• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Other Selling printed oil paintings vs selling the original

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hi all, I run a channel that is all about oil paintings and painting related stuff, I did a video talking about people buying from well known artists vs the unknown, and itΓÇÖs got me thinking, instead of just selling my original paintings, which is quite highly realistic, would it be better to just sell prints of my work, or set up a merch through my channel with pictures of my work on them, IΓÇÖd be interested in your opinions on this (IΓÇÖm at a crossroads situation where IΓÇÖm still deciding which way to go), anyways, all thoughts and opinions are welcome.

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
From a business point of view why not both? You would obviously have different price points. Depends also on supply and demand. People's wants and needs.
I just checked out your channel and this particular video (gave you a thumbs up and left a message) I think you should not be so assumptive of people's preferences or disparaging of you and your work -you are so talented and detailed.
To be honest some people may not prefer the landscape background but rather your car paintings coming to think of it the few might wish to pay more.
How about targeting, for example, pilots or flyers/racers for commissions they may be a possible market and may be able to afford them
You mentioned that a particular painting took you a year ....would it be possible to do paint the original in a shorter time sell the original for a higher price and then sell the prints possibly as a series and /or limited editions 20 or so . This would make them more desirable and unique?.
The important thing is you are really so good at what you do if you get the business strategy right you will be on a winner.

OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
From a business point of view why not both? You would obviously have different price points. Depends also on supply and demand. People's wants and needs.
I just checked out your channel and this particular video (gave you a thumbs up and left a message) I think you should not be so assumptive of people's preferences or disparaging of you and your work -you are so talented and detailed.
To be honest some people may not prefer the landscape background but rather your car paintings coming to think of it the few might wish to pay more.
How about targeting, for example, pilots or flyers/racers for commissions they may be a possible market and may be able to afford them
You mentioned that a particular painting took you a year ....would it be possible to do paint the original in a shorter time sell the original for a higher price and then sell the prints possibly as a series and /or limited editions 20 or so . This would make them more desirable and unique?.
The important thing is you are really so good at what you do if you get the business strategy right you will be on a winner.
Hey there, nice inspirational message, and although I couldnΓÇÖt find the like and comment on whichever video, but IΓÇÖll find it, anyways as you saw, my art talent is quite rare as not a lot of artists do what I do, none so far have done the cockpit of an airliner, so IΓÇÖve got the talent part, but the business strategy would definitely need some fine polishing, I have subscribed to a couple of big pilot YouTubers, wouldnΓÇÖt hurt to hit them up huh, never know my opportunities, maybe even particular car fans like BMW people or Porsche fans, some people would probably like a landscape background of some sort, but then again those can be found almost anywhere, I think the car paintings would be a hit, IΓÇÖm gonna do more homework into this, I have a feeling I could be onto something.

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Oh dear, Apologies I may not have pressed the comment button :confused: Please let me check !!!!!
. Done now though. Best in all your endeavors.
The message is inspirational but its the truth, the paintings talk for themselves :)

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi all, I run a channel that is all about oil paintings and painting related stuff, I did a video talking about people buying from well known artists vs the unknown, and itΓÇÖs got me thinking, instead of just selling my original paintings, which is quite highly realistic, would it be better to just sell prints of my work, or set up a merch through my channel with pictures of my work on them, IΓÇÖd be interested in your opinions on this (IΓÇÖm at a crossroads situation where IΓÇÖm still deciding which way to go), anyways, all thoughts and opinions are welcome.
I very, VERY rarely ever sell originals. If I sell originals, its because it's client or commission work. Any of my original art I keep, and I sell prints, but I'm not as active in selling my prints as I should be.

I have a background in graphic design as well, so I'm always thinking about ways to make merch. Stickers are a fun lowprice way to sell art, and t-shirts are always nice.

Original paintings are always going to net you more profits (far more than YouTube adsense I would think) but they're also pretty limiting because of the price, which is why merch is sooo valuble for artists.

Take a look at "Kitslam art" he isn't that active on YouTube anymore, but he does a lot of print sales (as well as originals) on Etsy, as with a lot of art streamers. Definitely go for it.

OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I very, VERY rarely ever sell originals. If I sell originals, its because it's client or commission work. Any of my original art I keep, and I sell prints, but I'm not as active in selling my prints as I should be.

I have a background in graphic design as well, so I'm always thinking about ways to make merch. Stickers are a fun lowprice way to sell art, and t-shirts are always nice.

Original paintings are always going to net you more profits (far more than YouTube adsense I would think) but they're also pretty limiting because of the price, which is why merch is sooo valuble for artists.

Take a look at "Kitslam art" he isn't that active on YouTube anymore, but he does a lot of print sales (as well as originals) on Etsy, as with a lot of art streamers. Definitely go for it.
Hey there, yeah IΓÇÖve been doing a bit of research into this whole merch thing, even toying around with ideas, originals will be near impossible to move especially at what IΓÇÖd be asking for mine, so IΓÇÖve had to come up with another way to sell my work, and seeing how YouTube allows creators to sell customized merch, just gave me a few ideas to brainstorm and play around with, not quite done yet but now getting somewhere, and IΓÇÖll be sure to check out Kitslam Art.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I feel like limited works of art can have more value so I'd always go for selling originals or limited prints over mass selling. I can see the benefits to selling in mass though.

laurenproctor

laurenproctor32.com
Subscriber Goal
Gosh. It's hard to say which way to go. Is it possible to try both and see what catches on? For example, you might use prints to get wider circulation and then charge more for originals.

As a customer, I'd say 10 years ago I would have only been able to afford your prints. Now as I start to see the value of art, I would buy an original. So maybe part of your strategy would be to see who you want to court and speak to as a customer?