• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Thumbnail Feedback 2 new designs for an old thumbnail. Which one do you prefer?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
So this video is about 2-3 years old now, has had about 3% click through rate from aboput 100k+ impressions, so I don't think I fully got the idea of the video out in the original thumb. It'a too wordy, focuses TOO much on my brand I think, and taks away from the story of the thumb visually. It's meant to be an artwor of two differant spinosaurus's battling. The one to the right is the old version from Jurassic Park 3 when there were very few fossils found to show how it actually looked.
The one on the left, is the NEW version, re-constructed after 2018/19 when new fossils were discovered that showed the leg bone, more spine bones, and gave a much better indication of how it looked.

I've been receiving complaints about my old depiction being "wrong" so this video was a satirical statement that there's lot's of arguments over the old and new spinosaurus, so I drew both of them fighting each other.

Evidently the story wasn't sold and people weren't as interested as they "should" have been. My spinosaurus videos tend to perform a lot better than this one, so this thumbnail obviously missed the mark.

SPINO BATTLE.jpg

I've made two versions. Derral Eves did a video recently about thumbnails and the importance of using eye catching elements and colour. so I've experimented with using colour as a concept for "good" vs "bad".

The NEW spinosaurus to the left, you can see a lot more of it's quadpedal stance in the water, which is how it looks scientifically. So this is the "GOOD" design, the "correct" verion,m so it's in green.

The OLD spinosaurus, from Jurassic Park 3 is outdated. It's "BAD" because it's "Incorrect" and "Wrong" so it's red.

I'm not entirely sure if I like the colour outlines, but it's an experiment I want to try and play around with.

SPINO BATTLE 2020 GREEN RED.jpg

This one is the same concept, just not using green and red, and going with a less stated yellow outline which might look better shrunk down.
The problem is I can't A/B test both comparing them to the original. So I'm going to have to A/B test them individually in seperate periods.

SPINO BATTLE 2020.jpg

So with all that context explained. Which one do you think will capture the most attention?

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I am telling my personal opinion ..how I felt and what I saw immediately

Firstly, I did not read any of your content written because I don't want my mind to assume what the pic is saying. I straight away went to the pic. Undoubtedly the coloring to the outline brings difference . Much Much better I felt.
I understood that one is an old one and other is a new one & one is killing the other.

Maybe it's my problem that I did not understand which one is good and which one is bad. I assumed that the good is killing bad & old is bad and new is good . I then saw the title .. NEW vs OLD. So, left is new & right is old. Now, I started to think, is new good or bad ?

Then, my mind went deep into it's algorithm. Yes! Left (new) is bad (why did my mind say so ?) because I used to watch Disney Characters.. Bad characters are Purple/violet with Green Backgrounds . So, Left one is decided. Then, I saw the right one .. it's red .. seems like bad too. Maybe two bad ones in which old bad is killing new bad ??

I then went up and read the description and understood which one is good and which one is bad.

Coming back to the main question ...Which one do you prefer .. The one with colorful outline.

Just a suggestion : If you can edit post by putting the picture first and then adding description about it (which one is good and which one is bad), then maybe you will get actual reviews.

Keeping this aside , Really like the thumbnail :)

OP
OP
Beanie Draws

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I am telling my personal opinion ..how I felt and what I saw immediately

Firstly, I did not read any of your content written because I don't want my mind to assume what the pic is saying. I straight away went to the pic. Undoubtedly the coloring to the outline brings difference . Much Much better I felt.
I understood that one is an old one and other is a new one & one is killing the other.

Maybe it's my problem that I did not understand which one is good and which one is bad. I assumed that the good is killing bad & old is bad and new is good . I then saw the title .. NEW vs OLD. So, left is new & right is old. Now, I started to think, is new good or bad ?

Then, my mind went deep into it's algorithm. Yes! Left (new) is bad (why did my mind say so ?) because I used to watch Disney Characters.. Bad characters are Purple/violet with Green Backgrounds . So, Left one is decided. Then, I saw the right one .. it's red .. seems like bad too. Maybe two bad ones in which old bad is killing new bad ??

I then went up and read the description and understood which one is good and which one is bad.

Coming back to the main question ...Which one do you prefer .. The one with colorful outline.

Just a suggestion : If you can edit post by putting the picture first and then adding description about it (which one is good and which one is bad), then maybe you will get actual reviews.

Keeping this aside , Really like the thumbnail :)
I love this! This is a super fantastic reply because I'm now aiming for being able to explain exactly what my thumbnails are about without using any explination so thank you for your first impressions without reading :) I'm glad the messege mostly got through without needing to explain them :)

I like the yellow line because it's "simpler" but I've been told that bold colours draws the eye so it's not what I'd go for, but might be better in terms of CTR and such, which is why I'm experimenting with it :)

Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama

MR TECH YT

Subscriber Goal
The second one for sure, when I am watching youtube videos, I tend to click on the thumbnails that are more mysterious with no text even if I am not interested in that subject. So the second one of your thumbnails is the one that's more appealing plus the outlines really stands out