• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Are there any changes to number of required subscribers and watched hours??

Abdelali Taheri

Hello,
People have already started talking about YouTube will be requiring more watched hours for a channel to be accepted for monetizing.
Is there any news yet about this?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I haven't heard any official statements from YouTube about this. And because this isn't a TubeBuddy question, I've moved it to YouTube Discussions.

There's always rumors going about and nothing has come from it, so I would take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Abdelali Taheri

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Interesting, I had not heard of this. Hate to think these seemed like the logical next step for YouTube. People seem to be joining more for the idea of finding a way to make money off simply gaining subs and views regardless if the content is worth watching. I was one who joined YT with the intention of monetizing but I also wanted to create great content. But far too often I see people more concerned with the monetization part and how fast they can get there by any means and not concerned with how good their content is.

• Love
Reactions: Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Interesting, I had not heard of this. Hate to think these seemed like the logical next step for YouTube. People seem to be joining more for the idea of finding a way to make money off simply gaining subs and views regardless if the content is worth watching. I was one who joined YT with the intention of monetizing but I also wanted to create great content. But far too often I see people more concerned with the monetization part and how fast they can get there by any means and not concerned with how good their content is.

Yeah, Brave, that's a concern of mine as well. It's as if they don't care about making good content. It's all money, money, money, views, views, views, subs, subs, subs.

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
There has not been any official source that has alluded to this. It doesn't mean it won't happen. If sponsors complain, or if someone finds a way to game the system, we might see a change.

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
There are always rumors going on with YouTube. You can't act on rumors but what you can do is to make sure that whatever the future has in hold your channel is in the best possible position to handle it. You do that by:
Always follow their guidelines and rules.
Always try to make your next video better than your previous one.
Create quality content.
Try to learn new stuff and improve your skills.
Interact with your viewers and build a relationship with them, comments, community etc.
Work on your SEO skills to improve the chances of your content to be found.
Improve your thumbnails so more people will click them.
Hard work and dedication.
Be patient.
Be consistent.

If you keep doing the things above your should be in good standings with YouTube and any advertisers, you should have a channel with a lot of quality content, you should have a channel that steadily grow in both subscribers, views and watch time. And if any changes happen you should be in your best possible situation to handle does changes.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I heard one source a few months back mention a change and I haven't seen any evidence of this. I had a chat with Doug Hewson YT is usually pretty on top of even the rumors, and we came up with a good point that IF these rumors are being made into videos or whatever, it's usually for attention/views/clout.

Also, back in the time of PewDiePie's beginning there was NO monetization. People make videos simply because they wanted to. Not because they wanted money.

Welcome to Gaming

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I heard one source a few months back mention a change and I haven't seen any evidence of this. I had a chat with Doug Hewson YT is usually pretty on top of even the rumors, and we came up with a good point that IF these rumors are being made into videos or whatever, it's usually for attention/views/clout.

Also, back in the time of PewDiePie's beginning there was NO monetization. People make videos simply because they wanted to. Not because they wanted money.
What a change the site has seen. I work in education and most kids say they want to be a YouTuber. It used to be kids wanted to be a singer or a football player :joy:

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com

Not to take this thread in another path, but the PDP fact is not true. He was making money when he started his channel - We all were . Partner program started in Dec 2007 because Blip.TV was rev-sharing on their video site and YouTube didn't want to loose creators to this.

Back then, it wasn't minimum requirements that got you in. It was by recommendation. And let me tell you - when I got partner status on my channel, the spam email asking me to recommend their channel didn't stop. It was somewhat annoying.

PDP was also part of Blip. Blip was bought out by Maker - a Disney property. Of course, we all know what happened with PDP and Maker ended partnership.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
What a change the site has seen. I work in education and most kids say they want to be a YouTuber. It used to be kids wanted to be a singer or a football player :joy:
I kinda miss the old days. It was the wild west, but back then no one did it for the money, it was basically for views and attention... which I guess is still bad, thus why there was so much clickbait and malicious behaviour going on that we wouldn't find out about until years later... but there wasn't as much desperation for 1k subs. The chase for subscribers wasn't as desperate and people were more creative and worried less. Times change I suppose.