• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Research I did an experiment using hidden videos and end cards. Have you done anything like that?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I did an experiment a week or so ago. The plan was to make my speed drawing link to a full length tutorial in the end card, however, I didn't have that video ready, because I didn't want to "cannibalise" it analytically, so instead I made a "Full Tutorial Coming Soon" thumbnail instead, for a whole new video, so that it wouldn't just be an empty spot that no one could click right away. Instead I made a "secret" video that was never set to public, and I linked it in the end card, not even mentioning it, to 1, see if anyone WOULD click on it, and 2, to see how many would make it to the end of the video to SEE the end card, and THEN click the video.

The video is no longer linked in the end card, so there's no way to find the video unless you've already seen it and bookmarked it, the link now takes you to the full tutorial video.

But I did find it VERY interesting to see just how many people clicked that video at the very end, not actually known what they were in for, and the comments that came as a result.

It's fun to do little experiments like that.
Have ya'll done any experiments like that, or your own experiments in the past?

Screenshot (7069).png

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I did an experiment a week or so ago. The plan was to make my speed drawing link to a full length tutorial in the end card, however, I didn't have that video ready, because I didn't want to "cannibalise" it analytically, so instead I made a "Full Tutorial Coming Soon" thumbnail instead, for a whole new video, so that it wouldn't just be an empty spot that no one could click right away. Instead I made a "secret" video that was never set to public, and I linked it in the end card, not even mentioning it, to 1, see if anyone WOULD click on it, and 2, to see how many would make it to the end of the video to SEE the end card, and THEN click the video.

The video is no longer linked in the end card, so there's no way to find the video unless you've already seen it and bookmarked it, the link now takes you to the full tutorial video.

But I did find it VERY interesting to see just how many people clicked that video at the very end, not actually known what they were in for, and the comments that came as a result.

It's fun to do little experiments like that.
Have ya'll done any experiments like that, or your own experiments in the past?

View attachment 6130
On my 2 newest videos IΓÇÖve placed questions or something randomly throughout, I then prompt the viewers at the end of the video to put in the comments the answers to questions or what they saw, itΓÇÖs a fun way to engage and another way to see who was paying attention, and for a channel of my size it worked quite well, but did show who actually makes it to the end, itΓÇÖs another fun little experiment.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I love the experiment @Beanie that's really cool. It's fun playing with stuff like that.

We do a giveaway at the end of our fishing season every year and we make a treasure hunt out of it. Viewers gotta go through our videos collecting clues that had been hidden for months, all trying to find the one answer that needs to be typed into the comments lol. It's fun. And same thing; we like to play with YouTube features. The first year the final clue was hidden in the captions. last year it was hidden in the background of a 360 degree video (so they had to actually look around for the clue).

If you are having fun with it your audience will too, that's all part of the game!