• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Attractive Thumbnail

SHALINI TAHILIANI

By creating attractive thumbnail you can showcase your video in a better way. Also it says more about your content. This is also well known fact that image says a lot itself. So put your creativity to make such a thumbnail which really talk about your vedios. In other words it is a reflection, which says about the story which you are planning to share.

Reactions: olittleboy

Hobbyartycrafty

TubeBuddy User
Hi Shalini,

Yes thumbnails are mostly useful in converting impression into clicks , I had a video with lots of impressions but no clicks because of thumbnails.

Thanks

Reactions: emmsUtubers

Yoni Arousement

TubeBuddy User
The trouble I have with creating thumbnails is portraying what's actually in the videos, while keeping the text and character closeups large enough so that if one were to browse YouTube on their mobile device or whatnot, they would know what the videos are about.

Dmi3Bals

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I like the channels (and form mine like this) that have a stylish thumbnails, not each other different. I believe the other people think the same, so thumbnails design and management should be handed carefully!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
By creating attractive thumbnail you can showcase your video in a better way. Also it says more about your content. This is also well known fact that image says a lot itself. So put your creativity to make such a thumbnail which really talk about your vedios. In other words it is a reflection, which says about the story which you are planning to share.

While I agree. Sometimes what you think is an attractive thumbnail doesn't work with an audience and vice versa. Keep in mind your audience will tell you the thumbnails they like in your analytics :)

skrach

Subscriber Goal
@Its Jonny Keeley. Off topic, but curious as to why you edit in 1080p? I very recently got a 4k camera but haven't edited my first video with it, yet. Is there an advantage to keeping 1080?

olittleboy

I shoot all my content in 4K even though I edit to 1080p. I do this so I can frame grab a a sharp hi res thumbnail from my video.
i agree! me too 4k saves me big time ans id super sharp for thumbnail !!!

i put some time smore time in my thumbnails then actually my video lol is crazy how important it is!

Reactions: Its Jonny Keeley

skrach

Subscriber Goal
@olittleboy this still doesn't answer my question. I understand why you guys use 4k thumbnails, but why don't you produce videos in 4k. This is in fact a real question from a new 4k camera owner that hasn't used it in post production yet.

Its Jonny Keeley

@olittleboy this still doesn't answer my question. I understand why you guys use 4k thumbnails, but why don't you produce videos in 4k. This is in fact a real question from a new 4k camera owner that hasn't used it in post production yet.

Workflow. Editing 4k with tones of layers and animations is too much for my computer considering no one will really watch fullscreen 4K.

Most people watch YT videos in the small player window so 1080p is plenty.

Priorities for me in order. Video subject, My delivery in video, thumbnail, edit, video audio, video lighting, video resolution.

• Love
Reactions: dennynj122002

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
While I agree. Sometimes what you think is an attractive thumbnail doesn't work with an audience and vice versa. Keep in mind your audience will tell you the thumbnails they like in your analytics :)
Oh boy do I know this one from experience.
We as creators are biased, we always think what we are creating is amazing, and sometimes it isn't
On the flipside, thumbnails that I think look horrible, have performed surprisingly well. So it's definitely the audience that decides. Interestingly enough it also defys my graphic design learnings. What works well for YouTube, isn't what is always taught in graphic design school. I'd say it's more like discount brochures. Discount brochures (I used to work in marketing for a discount store) go against good design practices and tend to go for impact, rather than beauty, and that impact sells. I've noticed impactful "ugly" (in my opinion) thumbnails tend to get the click. It's really about testing what works, learning for the right target audience and media source... a tabloid celebrity magazine is designed differantly to a wedding magazine, just like what works for packaging of a pack of chips, is differant to what works for the packaging of perfume.

From a graphic design standpoint it's very interesting. YouTube and custom thumbnails came out AFTER I finished my graphic design course, so what I learned for traditional print media and packaging, didn't work the same way for thumbnails.

@Its Jonny Keeley. Off topic, but curious as to why you edit in 1080p? I very recently got a 4k camera but haven't edited my first video with it, yet. Is there an advantage to keeping 1080?
Shooting in 4k, but editing for 1080p generally means you have double the pixel quality to work with. If I'm filming in 1080p, and I want to zoom in, on 1080p footage, that footage is going to get blurrier or pixelated (I do this all the time in my own videos) but when you film in 4k, if you're working to a 1080p frame, using 4k means when it's shrunk to 1080p, there's more pixels to condense down meaning the quality will be better, but also, if you zoom in on 4k, the quality won't degrade as much because it has double the amount of pixels to work with (I've studied this extensively over the years)

my drawing app "films" in 4k, so I generally edit it in 4k. on my 1080p screen I don't notice any quality differance, but if I had a 4k screen, and I was editing to a 4k frame using 4k footage, if I zoom in, it's still going to pixelate slightly as zooming expands out those pixels.

Hope that makes sense :)

• Love
Reactions: dennynj122002

dennynj122002

Subscriber Goal
Workflow. Editing 4k with tones of layers and animations is too much for my computer considering no one will really watch fullscreen 4K.

Most people watch YT videos in the small player window so 1080p is plenty.

Priorities for me in order. Video subject, My delivery in video, thumbnail, edit, video audio, video lighting, video resolution.
Im Agreed With You,Most People watch On Phone or small devices .I See on My Channel 70% Their watch On Phone

Reactions: Its Jonny Keeley