• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Importance of Color Correction or Color Grading

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
Hi.

I've been thinking a bit about video quality lately, done a lot of research into Color Correction and Color Grading. I guess I have a decent sound at the moment, and I want to learn new techniques, so I looked at some of these practices.

But applying them to my content seems a lot of work for less gain. If I do some Color Correction, the video looks minorly better. And Color Grading is hard as my shots have so many different colors that interfere, so having the natural colors are best for clarity of the shot. I also think that as I have a controlled environment, it's easier to get good lighting and the correct colors by changing the elements during filming.

So my question is:

Do you think Color Correction and Color Grading is worthwhile in a studio environment or is it more for a film shot on location where you can't change lighting and color variables?

Best regards
Daniel

sampocker

I got stuck during the color grading tutorial I was taking. It's important for some of the stuff I do and completely irrelevant for other stuff. I use it when it really matters but most of the time if something doesn't look quite right I end up running it through the magic wand in iMovie and just moving on.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't put a HUGE amount of importance on colour grading, but most of my videos are either black and white drawings, or digital painting. I have found I've needed to adjust my exposure and shadows and such when trying to get my drawings to show up when the lines are too light.

Sometimes people use colour grading when their skin tones are abviously not accurate, or maybe the colour temperature settings are either too warm or too cool, so you can adjust that to fix the look of a video, OR you can use crreative colour grading to make a video look more cinematic. But I don't worry too much about it unless I'm working on a colour artwork and my colour on screen doesn't look the same as the colour on the page.

Reactions: sampocker

Travel Interesante

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
For what we do, color correction in the very least is a bit important. A lot in the travel sphere do a color grade, but from where I sit, going beyond basic color correction doesn't seem to be worth the added hours it will put on the end of my edit... for now anyways.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Color correction and color grading are huge for me, but I want my fishing adventures to look like "A River Runs Through It" or a National Geographic documentary.

The key is to shoot a flat image using a true log picture profile, at least 10-bit color depth, and 4:2:2 color sub-sampling. Anything less and it isn't worth color grading.

If I don't color grade my images would look almost like a faded black and white. For most people in-camera colors works best. It all depends on where you want to go and what you want to do.

Last edited:

Dmi3Bals

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I think it is worth it. I make just one simple adjustment layer, do the white balance and color grading and apply it to my video. It is possible to make like this with my vids.

For me important is that color grading is not agressive and not annoying.

Reactions: kalaspuffar

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Ive been playing with it. Couldnt say whether its 'worth it' versus the time spent. That m's a tough call. I honestly believe this is one of those situations where quantity trumps quality (better to be able to hammer out more videos in a shorter tineframe than mess with minir improvements). But its really anybodys guess on this one.

Reactions: kalaspuffar
OP
OP
kalaspuffar

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
Hi @Damon

I went to check the color grade and stayed for the larva. Love the hat by the way :)

Did some fishing with my cousins when I was younger and the feeling of a new catch never leaves. Haven't fished for at least 20 years but I might try it again some day.

Best regards
Daniel

Hi @Dmi3Bals

Watch one of your videos about FOMO, and I would give that shot a bit more warmth. But I must say that you know how to balance a shot. Looks great.

Best regards
Daniel

• Love
Reactions: Damon and Dmi3Bals

Dmi3Bals

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hi @Dmi3Bals

Watch one of your videos about FOMO, and I would give that shot a bit more warmth. But I must say that you know how to balance a shot. Looks great.

Best regards
Daniel
Thank you! The problem is that if I put more warm to the shot, skin and table becomes more saturated with green color. I can eliminate it, but it will take a lot of time. So I decided not to spend it. :D

Midas

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
themidasmvmt.com
Subscriber Goal
Color correction and grading are important to me since I shoot everything raw. It's just habit now. It takes me minutes to color correct and then I throw on LUTS I've made.

• Love
Reactions: Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Color correction and grading are important to me since I shoot everything raw. It's just habit now. It takes me minutes to color correct and then I throw on LUTS I've made.

Agreed. Color grading can be fast, very fast. I'm not at raw just yet, but I just bought a NinjaV and my little E2C z-cam can output ProRez RAW.

Reactions: Midas