• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Here's The Truth: Your Content Just Might Suck But ThereΓÇÖs Still Hope

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I know a lot of people may not like to hear this and I know it may come off too blunt and insulting. But there is a chance your content simply sucks. Now, this is not to say you should just stop making videos and delete your channel. Not at all. While YouTube may not be for everyone, growing a channel is about more than just creating content you like. Let me explain.

As a gamer, my channel is based around gaming content. Mainly gameplay. So in essence my audience is viewers interested in not only watching gameplay of videogames I like to play but also viewers who find my style and character entertaining. But in order for me to grow my channel I need to understand my potential audience and for that I have to look at my videos from their perspective. In other words, I need to become the audience.

First, let's see what kind of viewer I am. My current YouTube subscription list revolves around multiple kinds of interest. I enjoy tech, gaming, restoration, cooking, and science. So some of the channels I follow, like MKBHD, Erasable Ninja, Binging With Babish, and The King Of Random to name a few, are the kinds of channels that have the kind of content I want to see. But there is more to it than just that. There is also the element of how the content is created. I, personally, enjoy content that is made somewhat professionally. I canΓÇÖt watch content that is made with poor lighting, low resolution or the audio is just unbearably annoying to listen to. Also, take into account that I have to enjoy the person in the video. MKB is entertaining, funny. Erasable Ninja is amazing even though he rarely talks. Babish is just pure gold with his jokes and style of explaining the recipe and TKOR hosts make science fun with their goofy, down to Earth, relatable personalities.

With that in mind I have to consider, if I wonΓÇÖt watch the content due to these issues then why would I make content in this fashion? I need to engage the audience. I need to make sure they know IΓÇÖm there and that I am talking to them. I need them to feel like they are part of my content, involved in my creation, and are the ones whom IΓÇÖm doing this for. But I canΓÇÖt do that by simply turning on a camera, doing weird angles, allowing background noises to overtake my commentary, and just randomly cutting in or out of the video without at least a simple intro or outro. And letΓÇÖs be honest, if you saw content, like a Fast And Furious movie, that sounded like yours, with weird music fadeouts and sudden music intro that doesnΓÇÖt make sense, youΓÇÖd stop watching it too. So take that into account when making content. These days most video editing programs, PC or mobile, allow you to fade music in and out, provide transitions for video clips, and even include some small effects that can enhance the experience without the need to have a degree in filmmaking. You have the tools, learn to use them, read the instructions, watch video tutorials. Make the effort.

If youΓÇÖre not likely to watch content that is as bad quality as yours why would you expect others to watch your content? Now, IΓÇÖm not telling you to go spend thousands of dollars on new equipment and software. I am telling you to do your homework, research, learn how to use what you have, and make the best damn content you can with it. WhatΓÇÖs the point of having all this tech, all this software and tons and tons of tutorials online to help you learn how to use it all to the maximum if you think all you have to do is hit the record button, say a few things that are on your mind and expect the world to somehow believe you were exactly what everyone was looking for this whole time?

The truth sometimes hurts, but as Rafiki from the Lion King said, you can either run from it or learn from it.

dennynj122002

Subscriber Goal
I know a lot of people may not like to hear this and I know it may come off too blunt and insulting. But there is a chance your content simply sucks. Now, this is not to say you should just stop making videos and delete your channel. Not at all. While YouTube may not be for everyone, growing a channel is about more than just creating content you like. Let me explain.

As a gamer, my channel is based around gaming content. Mainly gameplay. So in essence my audience is viewers interested in not only watching gameplay of videogames I like to play but also viewers who find my style and character entertaining. But in order for me to grow my channel I need to understand my potential audience and for that I have to look at my videos from their perspective. In other words, I need to become the audience.

First, let's see what kind of viewer I am. My current YouTube subscription list revolves around multiple kinds of interest. I enjoy tech, gaming, restoration, cooking, and science. So some of the channels I follow, like MKBHD, Erasable Ninja, Binging With Babish, and The King Of Random to name a few, are the kinds of channels that have the kind of content I want to see. But there is more to it than just that. There is also the element of how the content is created. I, personally, enjoy content that is made somewhat professionally. I canΓÇÖt watch content that is made with poor lighting, low resolution or the audio is just unbearably annoying to listen to. Also, take into account that I have to enjoy the person in the video. MKB is entertaining, funny. Erasable Ninja is amazing even though he rarely talks. Babish is just pure gold with his jokes and style of explaining the recipe and TKOR hosts make science fun with their goofy, down to Earth, relatable personalities.

With that in mind I have to consider, if I wonΓÇÖt watch the content due to these issues then why would I make content in this fashion? I need to engage the audience. I need to make sure they know IΓÇÖm there and that I am talking to them. I need them to feel like they are part of my content, involved in my creation, and are the ones whom IΓÇÖm doing this for. But I canΓÇÖt do that by simply turning on a camera, doing weird angles, allowing background noises to overtake my commentary, and just randomly cutting in or out of the video without at least a simple intro or outro. And letΓÇÖs be honest, if you saw content, like a Fast And Furious movie, that sounded like yours, with weird music fadeouts and sudden music intro that doesnΓÇÖt make sense, youΓÇÖd stop watching it too. So take that into account when making content. These days most video editing programs, PC or mobile, allow you to fade music in and out, provide transitions for video clips, and even include some small effects that can enhance the experience without the need to have a degree in filmmaking. You have the tools, learn to use them, read the instructions, watch video tutorials. Make the effort.

