• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question How do you emotionally handle loss of subscribers

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Mainly for us smaller players, you get excited that youΓÇÖve reached your subscriber goal, but then come back at a later date to find that number dropped, how would you handle that? Would you go on a rant fest and vent your frustrations all over the different platforms, or would you have your little emotional moment, get over yourself, and get onto the analytics and see where things are going wrong (which is what I did)? Just wanting to know how youΓÇÖd handle it, nothing more.

The Belove Show

Mainly for us smaller players, you get excited that youΓÇÖve reached your subscriber goal, but then come back at a later date to find that number dropped, how would you handle that? Would you go on a rant fest and vent your frustrations all over the different platforms, or would you have your little emotional moment, get over yourself, and get onto the analytics and see where things are going wrong (which is what I did)? Just wanting to know how youΓÇÖd handle it, nothing more.
I have personally gone through this. It hurts so bad, I think you should pay more attention to your subscribers. Try to connect with them in the comment section. And simply Put out more videos, Good videos. Who knows things will turn around.

Bliksemcraft plays

TubeBuddy User
It is sad to lose even 1 subscriber, but more will come

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I was there once, but I didn't pay much attention to it, just like on Twitter, I lost a handful of followers, but at the end of the day, some of those are bots, or some of them lose interest. Just keep pushing out content and more will come. You should see how many subscribers Nick Nimmin has lost over the years, yet he's at 600k+
I've lost a few thousand subscribers, but I'm happy to have 26k. I was too busy making videos to pay attention to unsubscribed. The only thing I've really paid attention to are the comments.

Reactions: Dmi3Bals

Matloob

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Dont worry its ups and down process ...it happens in every business

OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I was there once, but I didn't pay much attention to it, just like on Twitter, I lost a handful of followers, but at the end of the day, some of those are bots, or some of them lose interest. Just keep pushing out content and more will come. You should see how many subscribers Nick Nimmin has lost over the years, yet he's at 600k+
I've lost a few thousand subscribers, but I'm happy to have 26k. I was too busy making videos to pay attention to unsubscribed. The only thing I've really paid attention to are the comments.
Without a doubt, thatΓÇÖs what I kept doing, just pumping out content and putting it on my channel, it is a little disheartening to see but like you said, the bigger players have lost much more, as the good ole saying says: you win some you lose some, I know for a fact I ainΓÇÖt gonna keep all my subs, but the ones I lose pretty much go unnoticed anyway, just too busy working on my content to give a ****, and besides, the ones that bail on us werenΓÇÖt even interested in what we have to offer anyways, theyΓÇÖre just bots or sub for sub clowns that ran away after realizing IΓÇÖm not a sub for sub loser, anyway I just try to gauge what everyone does and how they handle troubles and the downfalls of being a creator.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Numbers go up and down, I rarely pay attention to sub numbers. I am much more concerned with view numbers and retention.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
This is an excellent question. Use this experience as a means of 'practicing' mental preparedness for the hurdles that will come. Believe me, the loss of a few subscribers (even daily) is 1. all part of the game and 2. not even CLOSE to the most stressful and depressing things you are going to face. YouTube is awesome, but it comes with it's pitfalls and you need to be ready for them. Imagine what other creators felt like when they were recently hit by the adpocalypse or the COPPA rulings.

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
I don't think I've ever thought about subscribers unsubscribing. That is just life, and you change your mind often.

I'm more alerted by videos without any comments. Does that mean that they didn't inspire, or did I not explain the topic well enough, or was the topic uninteresting?

Reactions: Ikerot

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
Look at it this way, you have done the best you can by uploading good content, you have entertained, educated, and informed them for a while. You have also interacted and engaged if possible.
They have changed their minds or habits, interests. That's their prerogative.

Don't take it personally as that person came along another will also.

It reminds me ......on another social platform whenever I announced I had a number of followers to celebrate and thank them before I practically finish the text someone would unsubscribe for the sake of it, so I always ensure I have extra followers.
The moral of the story is some people unsubscribe simply cos they can.
Not always to do with you. Just keep on persevering:oops::)

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Dmi3Bals

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
You should more focus on the things you can control. For example, actions and minds of other people's you can't control, so they can subscribe and unsubscribe. It is their decision. But what you can control - make a high quality content. Put your energy in that.

A Scot Living Abroad

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Having a low number, I do tend to notice if someone has unsubscribed, it doesn't bother me that much though and always happen when I gain the number and then increase.

OP
OP
DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Wow nice to see some good replies, and donΓÇÖt worry the tissue box kept itΓÇÖs tissues, ok I got a little bit piffed, but I went straight to the analytics to see where things are going south, and I found it, and am fixing it, like someone said, we canΓÇÖt control the subscriber numbers, people one people go, but just to focus on what we can control, making better and better content, ok my editing skills could do with a slightly tune up, but IΓÇÖm getting there, oh and I purchased a wireless mic for better audio quality, and IΓÇÖm getting my lighting sorted too, haha the cheap stingy way, just turning the ceiling lights towards me lol

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
I think of it as Trolls

Basically, people who are either kicked out, or leave Youtube because there were here to do one thing, and find they cannot do it.

I know people who create profiles regularly, do something, and disappear. Not sure why, or if this is a profitable thing.

Also, you can set a profile to private. So you cannot see them - which I believe also affects the subscriber count. From YouTube's page:

Private: When your subscriptions are set to private, no other users can see what channels you subscribe to. Your account does not show in a channel's Subscribers List, even if you are subscribed.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Honestly, I don't really care. Brutal honesty: If they don't like my content, I don't want them around. Being a musician in a former life and getting booed off stage enough, you develop a thick skin.

Its Jonny Keeley

If a subscriber wasn't interested it would have been worse for them to stay. It's better that they aren't an impression, than an impression that didn't bother watching your video. I would take low subs high engagement over high subs any day. (incidentally I'm quite low engagement on YT but I'm working on it, and I know why.)

Reactions: Damon