• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Question Concern weighted vs unweighted keyword search results

John Funk

Hello friends.
I am getting ready to do a video for my youtube channel. I would like to name it something like ' Learning By Reading Fiction '.
I did an unweighted search and it told me the phrase was very good. However , when I did the weighted search , specific to my channel , it told me it was a poor decision.
I'm not sure what else I could do to make the title rank in search. This is a case with my channel because many of the issues I am covering in literature have already been covered.
How can I more well understand this issue ?? I am going to go ahead and make the video because it's important to me , but I'm not sure if there is a way I can title it to make it more likely to find success. I only have 2.28 thousand subscribers right now , just to let you know.
Any information that can help me to understand this issue is greatly appreciated.

Its Jonny Keeley

I have a similar feeling. I don't really want a keyword planner to tell me whether a video is going to be successful or not because I know that it's basically bs.

I have found it to be pretty all over the place, a video of mine the wasn't great in the planner is ranking really well another that was 'very good' isn't ranking at all.

I think the best thing to do is use it as a guide for the potential of the video. Search volume is my favourite metric that it spits out.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I have a similar feeling. I don't really want a keyword planner to tell me whether a video is going to be successful or not because I know that it's basically bs.

I have found it to be pretty all over the place, a video of mine the wasn't great in the planner is ranking really well another that was 'very good' isn't ranking at all.

I think the best thing to do is use it as a guide for the potential of the video. Search volume is my favourite metric that it spits out.

It's giving you probability that's all it's calculating. There are clear barrier to entry the way YT works so if you can't get the barrier to entry requirement it's not a good one to go after NOW that doesn't mean always, we just recommend something more specific.

As you said it's a guide, it's up to YOU as the creator to know the confidence you have in YOUR content. We just give you the data, and sometimes it works, but sometimes it might be the content.

Sometimes you could be getting impressions meaning YOU ARE showing up in search, but your CTR might be low, and that's the thumbnail not the tool.

It's understanding what it is saying and how to use.

We have a WHOLE video series on keyword explorer. It REALLY dives deep into this too.

Reactions: Oliver & Liz

Its Jonny Keeley

It's giving you probability that's all it's calculating. There are clear barrier to entry the way YT works so if you can't get the barrier to entry requirement it's not a good one to go after NOW that doesn't mean always, we just recommend something more specific.

As you said it's a guide, it's up to YOU as the creator to know the confidence you have in YOUR content. We just give you the data, and sometimes it works, but sometimes it might be the content.

Sometimes you could be getting impressions meaning YOU ARE showing up in search, but your CTR might be low, and that's the thumbnail not the tool.

We have a WHOLE video series on keyword explorer. It REALLY dives deep into this too.

Good stuff. I totally get it, it's been a super useful tool.

When I say the videos aren't ranking, I'm just going by the search results checker tool.

I think my CTR is pretty low (but going up), my thumbnails probably aren't perfect but they aren't bad either.

I'm only at around 20 videos, so I've got plenty of work to do.

DeviantKC

Subscriber Goal

Hi Andrew,

I am a small channel with 28 subscribers and around 500 views. Does this tool's weighted section give me correct analysis as the sample space for my channel itself is very low. So in this case would it be better if i put my channel up with keywords that have generic high search scores so that it atleast shows up in those searches? Please let me know as i have already tried optimising the keywords based on generic value and i wanna know if i should reconsider or let it stay the same.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi Andrew,

I am a small channel with 28 subscribers and around 500 views. Does this tool's weighted section give me correct analysis as the sample space for my channel itself is very low. So in this case would it be better if i put my channel up with keywords that have generic high search scores so that it atleast shows up in those searches? Please let me know as i have already tried optimising the keywords based on generic value and i wanna know if i should reconsider or let it stay the same.

You need to build authority and look for terms that are easier to rank for, but also target the keyword you care about. The more you have the more your channel can grow, and the more broad you can reach with your topics. You have to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run :)

When I say the videos aren't ranking, I'm just going by the search results checker tool.

I guess the thing to keep in mind it can take time to rank, and sometimes you can rank later. CTR REALLY plays a big part because YouTube is looking for safe reliable content that performs compared to new content they haven't had as much data on.

TrendingTenz

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hello guys, I'm really happy I found this thread because I'm having the same issue! I did look into the keyword explore YouTube video. After uploading over 30 videos on my page over the last half year, I've decided to pay for the pro version, and I'm having an extremely difficult time with the weighted vs non-weighted keyword search (as seen in this thread). The title I wanted to use is "Top 10 most expensive abandoned cars found" (100% unweighted; 13% weighed) but I'm thinking is it because I already have over 30 videos on my YouTube page which gives it a poor mark? I'm trying to find other words, but there are no options on the right side (like it shows in the YouTube keyword video tubebuddies made).

I do acknowledge I need to crawl before walking then running. but im having trouble moving forward with the crawling right now.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you

Wes

Subscriber Goal
Hi I also am having...frustrations with the Keyword explorer. I have a Pro membership for several months now but I do not have a large channel. Only 97 subs at the moment. I've watched the YouTube vid for keyword explorer more than once but I can't help but feel like I still don't fully understand. I feel like I do not have enough subs for the weighted score to matter. I am guessing, because it isn't really explained, that the weighted score bases potential from the subs that you currently have and how likely they would watch based on these keywords? If so...well I am grateful for the 97, but that is so few that maybe I should use unweighted until I grow more? I just dont understand it. Is weighted looking at my current posted videos and ranking against them? Is it looking at what my subscribers are watching and ranking it based on that? Why exactly should, or should I not be looking at weighted scores? The video says it shows how well it scores on "my channel" but I don't know how it gets that info. My growth has been nonexistent even though I get good - very good scores with my titles. I know I'm still learning but I think I have only grown like 10 subs since starting with tubebuddy over roughly 5 months maybe?