• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Who gets monetized for this video? Help me understand

Core Freedom

Recognized Member
I'm gearing up to put my guided visualizations and hypnotherapy affirmations on my channel and came across quite a few channels that have millions of views to these types of videos that are not theirs. Who gets monetized? Here is an example:

Channel name: Be Inspired, 6.63 million subscribers
Music for this video is from meditation is from Audiojungle
They link to the voice-over talent, which is clearly someone else and not the channel owner
The video is 28 minutes long and has nearly 11 million views in 2 years

Who gets to monetize the above video? 1. Audiojungle, 2. the voice-over, 3. the person who wrote the script and probably holds the intellectual property rights to the video, 4. or the Be Inspired who simply places the video on their channel? I checked SocialBlade for Be Inspired and they say the channel has $0 income. I know that's just an estimate, but with nearly 7 million subscribers I find it a bit odd to have $0 income, unless they are using other people's videos to just get subscribers to click on links inside their description.

I'm asking because I create my own meditation music (through hired composer) and write my own scripts, I'm also the voice-over. I wouldn't mind if people took my meditation videos and placed them on their channel, as long as I'm the one to monetize for their views.

Would love your feedback from experience. :)

Last edited:

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It depends on if Audiojungle is royalty free or not. If it's royalty free, some music providers have licences that are basically a membership you pay, which lets you use their music within their terms of service, and there are some music providers that provide this music for free. The issue there is you have to trust the music provider owns all the copyright and rights to their music when you use it, because sometimes samples are copyrighted, and people have been caught out thinking music was royalty free when another copyright owner owned a drum sample used IN a "royalty free" song.

That said, if the music isn't royalty free and the person is using the copyright music without permission, the original creator of the music keeps the music.

I'm not sure how scripts etc work, but generally all copyright claimed videos revenue goes to the music lable.

If they have 6 million subscribers, there's a good chance that they have rights to use the royalty free music or are paying a licence to use it.

Reactions: Core Freedom
OP
OP
Core Freedom

Core Freedom

Recognized Member
I'm assuming with a channel of that size that they do have the license to use the background music. But the thing is that the video was created by someone else and the script was written by someone else and then spoken by that same person. So who gets to monetize that video on "Be Inspired's" channel. Them or the original creator whose voice is the main content of the video or Audiojungle, even though the audio probably has been purchased?

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm assuming with a channel of that size that they do have the license to use the background music. But the thing is that the video was created by someone else and the script was written by someone else and then spoken by that same person. So who gets to monetize that video on "Be Inspired's" channel. Them or the original creator whose voice is the main content of the video or Audiojungle, even though the audio probably has been purchased?

Generally if people outsource their scipts and narration, they usually pay someone to do their spoken words and script per video, that's outside of monetisation. If the channel has a contract and employees (like Good Mythical Morning and WhatCulture for example) they more than likely pay staff as employees on salery, but those employees wouldn't have access to the monetisation royalties outside of whatever the company paid for those services in the first place.

The audiojungle and ANY music copyright is seperate to that. Generally talents is paid BEFORE or duing the video creation process (editing, writing, filmings, assistants or whatever) AFTER the video is published, they don't get any more royalties, BUT if the video used copyrighted music, any profits there on would go to the music copyright owner only.

Reactions: Core Freedom
OP
OP
Core Freedom

Core Freedom

Recognized Member
Yes, except in this case the voice on the video is the script writer and the voice over. He owns the video (he states so on his channel, which is another channel, not Be Inspired). The only thing that does not belong to the owner is the music from Audiojungle, which he states is purchased from Audiojungle. So, all of his videos are just one static video that loops over and over since it's just a meditation for auditory purposes, not for visual purposes, are about affirmations. On his channel he would monetize the entire thing, because he purchased the Audiojungle piece. What I don't understand is how Be Inspired can take his video and upload it to their channel, receive over 11 million views in less than 2 years. Who exactly monetizes the video on Be Inspired?

I hope I'm making myself more clear. I get all the monetization issues of music, royalties, etc.. What I don't understand is how the owner of channel B can take a video from someone else's channel A, get 11 million views, unless get would get monetized. Which doesn't seem right at all since the owner of channel B created the script, is the voice talent and paid for Audiojungle's background music.

My whole point for asking these questions is because I create meditations myself. I write the script, I speak the script, I own my own music and I would like to give others the permission to upload my videos to their channels, but only if I can monetize the video. I'm 99% sure that since all of the contents are mine that I would get the monetization. However, how does Youtube know that the video is actually mine and not other people's own creation? Do my videos/audios first need to get registered with something like cdBaby or does YouTube use their own algorithms to figure this out?

Better safe than sorry. I've had my fair share of copyright claims in the past because I purchased music from third-party sources. Hence, why I create my own music today.

Thanks all for participating. It's an important topic in the world of YouTube!