• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question YT Memberships and TubeBuddy

Core Freedom

Recognized Member
This may be a silly question since I don't know what the YT Memberships area looks like for a creator. Does TubeBuddy work inside the memberships area? More specifically I want to know if I can use a pre-launch video feature where I first make a video available to members only and then at a set date the video becomes automatically available for the public. Is this possible? Also, is it possible to have playlists inside the membership area and all the other TubeBuddy features?

Reactions: Prajagading

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
Membership area? Is there a tier where you get an area dedicated to your members? I have some members-only videos but I just put them on a playlist top center of my front page if anyone wants to become a member they will get some extra insights. That's not what we talk about I gather?

OP
OP
Core Freedom

Core Freedom

Recognized Member
Youtube Membership is the "join" button that allows people to pay a monthly membership to get additional perks the YT creator is offering. I chatted with YT yesterday and there is no option to place videos inside that area in a playlist. You can, however, create posts for members only and you can also create badges and provide videos that are not available to the public and leave them for members only. Or you can give them "early preview" to videos, before anyone else, and then make the videos public after x-days. Monthly membership fees can vary and is up to the creator, who gets 70% of the membership fee, YT gets the rest.

Reviews By You

TubeBuddy Legend
Youtube Membership is the "join" button that allows people to pay a monthly membership to get additional perks the YT creator is offering. I chatted with YT yesterday and there is no option to place videos inside that area in a playlist. You can, however, create posts for members only and you can also create badges and provide videos that are not available to the public and leave them for members only. Or you can give them "early preview" to videos, before anyone else, and then make the videos public after x-days. Monthly membership fees can vary and is up to the creator, who gets 70% of the membership fee, YT gets the rest.

I wonder what the figures are on how many people pay for that service.?

OP
OP
Core Freedom

Core Freedom

Recognized Member
I was trying to figure that out as well, ReviewsByYou. I asked YouTube as well but they said this was not public information. There may be some ways of finding out but it's tedious. From the research I did, each channel begins by being able to offer 4 badges. The more members a creator has, the more badges they can unlock. So to find an average number of members that pay, one would have to click on the "join" button and see how many badges they are offering. Badges are also tied to length of time a member has been a paying member of the community. You can read up on that here. Community members who comments on the public side of Youtube will be clearly marked with a badge next to their name/comment.

Membership prices vary as well. They go from 99 cents to 99 dollars (US), see here. I've clicked around some and find rates anywhere from $5 to $40. Haven't found any smaller or larger amounts but I'm sure they're out there.

Also, what someone wants to offer in their "behind the scenes" area is also up to them, with some restrictions. Remember, "join" is a fairly new tool for YouTube and I wonder if it has to do with them not wanting people to use Patreon but rather keep people inside YouTube.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
it was originally restricted to channels with 30k subscribers, but I'm noticing some channels with 10k or less have access to memberships, and some of them are in this very forum, so I'll see what they have to say. I haven't had the chance to play around and experiment with it yet unfortunatly.

OP
OP
Core Freedom

Core Freedom

Recognized Member
Those channels with lower subs that have the "join" button are gaming channels, from what I understand. Originally the "join" button was only available to those channels. Many of the features, including "early preview videos" are still in beta, according to the person I chatted with from Youtube. I'm figuring out my "levels" and what I want to charge. If of interest, I can post more about my experience here.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I got in somehow... a travel channel with 3,700 subs (I got 3 members ha ha).
Right now you can mark a vid as member only, but not schedule it to go public. They say they are working on adding that. It is a much requested feature. I always schedule all my vids and now if I mark them for members I have to remember to go back and make them public on the right day. A bit of a hassle. I was going to give members early access, but the YT system is too clunky right now. So I schedule them and then add the members email address to an authorized viewer list (a regular option for Private vids).

The video privacy setting is still done on the regular video edit page, so there is no extra TubeBuddy functionality specifically for the member area.

Reactions: Core Freedom

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
Great work @Tito Tim .

I have members enabled and have about 10 videos for members only. I had a member one month some time back but I see it as a totally optional feature for my subscribers. Haven't really pushed it either, might talk about it in the future though when I will do more live streams. I think the added bonus of emotes and badges shines more during live streams.

Reactions: Core Freedom
OP
OP
Core Freedom

Core Freedom

Recognized Member
I ...I have to remember to go back and make them public on the right day. A bit of a hassle...so there is no extra TubeBuddy functionality specifically for the member area.

Maybe TubeBuddy can take note and expand the service to include the member area? I would love too to place a video in the "members only area" for a week or so, and then have the video automatically become available to the public, by means of a TubeBuddy feature (hint, hint). :p

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I think the added bonus of emotes and badges shines more during live streams.
I need to try some live streams. Being 8,000 miles from most of my subs makes scheduling... problematic. But I think the member badges in the chat would be its own selling point :)

Maybe TubeBuddy can take note and expand the service to include the member area? I would love too to place a video in the "members only area" for a week or so, and then have the video automatically become available to the public, by means of a TubeBuddy feature (hint, hint). :p
I would love to see a scheduling feature for member vids, I schedule all my vids and may have 6 or 10 uploaded in advance. Either YouTube or TubeBuddy... but I hope someone does it. (YT says they are 'planning on it')

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
That's why we have a Feature Request section ;)