• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Are we so "delicate" that we've scared people away from giving real feedback?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Ok so I was just randomly thinking while in another thread about intros. And it lead to a much broader thought process that perhapse YouTube creators, have fostered a culture of being so protective of our creations, that whenever we're met with critisism, we see it as hate and dismiss it, rather than seeing it as a potential for growth.

Do you see it as rude, to suggest someone fix their audio? Do you see it as rude to tell someone that their intro is too long? Do you see it as rude to tell someone they need to get to the point faster?
I think it's safe to say we all think this is rude.

I have been "rude" occasionally, giving "unsolicited feedback" to creators when I wish they did something audio/lighting/pacing wise... and unsuprisingly, those complaints are met with debate, being critisised back etc.

Now I'm not talking about "This video stinks!" or other unhelpful things. But it seems whenever we give advice that wasn't asked for, naturally we're seen as rude. "did I ask for your opinion?" as creators, we're sensitive and protective of our work that we work so hard on.

fast forward to our watch graphs... where we analyse those peaks and falls to see "where did my audience drop off?" "was my intro too long?" so many factors that we're just guessing now, when the answers were always there, being given, and we shruged it off as trolls.

People no longer bother giving feedback to creators when their videos need work, they simply just leave because they don't want to waste their own time. SOMETIMES they'll leave a "video starts at x" comment before leaving. Those falls and hockeysticks show the results of the feedback we're too afraid to receive, so instead of feedback, we just put up a wall, that could otherwise be a door to growth and enlightenment.

What are your thoughts on this? It's just one of those "hot takes" "unpopular opinions" I was thinking about

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I think it's really more about the wording. You can give advice, but don't be rude about it.

Sometimes, I'll do that for small channels, but instead of 'advice', I say 'suggestion'. Whether they take that to heart or not? Not my problem :p

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I work in a field where feedback and constructive criticism is pretty much the best way to improve, so to me it's nothing strange, I really appreciate when I get that type of feedback because then I know that person is really trying to help me and care about me compared to someone just saying "you suck" or "you are great" since I cant do much with that feedback. But from my profession I also learned that some people have a really hard time giving feedback (are afraid to hurt someone) or taking feedback (goes on the defense instead of learning from it) so you need to be careful in they way you give the feedback and you need to accept that sometimes the best thing might be not giving feedback because of the person don't want to hear it or maybe they are just doing something for fun with no intrest or intent to get better at it, they are just enjoying what they do.

I actually remember a thread from this form a year ago or something like that, it was really frustrating because a lot of people tried to help the original poster who asked for help and feedback but no matter the help and feedback people gave (and there where a lot of people really trying hard to help) he kind of refused to listen even though he was asking for help just saying I have already tried everything, what you say don't work, I already know everything and so on.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I actually remember a thread from this form a year ago or something like that, it was really frustrating because a lot of people tried to help the original poster who asked for help and feedback but no matter the help and feedback people gave (and there where a lot of people really trying hard to help) he kind of refused to listen even though he was asking for help just saying I have already tried everything, what you say don't work, I already know everything and so on.

I remember the person(s). In fact it seems we got a several like that about a year ago. Not a single one of them is here anymore, fortunately.

For me if a person doesn't ask for feedback, I generally won't give it. Where I have a problem is when a person is looking for advice and feedback, and, just like you say, they're intent on rejecting it. Such people aren't asking for feedback. They're asking to be coddled.

Here's the thing:

The human brain is a deceptively wicked thing. It constantly tries to convince itself that is has the complete picture. Anything that disrupts or suggests their perception is wrong, it is immediately rejected. This is how airplanes crash many times. The pilot thinks he know what's going on because he's the pilot, despite the instruments and crew suggesting otherwise.

As a musician in a former life, getting on stage for those sole purpose of constructive criticism is the only way I got better as a musician. I took that same experience and applied it when starting on YouTube. Most people have never had that kind of experience in life. They have never been coached or had private lessons where to delve deeply into a craft and perfect it over the course of decades.

Also most people start a YouTube channel for themselves. They're out to build their Utopian world where "Everything is Awesoooooome!"

Turns out their world isn't awesome. In turn they hear, "Everything is stupiiiiiid!" In their minds probably subconsciously you're suggesting they're building a dystopian world instead of a Utopian world. Like any authoritarian regime, they will defend the state at all costs. (NOTE: I make no reference or allusion to anything happening in the U. S. news here of late.)

