• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Starting up my YouTube channel again!

MrVoidable

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So, i've decided to start doing YouTube again, I stopped uploading videos around 2016 and i had just over 800 subscribers. The reason why i stopped uploading was because i was going through a rough time and had a lot of issues with background noise, so i didn't really want to upload. I knew that i could always come back and try again when everything was better. I recently got made redundant from my full time job because of COVID-19, and i'm currently working part time now, so i have quite a lot of spare time on my hands and would like to post videos on YouTube. Over the years my Subscribers obviously dropped, i'm currently on 734 Subscribers, and i used to post gaming videos which i LOVED doing, i would love to get back into uploading videos frequently.

I've came up with an idea of within the 4 years of not uploading videos, i have many clips saved during those years, so i'm going to make a few montages with all the clips put together and edited.

Was also thinking about doing playthroughs on Dying light, Borderlands and other games, i know how its going to be hard getting views, but i feel like i don't want to have to play games that are "trending"

Thought about making a complete new channel for gaming only but i really don't want to as i took me a while to get to 800 in Subscribers in the first place, let me know what you think.

Any tips on how you think i should start off?

Channel name is "MrVoidable"

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
Hi @MrVoidable

I would start uploading content that gets you pumped and that you are really passionate about. People that are there for you will stay and perhaps cheer you on. Some might leave as they probably forgot that they where subscribed anyway. But I don't see any reason why you should create a new channel. You are early in your journey so you can pivot without much effort or loss. Some larger channels have done the same with good results.

I did a little pivot when I had about 200 subscribers removing all my gaming content and I think that was for the better. The only thing I would recommend against is being too broad about what kind of content you create, narrower is better.

Hope this helps

Best regards
Daniel

OP
OP
MrVoidable

MrVoidable

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hi @MrVoidable

I would start uploading content that gets you pumped and that you are really passionate about. People that are there for you will stay and perhaps cheer you on. Some might leave as they probably forgot that they where subscribed anyway. But I don't see any reason why you should create a new channel. You are early in your journey so you can pivot without much effort or loss. Some larger channels have done the same with good results.

I did a little pivot when I had about 200 subscribers removing all my gaming content and I think that was for the better. The only thing I would recommend against is being too broad about what kind of content you create, narrower is better.

Hope this helps

Best regards
Daniel

Hey man thanks a lot for the advice i really appreciate it, i have loads of video ideas and i'm starting to use my Twitter, Instagram and i just created a Facebook page to help me build more of a community.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have a different approach. Like you, I'm in a similar situation. I stopped uploading about a year ago due to personal issues including background noises I couldn't control. In recent months I went through some life changes that have put me in a position where I can start uploading again though I am still working on some things for my channel because I lost all my files for my other channel when my portable drive broke. Having to make all new channel art, intros, logos, and more.

I'm starting a new channel. My old channel currently has 165 subscribers but the reason behind me starting from zero is because of the challenge of wanting to start from zero. I want to see if I can apply all the tips and ideas I have learned in the past year since I joined TubeBuddy as a moderator to see if I can grow a channel properly with actual subs and not just random people subbing.

In your case you really can choose based on what you want but here's what I think. It's been 4 years since you upload. How many channels have you not unsubbed because they stopped uploading, say, for a year or more? How many have you forgotten you were subbed to? Take into account many of your 700+ subs may not even be watching your type of content anymore. Believe me, my content viewing has changed in the last couple of years. I know it sounds nice to have 700+ subs but in my opinion what's the point of that many subs if only a handful watch your videos? You also have to take into account your older content affecting your views and YouTube's algorithm.

The only advantage I see is that you only need 200 subs to hit the 1000 subscriber requirement for YT partner program but you'll still be at zero hours watched when you start uploading so you'll still need 4000 view hours. If that's your goal I mean. If you're gonna stick with the old channel just don't let your low views at the early stages disappoint you because of your 700+ subs.

OP
OP
MrVoidable

MrVoidable

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have a different approach. Like you, I'm in a similar situation. I stopped uploading about a year ago due to personal issues including background noises I couldn't control. In recent months I went through some life changes that have put me in a position where I can start uploading again though I am still working on some things for my channel because I lost all my files for my other channel when my portable drive broke. Having to make all new channel art, intros, logos, and more.

I'm starting a new channel. My old channel currently has 165 subscribers but the reason behind me starting from zero is because of the challenge of wanting to start from zero. I want to see if I can apply all the tips and ideas I have learned in the past year since I joined TubeBuddy as a moderator to see if I can grow a channel properly with actual subs and not just random people subbing.

In your case you really can choose based on what you want but here's what I think. It's been 4 years since you upload. How many channels have you not unsubbed because they stopped uploading, say, for a year or more? How many have you forgotten you were subbed to? Take into account many of your 700+ subs may not even be watching your type of content anymore. Believe me, my content viewing has changed in the last couple of years. I know it sounds nice to have 700+ subs but in my opinion what's the point of that many subs if only a handful watch your videos? You also have to take into account your older content affecting your views and YouTube's algorithm.

The only advantage I see is that you only need 200 subs to hit the 1000 subscriber requirement for YT partner program but you'll still be at zero hours watched when you start uploading so you'll still need 4000 view hours. If that's your goal I mean. If you're gonna stick with the old channel just don't let your low views at the early stages disappoint you because of your 700+ subs.

Yeah was so close to start uploading on a new channel, but I didn't want to lose everyone who's already subbed to me, so I'm going to stick with the channel I have, I know that I'm not going to get as many views as I have uploaded in 4 years, so I'm not going to be disappointed at all. If I manage to get 20-100 views per video I'll be happy.