• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review Should I stick to my niche even if there are multiple channels similar to mine?

omarortiz

User name: omarortiz
Title of thread: Should I stick to my niche even if there are multiple channels similar to mine?
Self review: I mostly do photo and video editing tutorials. I'm not a native English speaker so I am still practicing how to speak in front of the camera and in doing voice overs. Also, I don;t know if I should stick to only one type of tutorial either photo editing or video editing but I like to do both. I'm still trying to figure out my target audience. And I don't want to copy other tutorial videos out there.
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiH4HeB7Ic2Kggdm6W9lh7A/
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/28941/

Reactions: Juls

Watermelonkidssg

Hi, I personally think the contents on youtube are more or less the same from every YouTuber, the niche here is how you present your own style and stand out from the rest. Because every one man's meat might be another's poison so every individual have different liking so you never know whether you will the 'cup of tea' for them.

Zita

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
zitachristie.com
Subscriber Goal
The more people on your niche means that it's a popular niche and it's easier to navigate, because you can just pick your ideas from everywhere then add your own twist to it. You don't need to reinvent the wheel. Later I think, when you already have your substantial following then you can invent as many wheel as you want.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

bornunicorn

Just add your flair and uniqueness. I always feel like this, a million people can say the same thing, but I usually only want to listen to one person, and that is the person I like and can relate to. Be relatable and be yourself

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hello @omarortiz

So I checked out your channel and I have a few ideas you can consider if that's OK.

First, your banner. It's a very nice looking banner. But I think it could use a bit more text. I would suggest adding some more text like what your channel is about (Photo and Video Tutorials, Photography, Etc). Also maybe consider adding a schedule on it, like say "I upload every Monday" or something like that. I would also suggest removing your social media links from the banner. The one thing you don't want is to give viewers a reason to leave your channel and YouTube likes channels that try to keep viewers on the site as long as possible. I would suggest adding a link to the subscribe button to give viewers another way to subscribe. leave the social media links for your video and the descriptions.

The next thing I would suggest is creating playlists and adding them to your main page. You have a lot of content and your main page is very empty. Use that space to lean your viewers towards more of your content. I don't see any problem with creating content for both video and photo editing. More often than not the average person interested in one is likely to be interested in both. I know I am as a YouTuber myself. Use the playlists to keep them separated. You can even create series and maybe upload twice a week with one day for video editing and the other for photo editing.

Your intro is really good, well made. Props for that. The only other thing I personally would suggest is to make the videos in your own voice. While you say English is not your native language you seem to speak it very well. I saw one of your previous videos with you talking on camera and you did fantastic. That website you use is pretty cool but maybe consider not using it at all. Give yourself a reason to practice your speeches more by doing the videos in your own voice. Also, you may wanna consider moving the subscribe part of your video more towards the center of the video. The first 30 seconds of a video are the most crucial as this is where viewers tend to decide whether to keep watching or clicking away. It took nearly a minute and a half to get to the content of your last video because of the intro, the subscribe request and the text to voice ad. This could end up affecting your watchtime and clickthroughs. Just a thought.

I hope this helps. These are just my opinions and are not meant to be insulting in any way. Good luck.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I think if your passionate about the subject you should absolutely stick to it. Your best content will usually be content you love. My advice is to try and look for gaps in the subject. Find something someone isnt covering that people want to know and dive into it!

Last edited:

TheHappyKidShow

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
It looks nice, but the intro is long. I think you should keep up with touching on both video and photo tutorials if you have a passion for both. You should brand yourself here and really make a mark with your personality. If you're more open with who you are, it will help with viewers to connect. Otherwise, I feel we're just watching another tutorial video... which is good for content. Definitely look for developing your brand and I think the rest of the pieces will come together.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I wouldn't worry too much about what others are doing, and keep doing what YOU are passionate about. We are all individuals and if you come at this from your own perspective, you'll be your own person, and you won't look like you're "Copying" other establised channels in your niche. If you have a passion for a niche, stick with it regardless of what others are doing. You can bring YOUR style and make it your own.

As for your thumbnails, you're relying too much on stock photos and models. Based on your display picture, you're a fine looking gentleman, not that looks should matter on YouTube, but you should definitely use yourself in your thumbnails more instead of some beauty model or stock model. And to be real... a lot of your thumbnails that don't include you, give me the impression of re-uploaded "stolen" content.
I watched some of your video and this definitely isn't the case, so to help your thumbnails more, I'd include you IN the thumbnail as well, over the main thumbnail. Any thumbnail I've seen that includes you, I feel is the best to stick with.

Also your banner doesn't say anything about what you do. It's clearly evident from your thumbnails that you're into photography and editing, so I'd keep the typography, but I'd include you in the banner, and some elements that touch on what you do (cameras, things like that) maybe look at Roberto Blakes tutorial thumbnails for ideas. And I'd add a short breif "Value proposition" in the banner... what you do, how often you publish/day/time you publish.

You already have 2k subs so you're on the right start, I'd just focus on letting YOU shine more.

What kind of CTR are you getting on your thumbnails?

ProjectGirlBoss

TubeBuddy Legend
You should stick to your niche if it is content you enjoy making. Yes there might be similar videos out there but they will never have your same voice, viewpoint and experience. Its you who will make it different.

Juls

Subscriber Goal
I think you should stick to it, if that's your passion. It doesn't matter how many people are doing the same thing.. Your uniqueness will make you stand out from the crowd... Just be yourself and continue to do what you do in the best possible way...