• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Violence and Gore Policy Clarification

DMT

wordjams.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi, all. I will be posting my first video of original zombie fiction in the next few days. I have searched Google relentlessly over the last couple of days, and I cannot find a clear answer to my question. My videos will basically be audio tracks with some YT appropriate graphics used for video. There is no foul language. However, it is zombie fiction. A zombie or two must get blasted from time to time. If one of my videos tells a story in which a character shoots and kills a zombie, will that video not count toward watch hours (for future monetization purposes)? Is YT that strict on this policy, or does it apply to mostly real-life stuff? Thanks.

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
Hi @DMT

All watch hours should count, but you might not have all advertisers allowing their add on your video. Then again there is a lot of advertisers that accept milder violence to be associated with their brand so you could always monetize your videos.

I hope this helps.
Best regards
Daniel

Reactions: CBSE ENGLISH
OP
OP
DMT

DMT

wordjams.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi @DMT

All watch hours should count, but you might not have all advertisers allowing their add on your video. Then again there is a lot of advertisers that accept milder violence to be associated with their brand so you could always monetize your videos.

I hope this helps.
Best regards
Daniel

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know it worked like that. I thought a video was either monetized or it got demonetized completely. Good to know.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi, all. I will be posting my first video of original zombie fiction in the next few days. I have searched Google relentlessly over the last couple of days, and I cannot find a clear answer to my question. My videos will basically be audio tracks with some YT appropriate graphics used for video. There is no foul language. However, it is zombie fiction. A zombie or two must get blasted from time to time. If one of my videos tells a story in which a character shoots and kills a zombie, will that video not count toward watch hours (for future monetization purposes)? Is YT that strict on this policy, or does it apply to mostly real-life stuff? Thanks.
The watch time hours will count overall, but if the video is age restricted, the video won't count towards monetisation.

They do have policies over violence and gore, but if it's fictional (as yours would be) it would depend on the context and how much gore there is.

They have an article here and you can put your best judgement as to how to rate it https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9194476?hl=en (go to the section under "violence")

There's also this article and video https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2802008?hl=en but this applies to real life violence and gore.

there's also another article (not on youtube's site) relating to the "easing" of "simulated violence" in video games, which I'd think your question falls under.

At the end of the day, use your best judgement. Worst comes to worst, they'll age restrict it and it won't be monetisable.

OP
OP
DMT

DMT

wordjams.com
Subscriber Goal
The watch time hours will count overall, but if the video is age restricted, the video won't count towards monetisation.

They do have policies over violence and gore, but if it's fictional (as yours would be) it would depend on the context and how much gore there is.

They have an article here and you can put your best judgement as to how to rate it https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9194476?hl=en (go to the section under "violence")

There's also this article and video https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2802008?hl=en but this applies to real life violence and gore.

there's also another article (not on youtube's site) relating to the "easing" of "simulated violence" in video games, which I'd think your question falls under.

At the end of the day, use your best judgement. Worst comes to worst, they'll age restrict it and it won't be monetisable.
Thanks. This helps a lot.