If youΓÇÖre not likely to watch content that is as bad quality as yours why would you expect others to watch your content? Now, IΓÇÖm not telling you to go spend thousands of dollars on new equipment and software. I am telling you to do your homework, research, learn how to use what you have, and make the best damn content you can with it. WhatΓÇÖs the point of having all this tech, all this software and tons and tons of tutorials online to help you learn how to use it all to the maximum if you think all you have to do is hit the record button, say a few things that are on your mind and expect the world to somehow believe you were exactly what everyone was looking for this whole time?

The truth sometimes hurts, but as Rafiki from the Lion King said, you can either run from it or learn from it.
the truth is Alway Hurt But You Let Us Know where is Hurt Must watch out, or get hurt again

Reactions: BraveStar

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Yeah I got a lot of improvements to do myself, my content isnΓÇÖt the worst but it certainly ainΓÇÖt the best BY FAR! I had a wireless mic which seems to have grown legs, so I need that, my lighting is ok although it could be better, but itΓÇÖs acceptable, but recording with my iPhone can have its ups and downs, so far the downs are mainly the auto focus, sometimes it goes dumb and just focuses on the fly that goes past, sometimes it goes all blurry for some unknown reason, but this is also why we make the videos, not just for creating but to get better at it too!

ASMRSadie

ASMR Sadie
Subscriber Goal

I agree IΓÇÖm always trying to improve my videos. I know I have a ways to go before IΓÇÖm able to post top quality content. But I do try reading articles, watching tutorials and applying what IΓÇÖve learned.

Still room for improvement but I can see as time goes on little by little IΓÇÖm getting better. Thanks for sharing this!

Reviews By You

TubeBuddy Legend
Good points and fairly raised, I've tried looking at the content from others I enjoy but it's so eclectic that it's difficult for me to pin down what "style" I like.

GardenGal

Excellent advice all around -- thank you Brave Starr! Since I decided to start up my channel again (after literally years of not posting a single video), I kind of surf YouTube and check out people's various styles. Not to mention camera angles, fades, and all that kind of stuff. ;) The channels I sub to do have at least a reasonable camera (phones are OK) and decent lighting - doesn't have to be studio-quality. When I watch videos, I take note of they ones I quit watching a minute into it -- why did I quit watching? And I make note of the ones I watch to the very end -- why was it so compelling?

It's not about copying another person's video or even style. It's all about you doing the best you can, with the equipment you have available. It's about engaging with your audience and creating your own style, with your own personality.

OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Yeah I got a lot of improvements to do myself, my content isnΓÇÖt the worst but it certainly ainΓÇÖt the best BY FAR! I had a wireless mic which seems to have grown legs, so I need that, my lighting is ok although it could be better, but itΓÇÖs acceptable, but recording with my iPhone can have its ups and downs, so far the downs are mainly the auto focus, sometimes it goes dumb and just focuses on the fly that goes past, sometimes it goes all blurry for some unknown reason, but this is also why we make the videos, not just for creating but to get better at it too!

Hope you're following Dee Nimmin. He's a pro at mobile content creating. He might have videos that can help and you can try asking him on Twitter. He often responds with helpful tips.

I agree IΓÇÖm always trying to improve my videos. I know I have a ways to go before IΓÇÖm able to post top quality content. But I do try reading articles, watching tutorials and applying what IΓÇÖve learned.

Still room for improvement but I can see as time goes on little by little IΓÇÖm getting better. Thanks for sharing this!

The key is to know you can do better and try different things to see what works. Don't be afraid to try new stuff. The best part of being a small content creator is that you can experiment without the fear of losing a lot of followers because you don't have that many to begin with so its ok. Trial and error is the best way to find what works best for your content. That includes your editing styles, graphics and transitions. The music, the type of content, camera angles and more.

Good points and fairly raised, I've tried looking at the content from others I enjoy but it's so eclectic that it's difficult for me to pin down what "style" I like.

Be yourself. Do what you do best and work with that. Jacksepticeye is goofy by nature, Phillip Defranco is comical and straightforward by nature. Etc. etc. Don't try to imitate, try to learn and apply to yourself. I'm a bit of a goofball so that will be part of my style.

Excellent advice all around -- thank you Brave Starr! Since I decided to start up my channel again (after literally years of not posting a single video), I kind of surf YouTube and check out people's various styles. Not to mention camera angles, fades, and all that kind of stuff. ;) The channels I sub to do have at least a reasonable camera (phones are OK) and decent lighting - doesn't have to be studio-quality. When I watch videos, I take note of they ones I quit watching a minute into it -- why did I quit watching? And I make note of the ones I watch to the very end -- why was it so compelling?

It's not about copying another person's video or even style. It's all about you doing the best you can, with the equipment you have available. It's about engaging with your audience and creating your own style, with your own personality.

I'm glad I could help. It's good to acknowledge one has a lot to learn. It's the best way to improve one's channel.

• Love
Reactions: ASMRSadie

ASMRSadie

ASMR Sadie
Subscriber Goal
The key is to know you can do better and try different things to see what works. Don't be afraid to try new stuff. The best part of being a small content creator is that you can experiment without the fear of losing a lot of followers because you don't have that many to begin with so its ok. Trial and error is the best way to find what works best for your content. That includes your editing styles, graphics and transitions. The music, the type of content, camera angles and more.
I couldn't agree more! Its all about finding and exploring what works for you without fear of losing your audience. I imagine throughout the years I lost some subscribers by trying new things but over time I got better at my techniques and gained even more.

TheHappyKidShow

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Yes. Totally agree with this. I look forward to feedback and I want to improve. I know a lot of feedback can be subjective, but I'm willing to learn and apply what works.