• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question YouTube advertising, how effective is it and should I use it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielHenry

Hi, I run a small channel of just over 2400 subscribers and I'm wondering how effective using YouTube campaigns to draw more people to my channel would be. omegle xender

I'm not talking about the fully fledged pre-roll adverts that many people find quite irritating, but the small box adverts that come up to the right of a video. I try my best to make my channel look as professional as possible, today I am trying to add some more playlists for the collection of music featured on the channel and to maybe switch up my channel art. After it looks better I'm thinking of purchasing some YouTube campaigns, not a lot of money at first, just 5 or 10 pounds, and then I'm going to build it up from there. Since I have a lot of money left over, I'm wondering if this would be a good investment? My end goal would be to put about 50 pounds a month for a few months into YouTube campaigns, but I'm worried about the negative effects it could have on the channel. Would there be people that would find this sort of promotion "cheating" or "annoying"? I'm hoping that giving my channel that more professional look, since it uses my channel logo as an audio visualiser in its videos, will give it a more commercial feel anyway. With the channel looking more professional to an outsider could this increase the chances of these campaigns working? Also, if anyone has any pointers about how I can improve my channel page before I go about doing this, any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Think of it this way, if YouTube has this feature available for eligible creators to use, why would it be considered cheating? If I pay an advertising company to promote my work for example, would I be ΓÇ£cheatingΓÇ¥, or just simply using the tools available for use? If the tools are there, use them, and those that do call it cheating are probably jealous or something, but no matter what, use the tools, IΓÇÖm using whatever I can to get my channel up and running, good luck to your success.

Ps, IΓÇÖm no expert when it comes to what a channel should look like, but I do suggest checking out Nick Nimmins videos, some good stuff in their regarding channel development.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Think of it this way, if YouTube has this feature available for eligible creators to use, why would it be considered cheating? If I pay an advertising company to promote my work for example, would I be ΓÇ£cheatingΓÇ¥, or just simply using the tools available for use? If the tools are there, use them, and those that do call it cheating are probably jealous or something, but no matter what, use the tools, IΓÇÖm using whatever I can to get my channel up and running, good luck to your success.

Ps, IΓÇÖm no expert when it comes to what a channel should look like, but I do suggest checking out Nick Nimmins videos, some good stuff in their regarding channel development.

So this is correct YouTube has advertising as a feature it's not bad to use it.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that advertising is BEST used if you're trying to sell something. IF you're just promoting a normal video it won't perform as well afterwards DUE TO the fact that organic traffic on YouTube is MORE important than paid traffic. YT knows it's paid traffic so keep that in mind. That's not to say it can't stay doing well, but that depends where the ad was served, who watched it, and if it was a natural fit for your audience.

I say unless you understand how to use it fully and all the pros and cons I'd focus on creating better content then running a video as an ad. Ads cost money and could hurt your video if you don't know how to use them effectively.

Reactions: kitchen c/o ammama

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
So this is correct YouTube has advertising as a feature it's not bad to use it.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that advertising is BEST used if you're trying to sell something. IF you're just promoting a normal video it won't perform as well afterwards DUE TO the fact that organic traffic on YouTube is MORE important than paid traffic. YT knows it's paid traffic so keep that in mind. That's not to say it can't stay doing well, but that depends where the ad was served, who watched it, and if it was a natural fit for your audience.

I say unless you understand how to use it fully and all the pros and cons I'd focus on creating better content then running a video as an ad. Ads cost money and could hurt your video if you don't know how to use them effectively.
Oh yes that a good point, actually that reminds me of a Facebook boost I did a little while ago, they were nice enough to give me a coupon, so I used it, effectively paying for advertising my content, it somewhat worked in the sense that I reached 1000s of people that would be interested in stuff that I do, however I found it really isnΓÇÖt effective and basically generated maybe 1 or 2 subscribers from that, but hey I wasnΓÇÖt clued up on this whole creator gig, like you say, itΓÇÖs the content that will ultimately promote itself, and thatΓÇÖs what IΓÇÖve been focusing on.

Last edited:

crocoyes6

On top of that, Google claims that people who watch YouTube ads to completion are 23 times more likely to visit or subscribe to a brand channel, share a brand video, or watch more by the brand. Even those who don't watch to the end are 10 times more likely to do one of those things.

Gunjit

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
According to me google ads is not a great way to promote your video. Yes, It surely gets you some views but it dosen't get you engagement or subscribers.

isabellone

YouTube is one of the best options for creating a cost-effective advertising campaign: Average CPV: $0.026. Average view rate: 31.9% Average view CTR: 0.514%

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I see this thread has been re-booted, but the most recent post might give confusing information to people who are curious, and this IS a question that gets raised often, because purchasing subs is against YouTube terms of service, BUT there's no terms of service rule about purchase ads it seems, which can lead people into false hope that ads can boost their subscribers, when the vast majority of people considering it, have no idea how ads work, and those suggesting ads tend to be those trying to sell their own services.

Roberto Blake recently did a stream with tubebuddy
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgc0vNvPrqI&ab_channel=TubeBuddy

Roberto goes into more depth about the topic 35:18 - Advertising to gain subscribers and 1:10:19 - Question: Would you consider running ads for a channel?

Quick answer is that he has frequently used ads to promote SERVICES, but not his channel itself, and he warns against doing so.

To avoid this thread getting bumped further in order to push people into thinking it's a good idea, I'll lock this thread. We have lots of other recent threads too covering the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.