I know that seems melodramatic, but it's exactly the way people react.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ater and Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Where I have a problem is when a person is looking for advice and feedback, and, just like you say, they're intent on rejecting it. Such people aren't asking for feedback. They're asking to be coddled.
True. I've encountered plenty of those people when I used to review stories. It's understandable for some people to take it personally, consider that it is their work, but honestly? Take a breather and come back to it once you're done being angry xP

• Haha
Reactions: Damon

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
Hi @Beanie Draws

I would accept criticism of my content. Then again, I'm not that bothered by people finding my content lacking as I'm still learning. I've gotten a lot of people pointing out things that are unclear or wrong in the source material as well.

But comments that are about my looks or pure hateful I remove. Not because I care about their opinion, but I don't want to foster a community where harsh words are ok as I want to appeal to everyone that wants to learn. And junior developers might be scared away from the field if they are met with hate.

Best regards
Daniel

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yeah I don't think it is as much an issue of making a suggestion as it is an issue of presentation. Nobody likes hearing the negative, but the best of us realize we need it to improve. And as much as it sucks sometimes hearing that my audio sucks several times over is the motivation I need to invest in better audio equipment.

Taking criticism is tough... like all artists we put our heart on the line when we create content and nobody wants to hear the bad when it comes to that work. But those who take that advice and run with it are the ones who are going to be most successful.

Reviews By You

TubeBuddy Legend
I'm old (50) ;) so as far as I'm concerned there's too many snowflakes, people who need positive validation and have never heard or had to deal with negative comments or outcomes. My son is of the age that means he was amongst the first (in the UK) who received 'medals' for participation at Sports Days and half his homework errors weren't corrected because "we don't want the children to think of failure". All well and good until they're in the real world where failure is common.

Reactions: Damon and Zita

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I know for a fact that my audio sucks at different parts of my videos, simply because of my microphone, which is basically the ear buds that typically come with an iPhone, and because I canΓÇÖt find my wireless mic (knowing me IΓÇÖve lost it haha), so IΓÇÖm stuck with my ear buds with limited length, then thereΓÇÖs my editing skills, which while quite good, can be better, anyways I know for sure I need to improve, and any constructive criticism is welcome, because IΓÇÖll note them and use them for future content.

Issy

Ok so I was just randomly thinking while in another thread about intros. And it lead to a much broader thought process that perhapse YouTube creators, have fostered a culture of being so protective of our creations, that whenever we're met with critisism, we see it as hate and dismiss it, rather than seeing it as a potential for growth.

Do you see it as rude, to suggest someone fix their audio? Do you see it as rude to tell someone that their intro is too long? Do you see it as rude to tell someone they need to get to the point faster?
I think it's safe to say we all think this is rude.

I have been "rude" occasionally, giving "unsolicited feedback" to creators when I wish they did something audio/lighting/pacing wise... and unsuprisingly, those complaints are met with debate, being critisised back etc.

Now I'm not talking about "This video stinks!" or other unhelpful things. But it seems whenever we give advice that wasn't asked for, naturally we're seen as rude. "did I ask for your opinion?" as creators, we're sensitive and protective of our work that we work so hard on.

fast forward to our watch graphs... where we analyse those peaks and falls to see "where did my audience drop off?" "was my intro too long?" so many factors that we're just guessing now, when the answers were always there, being given, and we shruged it off as trolls.

People no longer bother giving feedback to creators when their videos need work, they simply just leave because they don't want to waste their own time. SOMETIMES they'll leave a "video starts at x" comment before leaving. Those falls and hockeysticks show the results of the feedback we're too afraid to receive, so instead of feedback, we just put up a wall, that could otherwise be a door to growth and enlightenment.

What are your thoughts on this? It's just one of those "hot takes" "unpopular opinions" I was thinking about
People don't want to hear the true. Me personally I rather you tell so I can work on it.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm old (50) ;) so as far as I'm concerned there's too many snowflakes, people who need positive validation and have never heard or had to deal with negative comments or outcomes. My son is of the age that means he was amongst the first (in the UK) who received 'medals' for participation at Sports Days and half his homework errors weren't corrected because "we don't want the children to think of failure". All well and good until they're in the real world where failure is common.

