• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Two different languages in single channel

excelrati

TubeBuddy Pro
Hi there

I'm new here and would really appreciate your advice.

I have a Youtube channel named "Excelrati" where I'm sharing my knowledge on how to use Microsoft Excel in a more efficient and enjoyable way.

When I started it ~1.5 years ago, the main target population was Arabic speakers, so all videos where in Arabic.
Soon enough, my work colleagues in a multinational IT enterprise, started asking me to create videos also in English. So I did and gained a lot of views and subscribers as a result.
Now for every topic I'm publishing, I try my best to publish 2 videos, one in English and one in Arabic.
These are 2 completely different videos, filmed and produced twice. In other words, I'm not using translated captions.
This helps me optimize each video separately.

In order to make it easier for each audience to distinct between the videos of languages, I did the following:
1) Thumbnails: Videos in Arabic have a green background thumbnail, while the English ones have an orange background (Examples attached)
Table Slicer English .jpg
New Window.jpg

2) Playlists: I created separate playlists for English and Arabic videos.
In "common" areas, like the About section, I put both languages.

Is this a correct strategy and is it sustainable in the long term?

I'm always wondering whether I should 2 separate channels instead where I target each language separately.
One one hand, such move decrease my number of subscribers and make the 1000 subs milestone even more far...
But on the other hand, it seems that the more I delay this, the more it will be difficult to do in the future.

Thanks a million for your time and advice

Last edited by a moderator:

kitchen c/o ammama

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I totally get your point because more or less I am also doing the same but not the same video twice.

Like , In cooking

South Indian basic cooking Style is very different from North Indian basic Cooking Style
(For Indians : yes yes I know , all states have their own style .. just not going in detail )

So, my Grandma Traditional Recipes are in Telugu and the extremely basic ones are done is English so that other states can understand the simple basic recipes of my State. I distinguish both by the thumbnail.

I am also really waiting for some advice on your question.

Floris Food

Good food,great life.
Subscriber Goal
I'm recoring in my own language , Wich is dutch. But i have Subbed my Videos in English.. That i write myself.
Creates that little more clarity for those who doesnt speak dutch. Every little bits help!

OP
OP
excelrati

excelrati

TubeBuddy Pro
I'm recoring in my own language , Wich is dutch. But i have Subbed my Videos in English.. That i write myself.
Creates that little more clarity for those who doesnt speak dutch. Every little bits help!
Thanks a million for the reply.
I think your scenario is a bit different.
To my understanding, it seems to me you are targeting a single audience of Dutch speakers. I don't think you expect non Dutch speakers to watch them.

In my case I'm targeting two completely different audiences and I need both to watch

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi there

I'm new here and would really appreciate your advice.

I have a Youtube channel named "Excelrati" where I'm sharing my knowledge on how to use Microsoft Excel in a more efficient and enjoyable way.

When I started it ~1.5 years ago, the main target population was Arabic speakers, so all videos where in Arabic.
Soon enough, my work colleagues in a multinational IT enterprise, started asking me to create videos also in English. So I did and gained a lot of views and subscribers as a result.
Now for every topic I'm publishing, I try my best to publish 2 videos, one in English and one in Arabic.
These are 2 completely different videos, filmed and produced twice. In other words, I'm not using translated captions.
This helps me optimize each video separately.

In order to make it easier for each audience to distinct between the videos of languages, I did the following:
1) Thumbnails: Videos in Arabic have a green background thumbnail, while the English ones have an orange background (Examples attached)
View attachment 6083View attachment 6084
2) Playlists: I created separate playlists for English and Arabic videos.
In "common" areas, like the About section, I put both languages.

Is this a correct strategy and is it sustainable in the long term?

I'm always wondering whether I should 2 separate channels instead where I target each language separately.
One one hand, such move decrease my number of subscribers and make the 1000 subs milestone even more far...
But on the other hand, it seems that the more I delay this, the more it will be difficult to do in the future.

Thanks a million for your time and advice

Long term it's hard. Because if I speak only one language the other one isn't as important to me. It also splits your time. I'd see which videos are peforming better and focus there, and or offer captions options in both.

The thing is you're splitting your audience and anytime that happens it's not good, because if I only watch the English content I'm only watching 50% of your content, where as if I'm watching ALL of another channel that only offers one language it's harder. If you want to do both? Consider another channel, other wise I'd say it's not bad, but I don't think it's sustainable long term.

Floris Food

Good food,great life.
Subscriber Goal
Thanks a million for the reply.
I think your scenario is a bit different.
To my understanding, it seems to me you are targeting a single audience of Dutch speakers. I don't think you expect non Dutch speakers to watch them.

In my case I'm targeting two completely different audiences and I need both to watch
I actually are. But thats alright. English isnt my native language, altho i can speak it. Its just easier this way.( and i have english people watch my videos, as wel as greek people ( thats where the subs are for)

Reactions: excelrati

follow9na

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Long term it's hard. Because if I speak only one language the other one isn't as important to me. It also splits your time. I'd see which videos are peforming better and focus there, and or offer captions options in both.

The thing is you're splitting your audience and anytime that happens it's not good, because if I only watch the English content I'm only watching 50% of your content, where as if I'm watching ALL of another channel that only offers one language it's harder. If you want to do both? Consider another channel, other wise I'd say it's not bad, but I don't think it's sustainable long term.
oh thats a great perspective

OP
OP
excelrati

excelrati

TubeBuddy Pro
I actually are. But thats alright. English isnt my native language, altho i can speak it. Its just easier this way.( and i have english people watch my videos, as wel as greek people ( thats where the subs are for)
Thanks and good luck with your channel :)

OP
OP
excelrati

excelrati

TubeBuddy Pro

Thanks a million Kevin for your reply.

Since posting this question here, I have also posted same question on digital marketing FB group. And the guys there agreed I should split to 2 channels...

And while discussing there, it struck me!!!
Could it be that my analytics (like CTR) are being harmed because of this segmentation in my audience?
I mean, let's assume this:
- my audience is split 50/50 between the languages...
- I publish a video in Arabic
- Youtube suggests/sends the video to all my subscribers and it doesn't differentiate between the audiences (so it can show it to non-Arabic speakers also - is this correct assumption?)
- even if all the targeted audience clicks the thumbnail, my starting point is a 50% CTR, not 100%!

So all my metrics are cut in half!

Is this a valid scenario?

Rick Ace

Subscriber Goal
Thanks a million Kevin for your reply.

Since posting this question here, I have also posted same question on digital marketing FB group. And the guys there agreed I should split to 2 channels...

And while discussing there, it struck me!!!
Could it be that my analytics (like CTR) are being harmed because of this segmentation in my audience?
I mean, let's assume this:
- my audience is split 50/50 between the languages...
- I publish a video in Arabic
- Youtube suggests/sends the video to all my subscribers and it doesn't differentiate between the audiences (so it can show it to non-Arabic speakers also - is this correct assumption?)
- even if all the targeted audience clicks the thumbnail, my starting point is a 50% CTR, not 100%!

So all my metrics are cut in half!

Is this a valid scenario?

I think it does cut your numbers in half. Definitly if you want to continu doing it in both langages, you should start another channel.

Reactions: excelrati

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
My videos are meant to be in Taglish (Tagalog and English combined) and for me, I don't see any problem in the algorithm.