• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice WhatΓÇÖs better to post?

Zita

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
zitachristie.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi all,
IΓÇÿve making these short videos up to 6 minutes and post them straight away. Now IΓÇÖm thinking to combine them together to post a longer video. I know ideally you should post long videos every day :p , but thatΓÇÖs not yet my option. So what do you guys think, is it better to post short videos a couple times during the week, or just once a week but longer video? and why?

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
My understanding has always been that shorter videos for smaller channels are often a better strategy. It's difficult to create content that can keep a viewer watching for long periods of time. The most crucial time is the first 30 seconds which is usually where the average YouTuber loses viewers if their content is not, well, good. 6 minutes falls within the average best length for small startups.

Why do you believe combining videos for one larger video a week would be better for your channel? Are you having difficulty creating 2 videos a week? Is your audience requesting longer videos or perhaps combining them? I'm curious about your thoughts behind making longer videos in your case.

Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama

Blessing

TubeBuddy Star
lifeissues787545603.blog
Subscriber Goal
I think it depends on your content. If you are doing a how to do something video, would 6 mins do the trick? if it comedy or tutorials that can be short then for new youtubvers short videos are fine. For some people, short videos are impossible because of content so that is where you think about quality and engagement. If the content is good, you will build your audience. I have sat down watching a 1 hr video once because of the content.

Reactions: Zita
OP
OP
Zita

Zita

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
zitachristie.com
Subscriber Goal
My understanding has always been that shorter videos for smaller channels are often a better strategy. It's difficult to create content that can keep a viewer watching for long periods of time. The most crucial time is the first 30 seconds which is usually where the average YouTuber loses viewers if their content is not, well, good. 6 minutes falls within the average best length for small startups.

Why do you believe combining videos for one larger video a week would be better for your channel? Are you having difficulty creating 2 videos a week? Is your audience requesting longer videos or perhaps combining them? I'm curious about your thoughts behind making longer videos in your case.
Creating 2 videos a week is actually fine for me. IΓÇÖm only looking at my analytic now, when I post video around 6 minutes, my average view duration is less than 3 minutes, but when I post a 10 minutes video itΓÇÖs around 7 minutes. It might just because the different topics of the videos, but it got me thinking. Anyhow you have reasonable point of view. Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: BraveStar

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Longer videos appear better... cant get watchtime without the runtime, right? But in all actuality shorter videos seem to perform slightly better in search and often appeal to viewers who arent looking to sit down in front of the TV for half an hour.

ASMRSadie

ASMR Sadie
Subscriber Goal
Hi all,
IΓÇÿve making these short videos up to 6 minutes and post them straight away. Now IΓÇÖm thinking to combine them together to post a longer video. I know ideally you should post long videos every day :p , but thatΓÇÖs not yet my option. So what do you guys think, is it better to post short videos a couple times during the week, or just once a week but longer video? and why?

My channel has been around for a few years and I have found that posting longer videos helps with my rankings. I've read that the more time people spend on your channel the higher your channel ranks and the better it does in the long run. The old algorithm use to be about views now thats lower than watch time. I still can't seem to get my average viewer to watch more than a few minutes. Though when I post longer videos my channel seems to get way more views and subscribers.

If I post say 10 minute or longer videos I might get people to watch 2-3 minutes a minute or so longer than usual on my shorter videos. I do better posting daily and longer videos when I can. So I would say try going with longer videos if you can. Though just experiment with your channel. See what does better. Give longer videos a try for a month or so and if it helps keep at it. If not try something else. I've had my channel over 5 years and I am still learning what works and what doesn't.

OP
OP
Zita

Zita

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
zitachristie.com
Subscriber Goal
My channel has been around for a few years and I have found that posting longer videos helps with my rankings. I've read that the more time people spend on your channel the higher your channel ranks and the better it does in the long run. The old algorithm use to be about views now thats lower than watch time. I still can't seem to get my average viewer to watch more than a few minutes. Though when I post longer videos my channel seems to get way more views and subscribers.

If I post say 10 minute or longer videos I might get people to watch 2-3 minutes a minute or so longer than usual on my shorter videos. I do better posting daily and longer videos when I can. So I would say try going with longer videos if you can. Though just experiment with your channel. See what does better. Give longer videos a try for a month or so and if it helps keep at it. If not try something else. I've had my channel over 5 years and I am still learning what works and what doesn't.
Yes, I think I might try experimenting a bit, thank you for your input.

• Love
Reactions: ASMRSadie

Midas

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
themidasmvmt.com
Subscriber Goal
I have two channels. On one of them, I make video tutorials and talk about creator tech and on the other, I make fitness videos. I tend to make longer tutorial videos on one channel and shorter videos on the other. In my experience, it varies. I have some videos that are are about 5-6minutes long on my fitness page with a good amount of views and also have videos that are past 10 minutes on the creator tech/tutorial page with good amounts of view and vice versa for both as well.

OP
OP
Zita

Zita

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
zitachristie.com
Subscriber Goal
I have two channels. On one of them, I make video tutorials and talk about creator tech and on the other, I make fitness videos. I tend to make longer tutorial videos on one channel and shorter videos on the other. In my experience, it varies. I have some videos that are are about 5-6minutes long on my fitness page with a good amount of views and also have videos that are past 10 minutes on the creator tech/tutorial page with good amounts of view and vice versa for both as well.
Ok, I think if they are tutorial video they need it to be long, great infos, thankΓÇÖs!

CBDHeadquarters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.cbdheadquartersemporium.com
Subscriber Goal
During my R&D, I watched an interesting video by Nick Nimmin who teaches you about the youtube algorythm and calls out short videos leading right into content works best in conjunction with relative end cards. Reason is the clips are short and packed with value and when they end it leaves audience craving to click on another. If you can get them to click on 2-3 videos that way you will see the algorithm kick you up in searches of relevancy. That said, this week I will begin recording and uploading to see if that helps my channel as well.

I do want to point out that I did what you where mentioning as well by tieying several clips together to have a long one for those who just want to kick back and watch.