Not only that, in the real world failure means people die.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Whenever I try to give someone my opinions when they ask for it I usually start by saying that my opinions are meant to be constructive criticism and nothing more and that they are free to ignore my advice. As for giving it freely, I've noticed the average person always gets offended by criticism or advice that wasn't asked for because in reality they likely don't believe they are doing anything wrong. This is true in life. It's why it's hard to talk to my wife about things that bother me about her. She never listens and gets upset about anything I say.

I personally don't mind criticism. I always look for ways to improve things. I'm hardheaded by nature but I don't mind listening. It's definitely the way people say it that matters. Sadly many don't realize it.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Generally I will not give unsolicited advice. If you ask for advice - be prepared to maybe not like what you hear. The biggest thing I see on channels is not only unsolicited advice, but very rude "advice". More like lazy trolling. If someone just posts, out of the blue, 'intro sucks!!1!!", that is not really helpful. If someone says "I watched 3 of your vids and am getting tired of the long intro", that is constructive. Solicited or not, I would be much more inclined to listen to the 2nd one.

Constructive criticism is not meant to be rude. And if done well, should not be confused with being rude.

I just posted a vid that I know has bad audio. There was way too much wind noise, and I have tried to clean it up. Did not help. In the beginning of the vid I tell them that parts will be bad, but I had fun filming it so I am posting anyway. I turn down the sound and do voiceover for a majority of the vid. Before I let the original audio play, I post a warning. That being said, I know I will get the "audio sucks" comments. And there is a regular commenter that I am sure it will come from ha ha. I just ignore the rude comments (especially his). Much of that just comes from unhappy people, and they are beyond help as long as they do not want help.

Yoni Arousement

TubeBuddy User
These days, I rarely ever receive any sort of actual criticism on modern YouTube. More often than not I would delete generic comments including mere compliments/bashing. There's really no way I would reply to them besides thanking them.

InspirationalbyMarie

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
My mother is a lecturer and she has to give feedback in a 'sandwich approach' to students She told me she gives a positive then the negatives which she calls challenges and then ends it with a positive. She also said that she sometimes puts instructions as questions and hopefully the students take the hint.

Basically it not what you say but how you say it. I tend not to give my opinion unless it's asked for- then I use that method but always being 'politely honest'.

As for me, I don't mind constructive criticism personally I don't take it as an attack against me but rather, I think of the ideas/intent for me to get better at something. There is no point going around the bushes when someone more experienced than me has the answer. Hence I spend time researching and asking questions. I may not agree all the time but I will listen.
As social workers, we are trained to critically self reflect on everything anyway, which actually safeguards people's lives and keeps them safe, so it is no problem for me to accept on Youtube or anywhere else constructive feedback. If I am honest, a lot of times I may ask for feedback I already know the problem.

As for leaving nasty comments on any of my platforms, the answer is No Siree! I had to address this recently and named it as Cyberbullying, the person backed off.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Reviews By You

Reviews By You

TubeBuddy Legend
My mother is a lecturer and she has to give feedback in a 'sandwich approach' to students She told me she gives a positive then the negatives which she calls challenges and then ends it with a positive. She also said that she sometimes puts instructions as questions and hopefully the students take the hint.

Basically it not what you say but how you say it. I tend not to give my opinion unless it's asked for- then I use that method but always being 'politely honest'.

As for me, I don't mind constructive criticism personally I don't take it as an attack against me but rather, I think of the ideas/intent for me to get better at something. There is no point going around the bushes when someone more experienced than me has the answer. Hence I spend time researching and asking questions. I may not agree all the time but I will listen.
As social workers, we are trained to critically self reflect on everything anyway, which actually safeguards people's lives and keeps them safe, so it is no problem for me to accept on Youtube or anywhere else constructive feedback. If I am honest, a lot of times I may ask for feedback I already know the problem.

As for leaving nasty comments on any of my platforms, the answer is No Siree! I had to address this recently and named it as Cyberbullying, the person backed off.

Well said.

The New Gardener

Subscriber Goal
For me, you can only get stronger by improving the weaknesses. I am sometimes to close to see those weaknesses, so feedback and advice, especially the negative stuff, help highlight those weaknesses, so in fact its a possitive if taken in the right way.

I may be new to Youtube but I am also over 50 (i know i dont look it - shucks) so I am from a generation that understands its not personal but a community offering help to get better.