• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Do you have any rituals that get you pumped for filming and editing?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Sometimes, especially the last few months, I've found the stresses of the world have made me quite demontivated when it comes to editing. But I've noticed when I watch art livestream, and editing livestreams, especially from a twitch channel called "gregfromhtd" who was once a in film production, then went into YouTube full time, and edits videos live, I find myself more pumped to get work done. I think to myself "that's right, I'm coming to these creators to get my mind off things, and that's why people come to my content, so I really need to get my content done so I can give distraction to someone else"

So I watch editing livestreams and art livestreams to keep my inspiration and motivation into editing mode.

Do you have any "rituals" or go to sources to help get you into a creative zone if you might not necessarily be "feeling it"?

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
Hi @Beanie Draws

Well, independent of what kind of work I do, if I'm not feeling it I will go away doing something else for a while. For instance, doing the dishes or some other task that is physical so I can clear my mind and think about creative solutions that can break through the demotivation.

I'm motivated by doing new interesting editing choices or perhaps the subject I cover is interesting and I want it to get out there. But I'm trying to give myself a buffer of time so I don't create videos the last hour before publishing. Time pressure can be really demotivating.

Best regards
Daniel

Reactions: Beanie Draws
OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi @Beanie Draws

Well, independent of what kind of work I do, if I'm not feeling it I will go away doing something else for a while. For instance, doing the dishes or some other task that is physical so I can clear my mind and think about creative solutions that can break through the demotivation.

I'm motivated by doing new interesting editing choices or perhaps the subject I cover is interesting and I want it to get out there. But I'm trying to give myself a buffer of time so I don't create videos the last hour before publishing. Time pressure can be really demotivating.

Best regards
Daniel
I actually do this too. If I'm not feeling it, sometimes I'll do the dishes as a bit of meditation.

HikingWithGus

Subscriber Goal
I watch my oldest video, throw up with embarrassment, feed Brians poodles and tally up what I have spent on my camera equipment and the time I have spend sitting here watching "How To" videos and learning not 1 not 2 not 3 but 4 editing programs, before finding one that was not a pain to learn and did what I wanted it to not what it wanted me to do. Then I realize my channel is about getting outside backpacking, hiking and getting out in the wilds with my dog away from humanity and suddenly become very motivated. Of course it helps when my wife looks at the house and says "Ya know, I was just thinking." Which translates into, "I have a project for you to do."

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Sometimes, especially the last few months, I've found the stresses of the world have made me quite demontivated when it comes to editing. But I've noticed when I watch art livestream, and editing livestreams, especially from a twitch channel called "gregfromhtd" who was once a in film production, then went into YouTube full time, and edits videos live, I find myself more pumped to get work done. I think to myself "that's right, I'm coming to these creators to get my mind off things, and that's why people come to my content, so I really need to get my content done so I can give distraction to someone else"

So I watch editing livestreams and art livestreams to keep my inspiration and motivation into editing mode.

Do you have any "rituals" or go to sources to help get you into a creative zone if you might not necessarily be "feeling it"?
I usually just spend time with my little girl when IΓÇÖm not feeling the mood to create, but when I suddenly get the urge to get creating, I write down what I want to do, and then create a rough script so I at least know what to talk about in my videos, in fact IΓÇÖve made a list of videos that I want to create, but many of them still donΓÇÖt have a script of some kind, in short, writing down ideas and seeing which ones would be suitable for becoming a video, thatΓÇÖs it from me really.

MytravelMylife

Subscriber Goal
Distraction from continuous work helps to get back in! It can be a nice walk or some other entertainment!

Zita

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
zitachristie.com
Subscriber Goal
I used to procrastinate more when IΓÇÖm editing on a pc because I then tend to over complicated the process, but since I started editing on the iPad, I just try to make it easier for my self and change my target from perfection to deliver. So I listen to my mood if I donΓÇÖt want to do complicated editing then I simplify. Sometimes I edit a 6 min video in 3 days, sometimes in 2 hours. If I wait for perfection I would never post. The key is to accept that itΓÇÖs ok to have ebbs and flow. Doing your hours matters more than quality, because after a while even the crappiest work wouldnΓÇÖt be that bad. My ritual is just to show up/deliver and train my ΓÇ¥editing musclesΓÇ¥ to do the work even I donΓÇÖt feel like editing.:p

• Love
Reactions: kalaspuffar

sampocker

I do have one ridiculous ritual that has helped motivate me when I don't feel like putting in the effort.

Have you ever heard the song "Let's Make A Video" by the YouTuber Poppy?

I just put that thing on full blast and start setting up gear and before I know it I'm always ready to get back to work.

Jonnoi

Recognized Member
Member of the Month
Subscriber Goal

Well I usually watch a few Peter McKinnon and matti haapoja videos because they have good energy that encourage other content creators like myself to push thru how I feel and keep moving forward

Reactions: sampocker

Dmi3Bals

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
The day before I check all the setup of cameras, lightning and check if all the batteries are loaded and so on.

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
Assuming all my Planning is done then...

1) Drink a good litre of Water
2) Go for a 5km Walk at a pretty decent pace to get the blood pumping
3) Put some decent Dance/Trance/House Music on through my headphones while walking - LOUD
4) Shower
5) Brekkie (it's about 12pm now)
6) Set up my Studio - It's set up - but just getting the Booze I need out and the Fruit
7) Film a first take... I always do this, because 9/10 its the only time I'll ever make a mistake. So I just film a 10 min Dummy Run, then by Video 2... I'm BANG in the Zone!! That'll set me up for a good 4-5 hours of filming which will get me 4-8 Videos depending on what style I'm shooting.

8) Drink the Cocktails I've made, then generally forget about the mess I've left the studio until the next morning... ;):joy::joy:

Reactions: Zita

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
For me it going to a coffee shop to do some writing. Then let those ideas sit until they "tear a hole" through my brain to get out into the real world. From there it's just shooting, editing and color correcting/grading until the video is complete. Since I'l only documenting the journey as an online fishing tackle shop owner and adventurer, what you see is what you get.

Reactions: Mario So

Mario So

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Not really a ritual but I like to do some house chores and watch some videos of creators while doing it. This pumps and motivates me. Also got a pet a month ago, so playing with her helps me too! ;)

Reactions: Zita and Damon

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
Hi again.

I forgot about my filming rituals. First of all, I turn on all the lights in the studio, set up the recording program, and prepare examples. Usually, I've done the work, so I already know the subject to speak frankly about it. I start the recording; then, I do some vocal exercises, things I learned when I sang in the choir. When I feel centered and ready, I start, sometimes when I'm not focused, the intro will take 3-4 times before I get into the rhythm. Then I record all the content and start over if I get something wrong during the speaking. It's unusual but at least 3-4 hiccups per video.

Lastly, I usually screw up the outro a couple of times, which makes the editing process a bit irritating, but that is my usual recording workflow.

Best regards
Daniel