• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Can I advertise a product in a video without permission of the company making the product?

pineknotpineknot

For example I would like to make a 30 minute long video on how to catch bass and then in the middle of the video have 30 seconds of footage of me advertising in my own words a Shimano fishing pole. I would then put an amazon affiliate link to buy the fishing pole down in the comments under the video. I would not charge Shimano for this advertisement or even ask for their permission to place the advertisement in my video. Is this a violation of google or youtube policies? Thanks in advance for your help.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
This is not a violation of any rules, you are absolutely allowed to provide feedbak on products that you use and this is a fantastic way of guiding viewers to your affiliate links. Make sure you disclose that they are affiliate links in the video, not doing so is a violation.

And although I'm a Penn guy I gotta commend you on picking Shimano, you got good taste!

Reactions: lifererouted

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've moved this thread to YouTube Questions as this isn't a TubeBuddy related question :)
Pretty sure as long as you use your own footage, you're allowed to promote other companies as much as you want. Keep in mind though, if you do it "too much" you may have to start putting in disclosures in your videos, to comply with FTC regulations, BUT if you have no relationship with the company and just want to promote them, in that case I'd say make a disclosure that you have NO affiliation with the company and just want to share your love.

It sometimes gets to a point where if you have no relationship with a company outside of appreciation, they will actually appreciate when you disclose having no affiliation or ties. Because sometimes companies need to point out they have no links with some creators when they get start getting linked with certain creators, and people start assuming/accusing companies of sponsoring videos that they actually have no links with. THAT is where I think mindfulness comes in.

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖm a fan of those Nestle coffee packs, and frequently play around with them in my intros, but I never show the logo or name, I donΓÇÖt have any affiliation with anyone or anything and no links to anywhere, would I still need to disclose during the upload procedure if I am to make a quick mentioning that this kind of coffee is what I like on camera, while showing the name and logo?

Gunjit

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Recommending the product is one thing and advertising is one thing. If you are just recommending it then its all good

Reactions: Ikerot

Kids Fun

TubeBuddy Pro
It is good to recommend a product. As was said you are not advertising it, just recommending it. Sounds good to me! :blush:

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
Hey, something I know a little about.

You can absolutely review a product or service. Using the products name is NOT a violation of copyright law and is broadly considered fair use (link is US-specific, but many countries have similar use rules). It doesn't matter if your review is positive or negative. As long as it is an honest representation you are typically fine.

Depending on the country you are in, if you make money from an affiliate link for that same product, or if you were paid to show that product in your video, you must provide a disclaimer. Since you never know exactly what jurisdiction a viewer/purchaser may be in, it is wise to always use a disclaimer.

Here is Amazon's description. Note, this is the US version based on FTC rules, but many countries have similar rules.

Reactions: lifererouted

leroygaming

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖm a fan of those Nestle coffee packs, and frequently play around with them in my intros, but I never show the logo or name, I donΓÇÖt have any affiliation with anyone or anything and no links to anywhere, would I still need to disclose during the upload procedure if I am to make a quick mentioning that this kind of coffee is what I like on camera, while showing the name and logo?

If you provide a link to said product, then I highly recommend putting a disclaimer as a precaution.

---

Sample Disclaimer:

Code:
DISCLOSURE OF MATERIAL CONNECTION:

You should assume the owner of this website has an affiliate relationship or another material connection, to any suppliers of goods and services that may appear here, and may have compensation for showing ads or recommending products or services or linking to the supplierΓÇÖs website.

You can use this template as you wish. You can modify it as you wish.

Last edited:

Fact Ghonto

You do not need any permission to advertise a product in your video... but make sure put a disclaimer in the description part...