuddy Legend
vacationimpossible.ca
Subscriber Goal
There have also been unsubstantiated rumours about YouTube increasing the subscriber and watch time requirements for monetization floating around recently - but they've been around since the last changes. It comes up in my Facebook group all the time, someone makes a video about a new requirement for some made up number like 10,000 subs, people freak out and we need to set the record straight so if it wasn't the midroll thing you might have just seen a flare up of that. Rest assured if there was a change to the requirements you'd see it through official communication from YouTube by e-mail, Twitter, or notification

Midas

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
themidasmvmt.com
Subscriber Goal
Something to consider and experiment with. I've always believed the 6 min mark as a maximum was good for the average new YouTuber depending on the type of content. 8 to 12 for a more mature channel definitely hits a sweet spot.
Totally agree with this since it's hard to keep the attention of viewers long enough on newer channels.

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So I just saw a video from Roberto Blake titled NEW YouTube Monetization Rules for 2020 // Mid Roll Ads Update!. He just posted it today. I'm watching it as I post this so I'll update afterward.

Midas

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
themidasmvmt.com
Subscriber Goal
There have also been unsubstantiated rumours about YouTube increasing the subscriber and watch time requirements for monetization floating around recently - but they've been around since the last changes. It comes up in my Facebook group all the time, someone makes a video about a new requirement for some made up number like 10,000 subs, people freak out and we need to set the record straight so if it wasn't the midroll thing you might have just seen a flare up of that. Rest assured if there was a change to the requirements you'd see it through official communication from YouTube by e-mail, Twitter, or notification
I haven't heard anything about a possible change to the requirements for monetization yet. I don't see them doing that. That requirement is pretty steep but who knows what they're planning for the future of YouTube

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So it seems that the talk about new monetization rules is about the midroll ads according to Roberto.

Reactions: ProjectGirlBoss

Dmi3Bals

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I don't think YouTube will raise the threshold to more than 1k subscribers and 4k hours, because it is not profitable for YouTube.

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Unless YouTube announces the new changes regarding the threshold, the requirements for it stay the same at 4K Public Watch Hours and 1k Subs.

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I normally never use mid-roll ads even due most of my videos are 10+ min long. I just find them annoying myself as a viewer and I truly believe that as a smaller channel it would cost me more than I would gain (less people sticking around watching my videos, subscribing to the channel etc vs some extra money made). I also believe that overuse of ads will make more people use an ad block.

Last edited:

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't use mid-rolls because I don't like getting them. I also have premium, so I never see ads, but I want my audience viewing experience to be good. HOWEVER, if your audience doesn't mind them, I say go for it. Every audience is different.

Reactions: Damon